Laptop cardbus soundcard w/optical out?

Last response: in Home Audio
a b D Laptop
July 31, 2004 11:39:54 PM

is there such a beastie? I mean a cardbus
card with an optical output. All I can find
so far are either outboard units with optical outs,
or cardbus cards that have analog out or
SPDIF digital output.

--

-S.
"We started to see evidence of the professional groupie in the early 80's.

> Steven Sullivan ssully@panix.com

>is there such a beastie? I mean a cardbus
>card with an optical output. All I can find
>so far are either outboard units with optical outs,
>or cardbus cards that have analog out or
>SPDIF digital output.

You might consider a cardbus firewire interface, and use a firewire
interface, or get a Midiman rca/spdif to optical/spdif converter. I know you
probabaly want less weight and battery wireless operation, but if you need
optical out you probably have a powered device as a destination anyway, and if
you seriously wish to power 48 volts phantom to your mics you might prefer to
plug them all in the wall anyway.

That said, the Digigram VX Pocket's sound pretty good (spdif RCA only, I
know) , but I've used one a bit and they're decent for the money. Mike Rivers
has one too I think. And they have a newer 4 channel I/O version, full
duplex...

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2004 1:26:39 AM

WillStG <willstg@aol.comnospam> wrote:
> > Steven Sullivan ssully@panix.com

> >is there such a beastie? I mean a cardbus
> >card with an optical output. All I can find
> >so far are either outboard units with optical outs,
> >or cardbus cards that have analog out or
> >SPDIF digital output.
> >

> You might consider a cardbus firewire interface, and use a firewire
> interface, or get a Midiman rca/spdif to optical/spdif converter. I know you
> probabaly want less weight and battery wireless operation, but if you need
> optical out you probably have a powered device as a destination anyway, and if
> you seriously wish to power 48 volts phantom to your mics you might prefer to
> plug them all in the wall anyway.

> That said, the Digigram VX Pocket's sound pretty good (spdif RCA only, I
> know) , but I've used one a bit and they're decent for the money. Mike Rivers
> has one too I think. And they have a newer 4 channel I/O version, full
> duplex...

Thanks, Will. I'm not so much (not at all, actually) looking for a
recording setup, merely the leanest wired setup for porting a laptop's
audio digitally to a standard consumer-grade preamp/receiver, practically
all of which feature Toslink inputs these days. The laptop I'm using
(Dell Inspiron 3800) has a built-in card with a single minijack out, and
the sound is awful. Seeking an upgrade, I was surprised to find that
while it's easy to find cardbus cards with firewire, USB, wireless, or
analog/RCA, or multipin S/PDIF outputs, none have a simple Toslink (or
even 'coaxial') digital out. Seems like one always needs an outboard box
that does the secondary conversion from, say, USB to optical. Quite
possibly there's some simple technical reason for this that I'm ignorant
of...or else there's simply no market for them.

--

-S.
"We started to see evidence of the professional groupie in the early 80's.
Alarmingly, these girls bore a striking resemblance to Motley Crue." --
David Lee Roth
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2004 1:26:40 AM

In article <cembie$dgp$1@reader1.panix.com> ssully@panix.com writes:

> I'm not so much (not at all, actually) looking for a
> recording setup, merely the leanest wired setup for porting a laptop's
> audio digitally to a standard consumer-grade preamp/receiver, practically
> all of which feature Toslink inputs these days.

How are you going to get audio into the computer if you're not
interested in a recording setup? Is your source downloaded files or
CDs ripped to MP3 format (or worse)? If that's the case, make your
life simple and use an analogn interface. You won't lose sound
quality, really, honestly. You never had it to lose.

> (Dell Inspiron 3800) has a built-in card with a single minijack out, and
> the sound is awful.

I wonder why? I have an Inspirion 2650 and, while the sound out of my
Digigram VX card (yes) is better, what comes out of the mini jack is
certainly not awful if the source sounds good.

> Seeking an upgrade, I was surprised to find that
> while it's easy to find cardbus cards with firewire, USB, wireless, or
> analog/RCA, or multipin S/PDIF outputs, none have a simple Toslink (or
> even 'coaxial') digital out.

I think the biggest problem is the connector - it doesn't fit any
standard PCMCIA card format so it would be a custom job for anyone who
took it on to build such a card. Also, there are a limited number of
chips that handle the S/PDIF optical format. All in all, it looks, to
a manufacturer, like a card for which people wouldn't want to pay as
much as it would cost to build. I think that connecting a laptop
computer to a home stereo receiver is a very limited application.

a b D Laptop
August 3, 2004 1:54:03 AM

>Steven Sullivan ssully@panix.com
>Thanks, Will. I'm not so much (not at all, actually) looking for a
>recording setup, merely the leanest wired setup for porting a laptop's
>audio digitally to a standard consumer-grade preamp/receiver, practically
>all of which feature Toslink inputs these days. The laptop I'm using
>(Dell Inspiron 3800) has a built-in card with a single minijack out, and
>the sound is awful. Seeking an upgrade, I was surprised to find that
>while it's easy to find cardbus cards with firewire, USB, wireless, or
>analog/RCA, or multipin S/PDIF outputs, none have a simple Toslink (or
>even 'coaxial') digital out.

You know an RCA spdif has always worked pretty well for me for that kind of
thing, lots of devices have RCA SPIDIF, and the rca/spdif to optical.spdif
converter boxes Midiman makes (the CO2) is only like $65, often less on
blowout.

There's on on Ebay right now at $29.95 Canadian.
78&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2004 1:54:04 AM

In article <20040802175403.29210.00000538@mb-m19.aol.com> willstg@aol.comnospam writes:

> You know an RCA spdif has always worked pretty well for me for that kind of
> thing, lots of devices have RCA SPIDIF, and the rca/spdif to optical.spdif
> converter boxes Midiman makes (the CO2) is only like $65, often less on
> blowout.

If I recall, Radio Shack has a coax-optical S/PDIF adapter for $15.
Oh, yeah, here it is: http://tinyurl.com/6c5cd

Somebody even said it works.

a b D Laptop
August 3, 2004 5:42:11 PM

>mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)

>I think that connecting a laptop
>computer to a home stereo receiver is a very limited application.

As a side note, I was checking out a bunch of DVD players/recorders and
High Definition TVs yesterday, and they all had Spidif Digital on RCA jacks,
not optical.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2004 8:38:51 PM

Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> In article <cembie$dgp$1@reader1.panix.com> ssully@panix.com writes:

> > I'm not so much (not at all, actually) looking for a
> > recording setup, merely the leanest wired setup for porting a laptop's
> > audio digitally to a standard consumer-grade preamp/receiver, practically
> > all of which feature Toslink inputs these days.

> How are you going to get audio into the computer if you're not
> interested in a recording setup?

Flac files stored on an external drive, connected the laptop via
USB.

> Is your source downloaded files or
> CDs ripped to MP3 format (or worse)? If that's the case, make your
> life simple and use an analogn interface. You won't lose sound
> quality, really, honestly. You never had it to lose.

You never heard, or heard of, high-quality MP3? Visit
www.hydrogenaudio.org for much discussion of same.

Actually I want the digital out because I let my receiver do
all the DSP, bass management etc. --
and I want to keep the number of D/A conversions to a minimum.

> > (Dell Inspiron 3800) has a built-in card with a single minijack out, and
> > the sound is awful.

> I wonder why? I have an Inspirion 2650 and, while the sound out of my
> Digigram VX card (yes) is better, what comes out of the mini jack is
> certainly not awful if the source sounds good.

It's a four-year old laptop that I got used, for free. SOmewhat worse for wear.
I tried its minijack, and there was definitely noise being added to the signal --
a hum or buzz IIRC, and the signal was intermittent.
Could be I need better connectors, or there's a short in the jack,
but in any case it still adds a D/A conversion that I'd rather avoid.

--

-S.
"We started to see evidence of the professional groupie in the early 80's.
Alarmingly, these girls bore a striking resemblance to Motley Crue." --
David Lee Roth
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2004 8:43:35 PM

Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> In article <20040802175403.29210.00000538@mb-m19.aol.com> willstg@aol.comnospam writes:

> > You know an RCA spdif has always worked pretty well for me for that kind of
> > thing, lots of devices have RCA SPIDIF, and the rca/spdif to optical.spdif
> > converter boxes Midiman makes (the CO2) is only like $65, often less on
> > blowout.

> If I recall, Radio Shack has a coax-optical S/PDIF adapter for $15.
> Oh, yeah, here it is: http://tinyurl.com/6c5cd

Come to think of it, if I can find a cheap cardbus card with 'coaxial' digital
output (which I assume is a RCA SPDIF?), I don't need a converter, because
my receiver has a coax digital input as well as optical.

--

-S.
"We started to see evidence of the professional groupie in the early 80's.
Alarmingly, these girls bore a striking resemblance to Motley Crue." --
David Lee Roth
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2004 8:45:10 PM

WillStG <willstg@aol.comnospam> wrote:
> >mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers)

> >I think that connecting a laptop
> >computer to a home stereo receiver is a very limited application.

> As a side note, I was checking out a bunch of DVD players/recorders and
> High Definition TVs yesterday, and they all had Spidif Digital on RCA jacks,
> not optical.

Haven't seen any DVD players without optical output for some years now
(msot have both optical and RCA digital out) ...but
haven't ever seen a TV with optical audio input, either.

--

-S.
"We started to see evidence of the professional groupie in the early 80's.
Alarmingly, these girls bore a striking resemblance to Motley Crue." --
David Lee Roth
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 3, 2004 10:41:36 PM

In article <ceof2q$3md$3@reader1.panix.com> ssully@panix.com writes:

> You never heard, or heard of, high-quality MP3? Visit
> www.hydrogenaudio.org for much discussion of same.

Heard of it. I think it has practical industrial applications, but for
home use, I'd rather play CDs or listen to the radio. All that
computer stuff is too high-maintenance for me - downloading,
organizing, and going to the computer every time I want to hear some
music.

There used to be another PCMCIA card with an S/PDIF output, maybe from
Turtle Beach, but I don't think it's around any longer. About the only
thing I can think of is the Digigram VX Pocket. You'll have to accept
the principle of "they don't make what you want so you'll have to take
more if you want it at all." In addition to S/PDIF coax in and out, it
has XLR analog inputs and outputs (with converters that sound quite
good) as well as SMPTE time code input.

a b D Laptop
August 4, 2004 1:44:14 AM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> If I recall, Radio Shack has a coax-optical S/PDIF adapter for $15.
> Oh, yeah, here it is: http://tinyurl.com/6c5cd
>
> Somebody even said it works.

I'm the somebody, or at least I'm a somebody who has said that it works.
It even works for a number of hours with a standard 9 Volt battery
subsituting for its wall wart.
!