Switch between 2 ethernet cables 1 computer

spaceymom

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
We have 2 internet providers and I would like to find some way to switch our 5 computers between the 2 internets without having to unplug the ethernet cables everytime someone wants to switch. Is there some type of switch we can buy for each computer to do this or is there no such thing?

spaceymom

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Since I had never heard of that I looked them up. I can see where those would be very useful for a business. We aren't really concerned about connectivity. This is just my family and I was hoping for something simple and cheap. I want to be able to choose which provider is being used depending on what each kid is doing(1st person shooter vs utube videos) and how close to the limits for the month we are.

Understood, but I've never heard of such a device or software. That’s a somewhat loosely defined set of requirements, which is not something that computers handle well. You’d need something that manages the two connections, monitors your caps, monitors activity, knows about individual users (their needs and habits), etc. That’s a tall order, and about the only thing that comes close is a higher end router (and even then I’m not sure it would quite meet your expectations). If it exists at all, I suspect it would be a business product given the level of specialization ( $$$). Or maybe you could find a software based router w/ these features (WinGate, pfSense, Sonicwall, etc.). But those are pretty complex products and could quickly overwhelm the average user.

That’s sometimes the problem in computing. What seems like such a simple idea is sometimes very hard to implement, or so specialized and/or of limited interest, it’s either never developed, or if it is, it’s too darn expensive.

Anyway, I don’t mean to sound overly pessimistic, just realistic. If I think of something over the next few days (sometimes you have a brainstorm late at night), I’ll report back. And hey, you never know if the next guy has discovered something wonderful and just right over the next hill.

spaceymom

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I was kind of hoping there was something that you could plug the 2 ethernet cables in the back and one output from the front goes to the computer and there is a physical switch that would need to be pushed to make it switch from one to the other. Wasn't really expecting the switch to be smart. Like a coaxial A/B switch.

TRENDING THREADS