Internet working through an unplugged router

ncb8215

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
My father has his computer connected to a router which is then connected to his modem and has been having difficulties getting onto basic internet websites. He unplugged the router to restart it and forgot about it. Then he tried to access the internet and it is running smoothly...while still connected to an unplugged router. How can this be? And How do we get the wireless connection back without screwing up the desktop connection? In addition, the desktop computer says that it has no connection and that a network cable is unplugged.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

My guess is when he unplugged his router, the PC found an unsecured wireless network and attached itself to that network. That would give him a wireless connection to the Internet and also explain the "cable is unplugged" message on the wired side.

He now needs to re-connect to his own router, make sure he uses the right security key and also check that the MODEM connection is properly makde into the router's Uplink port.

ncb8215

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Saga,

I forgot to say that the computer is at least 10 years old and has no wi-fi abilities. I am figuring the best answer to the problem is to re-install the router? Thanks for your reply.