No access to internet after changing to a dial up connection

hrist

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
Can someone help me here.

Our ISP provider made our internet connection a dial up. Last time it automatically connects to internet without putting those username and password. So after they changed it only our server pc have internet. Others don't have. The technician from the isp provider keep telling that the switch(but he keeps telling us its a router dunno why) need to be configure but switches dont need to be configure right? Anyway, can someone help me troubleshoot this problem? Sorry i cant give you too much information coz im a noob. And sorry for very long post.

Sounds to me that you're NOT using a router. A router is the ONLY way to share the internet connection from the ISP w/ more than one device. That's why the technician referred to your router. He assumed you had one!

Are you using a PC for this dial-up connection, or some sort of standalone modem?

hrist

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012

Hmm im not sure but i think its a modem - http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/p_660hn_t1a.shtml
Noo he was really pointing our Dlink switch as a router :D he keep insisting that the DLink switch must be configured... Is he right?

I guess that's what happens when you get the details, piecemeal. ;)

So apparently you do have a router, and a switch. And I presume you’ve patched the switch to the router to add more LAN ports. Your typical consumer switch is NOT managed, so no, it wouldn’t require any configuration.

What are these recent changes you speak of? Obviously if it worked before, and some technician visits, and makes changes, and now things work differently, it must be related, particularly if you didn't change anything yourself.

Where are you required to provide the username/password? I know a DSL connection requires a username/password for the PPPoE signon, so all I can assume this is what you're talking about. I suppose it's possible the router was reconfigured and the username/password was lost in the process, and now requires you to provide it. But I still don't understand WHERE and HOW you're providing these, are you being prompted on the PC??