Thinking about dealing with Sweetwater: who's the best sal..

Last response: in Home Audio
August 1, 2004 12:48:55 PM

(I may have to do business with Sweetwater since they're one of the
few dealers that carry Grace Design.)

Can someone give me a name of a senior salesperson that's been there
for a long time and knows his stuff?

I've never done business with Sweetwater before and I'm trying to
avoid being randomly assigned to some here-today-gone-tomorrow kid.

Thanks.
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 2:36:04 PM

"J.W." wrote:

> I've never done business with Sweetwater before and I'm trying to
> avoid being randomly assigned to some here-today-gone-tomorrow kid.

Or, worse yet, some here-today-here-tomorrow kid you can't get rid of.
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 3:19:19 PM

J.W. <jwngaa@att.net> wrote in message news:<8uspg0tel6s2khmae4rl858b8eej1davc8@4ax.com>...
> (I may have to do business with Sweetwater since they're one of the
> few dealers that carry Grace Design.)
>
> Can someone give me a name of a senior salesperson that's been there
> for a long time and knows his stuff?
>
> I've never done business with Sweetwater before and I'm trying to
> avoid being randomly assigned to some here-today-gone-tomorrow kid.
>
> Thanks.

/delurk

Hello group. First time poster in rec.audio.pro. I frequent
alt.guitar.bass.
Learning a lot from the frequent posters here. Like to hear facts, and
some well-voiced opinions on mics, techniques, etc. Your
signal-to-noise ratio in this group is pretty good.

Oh, yeah, I am replying. Mikey Selzer handled my stuff before, and
he's very good at dealing with things in a professional, yet
light-hearted manner.
August 1, 2004 3:54:42 PM

In article <8uspg0tel6s2khmae4rl858b8eej1davc8@4ax.com>, jwngaa@att.net
says...
> Can someone give me a name of a senior salesperson that's been there
> for a long time and knows his stuff?

Hmm... does Nika Aldrich still work there? He seems a pretty bright
guy.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!

"J.W." <jwngaa@att.net> wrote in message

> (I may have to do business with Sweetwater since they're one of the
> few dealers that carry Grace Design.)
>
> Can someone give me a name of a senior salesperson that's been there
> for a long time and knows his stuff?
>
> I've never done business with Sweetwater before and I'm trying to
> avoid being randomly assigned to some here-today-gone-tomorrow kid.
>
> Thanks.

"J.W."

Sweetwater is not the only dealer that carries the Grace Design line. I got
my Grace pre from Bayview Pro Audio and the shipping is free. Mike is a nice
guy to deal with and he will give you a Cascade condenser mike free also.
Check out their new web site at www.bayviewproaudio.com .

Geoley
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 4:46:06 PM

J.W. <jwngaa@att.net> wrote in message news:<8uspg0tel6s2khmae4rl858b8eej1davc8@4ax.com>...
> (I may have to do business with Sweetwater since they're one of the
> few dealers that carry Grace Design.)
>
> Can someone give me a name of a senior salesperson that's been there
> for a long time and knows his stuff?
>
> I've never done business with Sweetwater before and I'm trying to
> avoid being randomly assigned to some here-today-gone-tomorrow kid.
>
> Thanks.

There is guy working there named, Paul Allen. He is great. FUCI<
Brad Lions. He can go to hell. Paul gives fair pricing and is a
gentleman to deal with. Good Luck, Kris SIngh
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 4:50:53 PM

J.W. <jwngaa@att.net> wrote in message news:<8uspg0tel6s2khmae4rl858b8eej1davc8@4ax.com>...
> (I may have to do business with Sweetwater since they're one of the
> few dealers that carry Grace Design.)
>
> Can someone give me a name of a senior salesperson that's been there
> for a long time and knows his stuff?
>
> I've never done business with Sweetwater before and I'm trying to
> avoid being randomly assigned to some here-today-gone-tomorrow kid.
>
> Thanks.

Call and ask for Paul Allen. He gives fair pricing and is a gentleman
to deal with. What ever you do, stay away from Brad. He is a
fucI<ing A$$hole. Best of luck, Kris Singh
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 5:00:58 PM

"J.W." <jwngaa@att.net> wrote in message

> (I may have to do business with Sweetwater since they're one of the
> few dealers that carry Grace Design.)
>
> Can someone give me a name of a senior salesperson that's been there
> for a long time and knows his stuff?
>
> I've never done business with Sweetwater before and I'm trying to
> avoid being randomly assigned to some here-today-gone-tomorrow kid.

I guess it might depend on what area you work in - live sound? digital
recording?, etc. Brad Lyons contributes a lot to recording forums I hang
out at, seems to know his stuff and is friendly and helpful. I have not had
personal dealings with Brad, other than forum postings.

I used to avoid Sweetwater because of price, but if you haven't checked
lately you might be pleasantly surprised. They are fairly competitive now,
and usually offer free shipping with no minimum order. And I've always had
good response from my sales guy, hunting down special orders or obscure
cables, but he's fairly new and probably wouldn't be the guy you'd want.

Steve
August 1, 2004 9:42:12 PM

J.W. <jwngaa@att.net> wrote:

> (I may have to do business with Sweetwater since they're one of the
> few dealers that carry Grace Design.)
>
> Can someone give me a name of a senior salesperson that's been there
> for a long time and knows his stuff?
>
> I've never done business with Sweetwater before and I'm trying to
> avoid being randomly assigned to some here-today-gone-tomorrow kid.
>
> Thanks.

Bob Mondock has been there a long time, is personable and fair.

Concurrently, if you look at the Grace Designs website, you should find
a dealer list.
--
Digital Services Recording Studios
http://www.digisrvs.com

"J.W." <jwngaa@att.net> wrote in message

> (I may have to do business with Sweetwater since they're one of the
> few dealers that carry Grace Design.)
>
> Can someone give me a name of a senior salesperson that's been there
> for a long time and knows his stuff?
>
> I've never done business with Sweetwater before and I'm trying to
> avoid being randomly assigned to some here-today-gone-tomorrow kid.
>
> Thanks.

I can recommend Ted Hunter, he gave me lots of good advice on equipment
choice. Always replied to my emails promptly.

Mike
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 10:23:44 PM

<< (I may have to do business with Sweetwater since they're one of the
few dealers that carry Grace Design.)

Can someone give me a name of a senior salesperson that's been there
for a long time and knows his stuff?

I've never done business with Sweetwater before and I'm trying to
avoid being randomly assigned to some here-today-gone-tomorrow kid.

Sweetwater uses a hierarchial system, so that even if you build a relationship
with a senior salesperson, you're most likely to be handled on subsequent calls
by an "assistant" and they (in my experience) seldom get things right, or get
you the price and support that the senior will get you.

I used to work with Jeff Law there, when I was first building my studio, and I
had a wonderful time working with him.

Avoid "assistants" whenever you can at Sweetwater.

stv
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 1:11:45 AM

I had not dealt with them in years but recently bought some microphones and
headphones from them. Do your homework. I went and found the best price I
could then called them and they beat the price. I deal with Stephan Strunk.
Seems to know stuff pretty well. I am an analog type guy (old) so I don't
know what his level of expertise is as far as digital.

Jerry

"Geoley" <geoley@covad.net> wrote in message

> "J.W." <jwngaa@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > (I may have to do business with Sweetwater since they're one of the
> > few dealers that carry Grace Design.)
> >
> > Can someone give me a name of a senior salesperson that's been there
> > for a long time and knows his stuff?
> >
> > I've never done business with Sweetwater before and I'm trying to
> > avoid being randomly assigned to some here-today-gone-tomorrow kid.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> "J.W."
>
> Sweetwater is not the only dealer that carries the Grace Design line. I
got
> my Grace pre from Bayview Pro Audio and the shipping is free. Mike is a
nice
> guy to deal with and he will give you a Cascade condenser mike free also.
> Check out their new web site at www.bayviewproaudio.com .
>
> Geoley

Anonymous
August 2, 2004 3:06:01 AM

On the flip side.
I was looking for a price on a certain "entry level" product.
The operator took my name and number and said someone would call me back.
They never did.
So I called back again.
I was given to a sales person who only seemed interested in upselling me to
the "high end" version of that product.
Very unprofessional, IMHO.
I've never called back.
August 2, 2004 5:58:02 AM

"Steve Scott" <squeegybug@netspace1.com> wrote in

> I guess it might depend on what area you work in - live sound? digital
> recording?, etc. Brad Lyons contributes a lot to recording forums I
> hang out at, seems to know his stuff and is friendly and helpful. I
> have not had personal dealings with Brad, other than forum postings.

Brad is the salesman I work with at Sweetwater. He knows his product line
fairly well and will do the best he can on pricing. I have called with
competitive prices from other online shops. Sometimes he can match them,
sometimes he can't.

Sweetwater is also known for good support, though I haven't had to test
that yet.
!