delta audio card

Last response: in Home Audio
August 1, 2004 11:27:42 PM

i have the older delta (m-audio) audiophile card using an external a/d
converter. i think the digital input on the card is fried because it won't
receive signal from the digital wire but works on the analog inputs. i took
the a/d converter to the music store where i bought it and tested that & it
works fine. has anyone had this problem? is there really a big difference
with this card using the analog inputs inst. of the digital? opinions &
comments solicited. thanks
-alan

More about : delta audio card

Anonymous
August 2, 2004 3:02:05 AM

In news:D readed <bla@blabla.bla> typed:
> i have the older delta (m-audio) audiophile card using an external a/d
> converter. i think the digital input on the card is fried because it
> won't receive signal from the digital wire but works on the analog
> inputs. i took the a/d converter to the music store where i bought it
> and tested that & it works fine. has anyone had this problem? is
> there really a big difference with this card using the analog inputs
> inst. of the digital? opinions & comments solicited. thanks
> -alan

M-audio product come with a lifetime warrantee, why not just have the
unit checked and repaired by them?

--
www.odysea.ca
Anonymous

"dreaded" <bla@blabla.bla> wrote in message

> i have the older delta (m-audio) audiophile card using an external a/d
> converter. i think the digital input on the card is fried because it
> won't receive signal from the digital wire but works on the analog
> inputs. i took the a/d converter to the music store where i bought it
> and tested that & it works fine. has anyone had this problem?

Does this mean that the music store found that both the analog and digital
inputs work properly?

> is there really a big difference with this card using the analog inputs
> inst. of the digital? opinions & comments solicited. thanks

Not really. What did you want to connect to the digital input?
August 2, 2004 2:22:55 PM

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:27:42 -0700, "dreaded" <bla@blabla.bla> wrote:

>i have the older delta (m-audio) audiophile card using an external a/d
>converter. i think the digital input on the card is fried because it won't
>receive signal from the digital wire but works on the analog inputs. i took
>the a/d converter to the music store where i bought it and tested that & it
>works fine. has anyone had this problem? is there really a big difference
>with this card using the analog inputs inst. of the digital? opinions &
>comments solicited. thanks

I think you're in a win/win here :-)

I suspect you'll hear no difference using the analogue input and the
internal a/d converter. (Unless your external converter was part of a
preamp that added "desirable" distortion to the sound)

M-Audio are very good about repairing their cards, at any age.

August 2, 2004 3:04:14 PM

In article <cek8o1$63q$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu> bla@blabla.bla writes:

> i have the older delta (m-audio) audiophile card using an external a/d
> converter. i think the digital input on the card is fried because it won't
> receive signal from the digital wire but works on the analog inputs.

Are you sure you have all the settings correct, in all the possible
places? There may simply be a button somehwere that selects or
mutes/unmutes the digital input, or perhaps there's a volume slider on
that input that's all the way down. I had that kind of cockpit trouble
when I tried using the digital input on my Lynx L22 card after not
using it for many months (and forgetting where all the software knobs
were). The slider for the digital input level is all the way over to
the right-hand end of the on-screen mixer, and I had "cropped" that
view so the slider wasn't visible, so I forgot about it. Sure enough,
when I expanded the window to the full view, there it was, all the way
off.

> i took
> the a/d converter to the music store where i bought it and tested that & it
> works fine.

I assume that means you connected its digital output to the digital
input of a different sound card at the store and got a recording. That
eliminates the converter as the source of your problem.

> is there really a big difference
> with this card using the analog inputs inst. of the digital?

It depends on what kind of converter you're using. If it's a really
fine one (for starters, costs over $1,000) then it's probably better
than the the internal converters. But if it's something on the order
of the inexpensive stand-alone converters that M-Audio has, the
internal analog inputs are probably just as good.

I'd check your settings, and then verify your connections by trying to
record some other digital source (maybe a CD player?) through the
digital input of your Delta card.

If all that fails, finish what you're doing using the card's analog
inputs (betcha don't notice any significant difference in the tracks
recorded with the outboard A/D converter) and when you can afford to
be out of commission for a couple of weeks, call M-Audio, get a return
authorization, and send the card back to them for repair.

August 2, 2004 7:47:33 PM

dreaded wrote:

> i have the older delta (m-audio) audiophile card using an external a/d
> converter. i think the digital input on the card is fried because it won't
> receive signal from the digital wire but works on the analog inputs. i took
> the a/d converter to the music store where i bought it and tested that & it
> works fine. has anyone had this problem? is there really a big difference
> with this card using the analog inputs inst. of the digital? opinions &
> comments solicited. thanks
> -alan

Did you check the digital cable? Maybe the card is working fine but the
cable's dead.
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 11:52:49 PM

> In article <cek8o1$63q$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu> bla@blabla.bla writes:
>
> > i have the older delta (m-audio) audiophile card using an external a/d
> > converter. i think the digital input on the card is fried because it
won't
> > receive signal from the digital wire but works on the analog inputs.
>
> Are you sure you have all the settings correct, in all the possible
> places? There may simply be a button somehwere that selects or
> mutes/unmutes the digital input, or perhaps there's a volume slider on
> that input that's all the way down. I had that kind of cockpit trouble
> when I tried using the digital input on my Lynx L22 card after not
> using it for many months (and forgetting where all the software knobs
> were). The slider for the digital input level is all the way over to
> the right-hand end of the on-screen mixer, and I had "cropped" that
> view so the slider wasn't visible, so I forgot about it. Sure enough,
> when I expanded the window to the full view, there it was, all the way
> off.
>
> > i took
> > the a/d converter to the music store where i bought it and tested that &
it
> > works fine.
>
> I assume that means you connected its digital output to the digital
> input of a different sound card at the store and got a recording. That
> eliminates the converter as the source of your problem.
>
> > is there really a big difference
> > with this card using the analog inputs inst. of the digital?
>
> It depends on what kind of converter you're using. If it's a really
> fine one (for starters, costs over $1,000) then it's probably better
> than the the internal converters. But if it's something on the order
> of the inexpensive stand-alone converters that M-Audio has, the
> internal analog inputs are probably just as good.
>
> I'd check your settings, and then verify your connections by trying to
> record some other digital source (maybe a CD player?) through the
> digital input of your Delta card.
>
> If all that fails, finish what you're doing using the card's analog
> inputs (betcha don't notice any significant difference in the tracks
> recorded with the outboard A/D converter) and when you can afford to
> be out of commission for a couple of weeks, call M-Audio, get a return
> authorization, and send the card back to them for repair.

yes my ext. converter is a cheap one (flying calf) and you are correct about
how i tested it. i did go over and over any possible software fixes to no
avail and the delta software panel is pretty straight forward. honestly i
haven't noticed any difference at all between using the external and
internal a/d converter and even if i did i would probably like the dirtier
one better :}
Thanks, i'll call M-audio anyway.
-alan
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 2:42:54 AM

On 2004-08-02, dreaded <bla@blabla.bla> wrote:

> i have the older delta (m-audio) audiophile card using an external a/d
> converter. i think the digital input on the card is fried because it won't
> receive signal from the digital wire but works on the analog inputs.

You're not trying to plug a Sony DAT walkman in by any chance are you?
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 2:42:55 AM

"james of tucson" <fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote in message
> On 2004-08-02, dreaded <bla@blabla.bla> wrote:
>
> > i have the older delta (m-audio) audiophile card using an external a/d
> > converter. i think the digital input on the card is fried because it
won't
> > receive signal from the digital wire but works on the analog inputs.
>
> You're not trying to plug a Sony DAT walkman in by any chance are you?

no, it's an analog source through a "flying calf" a/d converter.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 10:50:37 AM

"james of tucson" <fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote in
message news:slrncotcp3.7ha.fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com
> On 2004-08-02, dreaded <bla@blabla.bla> wrote:
>
>> i have the older delta (m-audio) audiophile card using an external
>> a/d converter. i think the digital input on the card is fried
>> because it won't receive signal from the digital wire but works on
>> the analog inputs.

IME, getting digital inputs to work is a lot tougher than getting analog
inputs to work.

Lots of things are usually up in the air, including knowing whether or not
the digital source is working properly.

The most common errror is not having the card set up properly for clocking
for the digital source.

Frankly, I've seen a lot more fried analog inputs than digital inputs.
Chances are good that the equipment is good, but the problem is how it is
set up.

Do you currently have any digital interfaces that are working properly? If
so, you can do some troubleshooting by swapping parts between the working
and non-working setups.

Other than that, you might help yourself by carefully reading the manual for
the Delta card and trying various options.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 11:43:06 AM

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 23:42:54 GMT, james of tucson
<fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote:

>> i have the older delta (m-audio) audiophile card using an external a/d
>> converter. i think the digital input on the card is fried because it won't
>> receive signal from the digital wire but works on the analog inputs.

Have you noticed the Consumer/Pro switch for digital input in the
Delta Control Panel?

November 8, 2004 7:20:06 PM

> "james of tucson" <fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> wrote in
> message news:slrncotcp3.7ha.fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com
> > On 2004-08-02, dreaded <bla@blabla.bla> wrote:
> >
> >> i have the older delta (m-audio) audiophile card using an external
> >> a/d converter. i think the digital input on the card is fried
> >> because it won't receive signal from the digital wire but works on
> >> the analog inputs.
>
> IME, getting digital inputs to work is a lot tougher than getting analog
> inputs to work.
>
> Lots of things are usually up in the air, including knowing whether or not
> the digital source is working properly.
>
> The most common errror is not having the card set up properly for
clocking
> for the digital source.
>
> Frankly, I've seen a lot more fried analog inputs than digital inputs.
> Chances are good that the equipment is good, but the problem is how it is
> set up.
>
> Do you currently have any digital interfaces that are working properly? If
> so, you can do some troubleshooting by swapping parts between the working
> and non-working setups.
>
> Other than that, you might help yourself by carefully reading the manual
for
> the Delta card and trying various options.

i tried all options including every virtual switch on the delta panel. i
even replaced the m-audio cable. it used to work fine and i know how it was
set up. i tested the spdif cable and the a/d box at the store and they are
fine too. maybe if i try some computer voodoo, like not paying attention to
it for a while and then going back to it, it'll work. actually i want to
upgrade to the 1010 anyway. thanks
-greg
!