Freeing Up Upper Memory

Sorceror

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
How do you either free up additional conventional memory OR how can you free up Upper Memory? Please help.

The Wizard

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Are you talking about pure DOS or for DOS shell from Windows?

Really rusty on this but in pure DOS you need an Extended Memory driver and an Expanded Memory driver. The standard ones are Himem.sys and EMM386.exe, respectively.

Your Config.sys file would look something like this.

Device=himem.sys
Device=emm386.exe (I forget the parameters but leaving them out should work).
Dos=high, umb (This enables Upper Memory Blocks (UMB) and loads the DOS command processor into high memory leaving more conventional memory available)

If you have any more device drivers you can load them into high memory using:

DeviceHigh= (instead of Device=)

You can even load EMM386.exe high but It is pretty big if I remember. Programs (device drivers and TSRs) are loaded into UMBs and space is limited. UMBs are small pockets of memory above the first 640KB of memory (yes, Kilobytes not Megabytes) and 1000KB. I/O adapter cards also use this address space so there is precious little room. Programs that don't fit into the UMBs are automatically loaded in Conventional memory.

For TSR's, loaded in Autoexec.bat you use

Loadhigh (or just LH) followed by the TSR filename

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm even rustier doing this from within Windows. However try creating a shortcut for Command.com (Win 9X/ME) then edit the properties. Windows has Expanded memory and UMB built-in. You just have to enable them. I think Extended memory (Himem) is enabled by default but I'm not sure. Don't remember if Command.Com automatically loads in high memory or not. If not you need to create a Config.sys file (you can do this in the same properties dialog) and add the DOS=high command.

That's about all I remember about this.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>