Broadband & DECT cordless phones.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Hello Out There:

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can tell me why my
Broadband Internet connection keeps dropping out when I make or receive a
phone call on the same line? This is not supposed to happen is it?

I was told somewhere that DECT digital cordless phones somehow are the
problem. I am not sure if this is the case because a friend of mine is using
one also & does not have this problem.

Whenever I make or receive a phone call when the Internet is connected, I
lose the connection. Why is this so?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Jon.

Hi,

If the DECT digital cordless phones are 2.4GHz or if they're the 5GHz
cordless phones that use 2.4GHz as well then you'll experience interference.

To overcome the interference and disconnections try changing the wireless
channel of your Broadband Wireless Base Station to another channel.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Jon" <advent1701@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello Out There:
>
> I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can tell me why my
> Broadband Internet connection keeps dropping out when I make or receive a
> phone call on the same line? This is not supposed to happen is it?
>
> I was told somewhere that DECT digital cordless phones somehow are the
> problem. I am not sure if this is the case because a friend of mine is
> using
> one also & does not have this problem.
>
> Whenever I make or receive a phone call when the Internet is connected, I
> lose the connection. Why is this so?
>
> Any help gratefully appreciated.
>
> Jon.

PaulO

First, double check you have the filters installed on the
phone line to separate the phone calls from the DSL
signals (you need to set them on all phone jacks with a
phone on it).

Many cordless phones work on same frequencies as wi-fi.
You may want to see if you can change the channel on the
phone (check the phone instructions), and change the
channel on the base station and the wireless adapter.
Changing channels changes the frequency slightly, thus
reducing (or eliminating) interference. Try with lowest
and highest settings (on the network, channels 1 and 11).

I have a cordless phone here, and don't have problems
with it, but many people do. An alternative is to replace
the cordless phone by one that works on frequencies
outside the wi-fi gear.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Hmm, thank you all for your help. I am not sure if I am able to change the
channels of my phone but I will go & find out. Aha, I did not have a filter
on the phone point upstairs. I have now & I have made a call with the net
connected & it did not drop out!

I love you guys, you are ace! :)

Jon.