ideal sound level for recording wavs

Last response: in Home Audio
August 2, 2004 3:26:11 AM

i'm getting agrivated. I use wave lab lite to record wavs from my vcr or dvd
player
i have a terra tec sound card so i can adjust the gains of the ins and outs

The levels are not supposed to max out and go into the red right?
yellow at the most.
I think the peak is around 3-6 db.
But when i record, the volume of the wav file comes outextremely low

not nearly as high as a wav file ripped from a music cd.
So I boost the db level on the whole thing and it comes out distorted a little.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 3:26:12 AM

"KnightRdrX" <knightrdrx@aol.com> wrote in message
> i'm getting agrivated. I use wave lab lite to record wavs from my vcr or
dvd
> player
> i have a terra tec sound card so i can adjust the gains of the ins and
outs

> The levels are not supposed to max out and go into the red right?
> yellow at the most.
> I think the peak is around 3-6 db.
> But when i record, the volume of the wav file comes outextremely low
>
> not nearly as high as a wav file ripped from a music cd.
> So I boost the db level on the whole thing and it comes out distorted a
little.

Maybe try checking the audio options in windows (if thats your os) & max
levels there as well. also instead of boosting db level try normalize. i
dont know if wl lite has this but the regular wavelab does.
-a
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 11:13:42 AM

In article <20040801192611.13589.00002578@mb-m12.aol.com> knightrdrx@aol.com writes:

> The levels are not supposed to max out and go into the red right?

Right.

> I think the peak is around 3-6 db.
> But when i record, the volume of the wav file comes outextremely low
>
> not nearly as high as a wav file ripped from a music cd.
> So I boost the db level on the whole thing and it comes out distorted a little.

Where are you boosting the level? You may be overloading something
outside the sound card and making a clean recording of a distorted
signal.

CD audio is processed in ways that's designed to make it sound loud.
Audio from other sources, even if it has the same PEAK level, probalby
has a lower AVERAGE level and therefore won't sound as loud.

Learn to use one of the nearly forgotten controls that you have in
front of you - the PLAYBACK volume control. If your recordings aren't
loud enough for you, turn them up when playing them back.