W2k Prof. vs 98 SE for Games

G

I have Win 98 SE now and am thinking about getting W2K Prof. What’s the consensus on W2k Prof. for gaming? I’ve heard that 98 SE handles gaming better? I would like to get W2k Prof. because it’s more stable and handles memory better etc. I don’t do a lot of gaming, but when I do I don’t want to take a hit on performance or compatibility. Any input?

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
You won't notice a difference besides the lack of blue screen errors and added ability to leave your computer on for months without having to restart.

Although if you do ever get a bsod in 2k/xp, you know it's probably serious.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Zlash is right. The stabily is awesome in Win2k. I would do a clean install then install the SR2 update
and enjoy a stable system. The update helps with security, newer hardware and games among other things.
I love UT and it runs a lot better in Win2k. You would have to try it on your own system to see.
The next Win2k update should be around Q3.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Takes a benchmark to tell the difference, you won't be able to see it.

w2k is very compatible with games (with the exception of some EA sports games...jerks) and it is Sooooo stable.

People come to expect to have to reboot their computer several times a week...it's not supposed to be that way.

actually if you can jump to windows XP that would be the best bet. It's even better than w2k and both are based on NT so you get awesome power and stability.

G

Thanks everyone. I look forward to having a more stable system. I think I see W2k Prof. in my future....

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
it can be, however, picky with games before the year 2000. but as for current ones, no problems

I love helping people in Toms Forums... It reinforces my intellectual superiority! :smile:

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Hell i can run my old little arcade games just fine on it, Asteroids and stuff =p.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"ability to leave your computer on for months"

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

This leads me to two possible conclusions.

1. You're not indigenous to Earth.
2. You're using a Mac to post in this forum.

My gut feeling is 50/50. I'd go either way on this one.