AKG microphones

I was reccently given 2 old microphes. In an emergancy, I needed to
use them in a PA situation. These mics were unbelievable, because
phantom power was on some mics, I thought they were condenser
microphones by the way they sounded. I have been looking for weeks to
find out what they were. I asked an old sound guy and he said they
were AKG 202d's. Where can I find info on these?
11 answers Last reply
More about microphones

    "Otis_thick" <otis_thick2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I was reccently given 2 old microphes. In an emergancy, I needed to
    > use them in a PA situation. These mics were unbelievable, because
    > phantom power was on some mics, I thought they were condenser
    > microphones by the way they sounded. I have been looking for weeks to
    > find out what they were. I asked an old sound guy and he said they
    > were AKG 202d's. Where can I find info on these?

    Very common dynamic mic used in the 70s. Sort of a work-horse, when you ran
    out of Shure 545/546s. I've used them on guitar cabs, kick drum, toms, and
    even on brass, when in a pinch. I seem to recall using a pair on BG
    singers, when first choices weren't quite right.
    Steve King

    D202 <http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank/psfile/mediafile/91/D_2023ece96472947f.zip>

    In article <9045ac3e.0407301401.10521997@posting.google.com> otis_thick2000@yahoo.com writes:

    > I was reccently given 2 old microphes.

    > I asked an old sound guy and he said they
    > were AKG 202d's. Where can I find info on these?

    It's the middle range of their two-way cardioid dynamic mics. The
    bottom end was the D-200 and the top of the line was the D-224. I (and
    a few others who come out of the woodwork when the subject comes up)
    have a pair of D-224's. I used my D-224 mics with my Sony TCD-5
    cassette recorder for field recording and it sounded very good.

    The frequency response plot in the brochure looks flatter than the mic
    proably really is, but they make strong claims for the 90 degree
    off-axis response being very similar to the on-axis response, and
    fairly flat response down to 30 Hz.

    It's certainly a good mic to get for free.

    In article <fsadnV2apoQLSZfcRVn-tw@comcast.com> steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net writes:

    > > AKG 202d's.

    > Very common dynamic mic used in the 70s. Sort of a work-horse, when you ran
    > out of Shure 545/546s.

    Really? Where I hung out, they were pretty rare. I occasionally ran
    into a D-200 (the low end of that line) but I don't think I've
    actually ever seen a D-202 in use.

    > In article <fsadnV2apoQLSZfcRVn-tw@comcast.com>
    steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net writes:

    > > > AKG 202d's.
    >
    > > Very common dynamic mic used in the 70s. Sort of a work-horse, when you
    ran
    > > out of Shure 545/546s.
    >

    > Really? Where I hung out, they were pretty rare. I occasionally ran
    > into a D-200 (the low end of that line) but I don't think I've
    > actually ever seen a D-202 in use.

    So, maybe they were only popular in Chicago, then ;-) I know Sound Studios,
    Paragon, and Universal all had a few. We also had D224s.

    Steve King

    Otis_thick <otis_thick2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >I was reccently given 2 old microphes. In an emergancy, I needed to
    >use them in a PA situation. These mics were unbelievable, because
    >phantom power was on some mics, I thought they were condenser
    >microphones by the way they sounded. I have been looking for weeks to
    >find out what they were. I asked an old sound guy and he said they
    >were AKG 202d's. Where can I find info on these?

    Ask AKG, they will still have data sheets. Those are still very common
    PA microphones in Europe. If you are used to SM57s or something else
    with a huge honking presence peak, you will find these (or anything with
    a reasonably flat midrange) a real shock.
    --scott

    Otis_thick wrote:
    > I was reccently given 2 old microphes. In an emergancy, I needed to
    > use them in a PA situation. These mics were unbelievable, because
    > phantom power was on some mics, I thought they were condenser
    > microphones by the way they sounded. I have been looking for weeks to
    > find out what they were. I asked an old sound guy and he said they
    > were AKG 202d's. Where can I find info on these?

    http://www.akg.com/akg_structuretree/powerslave,id,15,mynodeid,15,_language,EN.html

    or

    http://www.akg.com/akg_structuretree/powerslave,id,15,mynodeid,15,_language,EN.html

    should get you there.

    geoff

    > In article <fsadnV2apoQLSZfcRVn-tw@comcast.com>
    steve@REMOVETHISSPAMBLOCKsteveking.net writes:

    > > > AKG 202d's.
    >
    > > Very common dynamic mic used in the 70s. Sort of a work-horse, when you
    ran
    > > out of Shure 545/546s.
    >

    > Really? Where I hung out, they were pretty rare. I occasionally ran
    > into a D-200 (the low end of that line) but I don't think I've
    > actually ever seen a D-202 in use.

    They were pretty common in St. Louis, mebbe not as common as the Shures, but
    they were a favorite first-step-up. Our community radio station had quite a
    few, and a couple of the better bars in town did too. And the guy who
    started our contra-dance group used them for a while, until he found out how
    rugged they weren't.

    Peace,
    Paul

    Try the AKG Archives.

    I really really like the two-way AKGs, D200, D202, D222, D224... I think
    that's it...

    The 224 is definitely the best of the lot; this thing will beat many
    condensers, old or new, when it comes to picking up the actual tone/sound of
    the source you're trying to record.

    They also feature the Vari-D thingy which means almost zero proximity
    effect.
    The EV Vari-D design actually has some gentle bass boost up close, but the
    AKGs have no P.E. at all.

    I fitted new coils-elements in my 224 and 200, and adjusted the D200 X-Over.
    They're simply amazing on things like snare and toms and most strings come
    out sounding really nice indeed.

    JP

    "Otis_thick" <otis_thick2000@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > I was reccently given 2 old microphes. In an emergancy, I needed to
    > use them in a PA situation. These mics were unbelievable, because
    > phantom power was on some mics, I thought they were condenser
    > microphones by the way they sounded. I have been looking for weeks to
    > find out what they were. I asked an old sound guy and he said they
    > were AKG 202d's. Where can I find info on these?

    Actually, the high frequency capsule (crossed over at 500 Hz) has a
    proximity effect, so there is a thick, wooden quality put on female
    voices if closed miked; be prepared to dip the 500 Hz region or dont't
    mike too closely.....

    JP Gerard wrote:
    > Try the AKG Archives.
    >
    > I really really like the two-way AKGs, D200, D202, D222, D224... I think
    > that's it...
    >
    > The 224 is definitely the best of the lot; this thing will beat many
    > condensers, old or new, when it comes to picking up the actual tone/sound of
    > the source you're trying to record.
    >
    > They also feature the Vari-D thingy which means almost zero proximity
    > effect.
    > The EV Vari-D design actually has some gentle bass boost up close, but the
    > AKGs have no P.E. at all.
    >
    > I fitted new coils-elements in my 224 and 200, and adjusted the D200 X-Over.
    > They're simply amazing on things like snare and toms and most strings come
    > out sounding really nice indeed.
    >
    > JP
    >

    > "Otis_thick" <otis_thick2000@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
    >
    >>I was reccently given 2 old microphes. In an emergancy, I needed to
    >>use them in a PA situation. These mics were unbelievable, because
    >>phantom power was on some mics, I thought they were condenser
    >>microphones by the way they sounded. I have been looking for weeks to
    >>find out what they were. I asked an old sound guy and he said they
    >>were AKG 202d's. Where can I find info on these?

    Hey, there was indeed a little bump in my224, which I actually always
    thought was around 600Hz, but I still heard it from a distance.

    When the HF element died, I put a fresh one (AKG had a spare, amazing!) and
    the low mids suddenly flattened.

    Side note: I ordered a complete dual assembly for my 200, AKG had a few left
    (!!!) but the HF element was OUT OF PHASE with the LF element!!!

    After correcting the problem, the mic performed well, although I had to
    re-tune the X-Over to flattened the low mids (again).

    JP

    "Don Richardson" <donr39ca@netscape.net> a écrit dans le message de
    > Actually, the high frequency capsule (crossed over at 500 Hz) has a
    > proximity effect, so there is a thick, wooden quality put on female
    > voices if closed miked; be prepared to dip the 500 Hz region or dont't
    > mike too closely.....
    >
    > JP Gerard wrote:
    > > Try the AKG Archives.
    > >
    > > I really really like the two-way AKGs, D200, D202, D222, D224... I think
    > > that's it...
    > >
    > > The 224 is definitely the best of the lot; this thing will beat many
    > > condensers, old or new, when it comes to picking up the actual
    tone/sound of
    > > the source you're trying to record.
    > >
    > > They also feature the Vari-D thingy which means almost zero proximity
    > > effect.
    > > The EV Vari-D design actually has some gentle bass boost up close, but
    the
    > > AKGs have no P.E. at all.
    > >
    > > I fitted new coils-elements in my 224 and 200, and adjusted the D200
    X-Over.
    > > They're simply amazing on things like snare and toms and most strings
    come
    > > out sounding really nice indeed.
    > >
    > > JP
    > >

    > > "Otis_thick" <otis_thick2000@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > >
    > >>I was reccently given 2 old microphes. In an emergancy, I needed to
    > >>use them in a PA situation. These mics were unbelievable, because
    > >>phantom power was on some mics, I thought they were condenser
    > >>microphones by the way they sounded. I have been looking for weeks to
    > >>find out what they were. I asked an old sound guy and he said they
    > >>were AKG 202d's. Where can I find info on these?

Pro Audio Audio