Sign in with
Your question

How to allow 2 or more computers to find info on 2 or more routers?

Last response: in Networking
July 29, 2012 8:19:05 PM

Hello, my name is Jodi. I am the IT guru for my brother's business. Now, when I say GURU, I mean, i am in college for IT at the moment, and i am the only one in the business that knows enough about computers to do anything as far as networking. I have a question i would like to bounce of someone. I am sure that there is a way to be able to share files across more than one router ( all in one location) ( both routers in same building, but different ip's for routers). So my question is, how would i be able to share files across both of those routers without having to logg of one router to do something, then log back into the other to finish my work. Let me break it down for you. We deal alot with quickbooks, we have 3 companys in quickbooks enterprise, and right now, we can only look for certain company files while on one particular router. Only some printers are installed over one router, the others are over the other router, so i would have to switch my internet connection to the other router for my computer to be able to see the printer over that router...however we had to put 2 routers in the building because we were using sooo much bandwidth on just one, with like 8 computers in the building. How could i go about doing this...do i need to go back to one router for the whole building, and if so, how can i make the upload/download speed decent enough to be able to funtion with the other computers and their internet browsing in the building. I am hoping one of you will be able to understand how i am describing this. It is a bit confusing to me aswell, so if you need any clarification please let me know..HELP!!

Jodi
July 29, 2012 9:24:33 PM

the other option would be use the same IP scheme on both routers one using LAN IP 192.168.1.1 the other 192.168.1.254.

disable DHCP on the router with 192.168.1.254
then assign static IP to the PC using 192.168.1.254 as a gateway, just make sure the static IPs are outside the DHCP range of the other router
m
l
July 29, 2012 11:07:36 PM

From a distance, the network seems a mess. But it's probably not practical to redesign it from this forum. So rather than do that, let's assume the problem is only YOURS. IOW, you're having a problem juggling the three networks to get your work done. Then why not install a network adapter for EACH network, and now you'd have access to all of them, at the same time!

One potential complication is if more than one router is using the same IP network (e.g., 192.168.1.x). Then it won't work because addressing will be ambiguous (e.g., 192.168.1.100 might exist on multiple networks, so which network is the right one?).

At least that’s a quick-n-dirty way to deal w/ what looks to be a mess. But I suspect you will find at least two routers using the same IP network, maybe all three. Then the only solution is to change them, but I’m not sure how practical that is for you.

But let’s be optimistic and assume they’re all using different IP networks. When you have more than one available gateway (for internet access), Windows will chose one and ignore the others. But Windows has a somewhat arcane way of deciding which one. But we can override that behavior with some manipulation of the routing tables.

Another possible solution is to install Hamachi on all the machines that need to access to each other, thus forming another “virtual” network. Because Hamachi uses the 5.x.x.x network, you’ll never have conflicts w/ your existing networks. In fact, if you added a laptop to that same network, you’d have remote access as well!
m
l
Related resources
!