Samsung DDR - Customer Sample vs Mass production?

FunkeFeet

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
Hello,
I'm ready to purchase 512MB of Samsung PC2700 and want to know what the real difference is---in performance/potential overclocking---between the Samsung Customer sample modules, i.e. M381L6423DTL-CB3 versus the Mass production module M368L6423CTL-CB3.

Are they equals as the Newegg rep stated they were?

Thanks in advance

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FunkeFeet on 07/16/02 08:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
perhaps a "bad" stick?...
i dunno either...sorry about the bum samsung ram you got (err...had)...

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

FunkeFeet

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
Hello again,
Finally, an answer! I sent an email to Samsung semiconductor asking about the difference between the Customer Sample vs Mass production module. Here's their response.

"A Customer Sample is while product is in internal qualification. When a product finishes qual process, it goes into production for volume Mass production."

My follow-up question was "Do the Customer sample modules retain their model number once they finish qual process or is a new model number assigned to the module?

I asked that question because as many of us know, there are online retailers selling Samsung modules with the "Customer Sample" model number. I think it's only fair that we get the finished product for our well earned dollars.

Stay tuned . . .

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
thanks for the info...hope to hear from you more..

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

FunkeFeet

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
To everyone who ever wanted to know the difference between the TRUE Samsung modules "Customer Samples" vs "Mass Production" here's the answer . . .

NOTE:, ALL Samsung modules manufactured by Samsung have the Samsung logo ("Samsung" inside an oval shape) and the Samsung module number on a sticker stuck to the module. My Samsung 512MB PC2700 module just arrived (while I was typing this) and in addition to the sticker there is stamped on the green circuit board is the part number and the name “Samsung.” I refer to these as "TRUE" Samsung modules and every single one listed on Samsung’s website has a part number that begins with the letter “M.” For example, two of their PC2700 modules have M381L6423DTL-CB3 and M368L6423CTL-CB3 respectively. Do not be confused by 3rd party memory sometimes advertised online as “original Samsung” or even “true Samsung” who don’t provide you with a part number. I’ve called online retailers who elude to having original Samsung but when asked they stated what they are selling is memory that utilizes Samsung components on their modules. Some of them were even using the Samsung component number i.e K4H560838D-TCB3 as their memory part number. Very Sneaky. FYI, Samsung memory chip components begin with the letter “K”

QUESTION 1:
I sent an email to Samsung semiconductor asking “What is the difference between the “Customer Sample” vs “Mass production” modules?”

ANSWER 1:
"A Customer Sample is while product is in internal qualification. When a product finishes qual process, it goes into production for volume Mass production."

QUESTION 2: Follow-up:
"Do the Customer sample modules retain their model number once they finish qual process or is a new model number assigned to the module?”

ANSWER 2:
“No, we do not change the part number. The customer samples means the product goes to a limited number of key customers and they are not used in their production system either. Our customers use them for their validation.

If you see parts in the field, they are production parts. If you go by Samsung logo and Samsung part number, they are genuine Samsung module. If you want to make sure you get the latest product from Samsung, check our website and look at the part number. There will be different die level or device generation decoder in the product decoder although they are functionally the same parts and only a shrink version from the previous generation. In system they work just the same.”

In Summation,
The “Customer Sample” part number– as listed on Samsungsemi.com– does not change once a module reaches volume production. Therefore, if you purchase a Samsung module and look up the part number on Samsung noticing it says “Customer Sample” don’t worry. They are mass production modules which are functionally the same, and in my case will overclock just the same.

Reference site:
Samsung semiconductor http://www.samsungsemi.com/