My download rate seems to low, with powerline

bennetinc

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Hey guys I just got a Netgear powerline in the mail and set it up. It's the 85 Mbps version. I started to download a game off steam with it and I'm downloading at around 250 Kbps, which is worse than my wireless connection most of the time. Do you guys have any ideas why it's not at least 1 Mbps, or even 5 Mbps. I have my computer in my bedroom but when it's in the dining room I get around 1.2 Mbps with wireless, and in my bedroom I get 250 Kbps or so. So any ideas on how to improve my connection speed or why it's so slow would be awesome.

Thanks Guys,
Bennet

Solution
In general, powerline is very unpredictable in terms of performance. It might not work at all, or work marginally (2-3Mbps), or fairly well (12-18Mbps), and once in awhile great (>35Mbps). Frankly, the 85Mbps generation is beginning to showing its age (since replaced by 200Mbps, 500Mbps, and even Gigabit making it way to the scene now).

Besides trying different outlets, try removing/moving electrical devices and see if things improve. Sometimes it’s just a particularly noisy device causing the problem.

bennetinc

Honorable
May 14, 2012
LOL, oops it's Kilo Bytes per sec, not bits but that doesn't explain why i'm still getting slow downloads. Like a 10 MB file takes around a minute or two to download, thats slow right. :pt1cable: Also that means I'm downloading slow.

In general, powerline is very unpredictable in terms of performance. It might not work at all, or work marginally (2-3Mbps), or fairly well (12-18Mbps), and once in awhile great (>35Mbps). Frankly, the 85Mbps generation is beginning to showing its age (since replaced by 200Mbps, 500Mbps, and even Gigabit making it way to the scene now).

Besides trying different outlets, try removing/moving electrical devices and see if things improve. Sometimes it’s just a particularly noisy device causing the problem.

Solution