Corsair CAS 2 XMS2700 memory - isn't CAS2

gms9087

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
I bought a stick of XMS2700 memory from Corsair to run at 333 mhz with CAS 2 latency, as described on their website.

My motherboard detects it as CAS 2.5 latency and attempts to manually change it to CAS 2 result in no boot whatsoever.

Why would SPD say it is 2.5 if it's really CAS 2 RAM? Is Corsair guaranteeing overclocking or something? Hopefully it isn't supposed to be this way. I do not want to overclock, that's why I bought this RAM. Anyway, it doesn't work either way.

Does anyone have any experience with this memory?

Thank you.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Your BIOS is setting the default not the stick. Check the 1T and 2T settings. I had problems with the 1T command enabled but that is totally different setting than the CAS setting.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

gms9087

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
I thought the SPD information was embedded in the RAM chip itself and read by the BIOS. Also, I read the specs from Corsair's website (2-3-3-5-T1 I think) and entered them manually and it did not work.

One website reported needing to increase the voltage on the RAM in order to get it to run at that speed. Increase voltage to get advertised speed? I am not an overclocker.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
To be fair.. some motherboards and fussy and require voltage changes to run certain RAM, etc... I have heard of many instances with my motherboard (Asus A7M266) where people had to change the voltage on the RAM just to get it to run... not overclocking.. just setting up the system.

Should it be that way... obviously not... Is it that way... sometimes, yes.

Up the voltage a bit and see if that fixes your problem, if it does, great. It is a little strange that the BIOS didn't automatically set it to CAS 2 though since the SPD should do that.... strange...

<font color=green><b>More salt than just a grain you will need with posts of mine. - Yoda</b></font color=green>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
and ive read reports that some of the early revisions of the XMS2700 were buggy. didnt perform as advertised and thus were recalled.

Proud owner of the <b>Beige Beast</b> :lol:

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Weird.... SPD must says to use CAS 2
<b>What motherboard do you have</b> and do you have any other stick of memory together with the new one? I mean, if the other stick of RAM was CAS 2.5, it would be preventing the new one to run at CAS 2
Do you have the RAM setting in auto (or SPD)?

If you have only the new stick:
1) test your motherboard with other CAS 2 stick to be sure that it is capable to run at CAS 2 or test the new stick at CAS 2 in other motherboard.
2) claim for warranty. Remember that you bought CAS 2.

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

gms9087

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
I have an Asus P4S533, which has official support for DDR333. I bought this chipset (SiS 645DX) specifically to run DDR333 CAS2 memory. I have the RAM setting on SPD. Attempts at manually setting it have resulted in no boot. I only have the one stick of RAM.

Can anyone suggest any real CAS2 memory that actually defaults to CAS 2 via SPD? All I want is simple 333 mhz CAS2 RAM, no overclocking. Didn't realize it would be a major operation.

Thanks.

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
I insist, is weird, SPD must put the settings at CAS 2 automatically. I think it’s just a faulty RAM.
The easiest way should be to test the RAM in other system at CAS 2…. However there is the possibility of RAM-motherboard incompatibility.
Did you buy all the parts at the same dealer? If so, you should show the problem to them.

Anyway, in this case would be good to make a double test: motherboard AND memory.

Can anyone suggest any real CAS2 memory that actually defaults to CAS 2 via SPD

Corsair PC 2700 CAS 2 (no joke)
Samsung PC 2700: this memory is CAS 2.5, however I still don’t see one of those sticks not being able to run at 166 MHz (333 DDR) CAS 2

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

gms9087

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
Unfortunately I don't have another DDR-compatible motherboard around to try the RAM in.

You mention testing both the motherboard and memory. How would you suggest testing the motherboard?

Thanks.