2nd HD is not recognised by Win 2000 +optimisation

przemekj

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
I have 2 HD, DVD burner and DVD. I have connected both DVDs together to the second IDE using 40 pin cable provided by the Asus. Then I have connected 1st HD as a master and the 2nd as the slave to the primary IDE using 80 pin cable. My problem is that Win 2000, even seeing both HDs as devices does not display them so I can not format the second HD. The first was formatted during the installation. How to format 2nd HD? Additional question is that I will receive tomorrow PCI extension card (as I also have 3rd disk, still not connected). What would be the best configuration? Leave DVDs together on 1 channel, as they are now, leave system disk on mobo as a single device and use 2 PCI card channels for each of remaining 2 disks (1 for data+games, 2nd for video editing)?????????????

Jawsome

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2002
I'm having a similar Problem where I used to have two Hard drives hooked up, but i took one out and used it in a diff computer, and now i have two more additional maxtor 20 gigs that for some reason won't boot up on their own. My main maxtor 20 boots up just fine, but I tried the getting the other two to boot up by themselves, partitioned them, and when it rebooted so i could boot from my winxp cd, it just got stuck at "verifying DMI pool data". It's hard to believe they'd both be defective.

Another thing, I can't use either of them as slave, because whenever i do, despite the fact that my master 20 gig that boots fine by itself, it gives me something like "operating system not found".

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Firstly, make sure the jumpers on both drives are configured correctly. having 2 masters doesnt work.

secondly, go into the bios amnd make sure both drives are being detected correctly.

thirdly go into your device settings...if the drive doesnt appear you may have to try "add new hardware"

if it still doesnt work, then Hmmmm.

Proud owner of the <b>Beige Beast</b> :lol:

przemekj

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
I found the "cheap and dirty" solution to my problem. To answer Master PooBaa, yes my jumpers were configured correctly (master and slave), bios could recognise them correctly and even Windows, but only in "Devices", but not in "My computer" or "Explorer". As my drives are IBM, I went to their Web site and downloaded their "Disk manager 2000". I booted on the floppy with this program, were able to format disk in FAT 32 (IBN does not format NTFS) and miracle - Windows suddenly sees 2 disks, so I could reformat it into NTFS.

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
You will never see an HDD in "my computer" if you do not make any partition on it.
When you install a new hard disk you must go in Control panel>>administration tools>>computer management>>disk management.
Here you will see all you hard disk and you can create a dynamic or base (default) volume and partition and format using NTFS or FAT32. From here you can even create software RAID array using two or more partition on dynamic volumes (on different physical disk)

the last is in the past