Confusion about updating Nvidia chipset driver?

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I have a Gateway DX4720 and was checking out how up to date its drivers are. Using Device Manager I checked out Nvidia (ver. 8.17.125896) and did the automatic internet search, resulting in my driver was up to date. However, I noted on Gateway's site that there was a Nvidia chipset driver (package 15.45) available for download. I am confused, do I need to install it or not?

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I've got the Geforce 7100/nForce 630i and the automatic search on Nvidia's site came up with the following:
Driver version in computer is 258.96, whereas the newest driver (as of 3/12) is version 296.10.

I'm not a gamer and do a lot of net surfing and photo stuff, so I'm wondering if it is worth taking a chance with this latest driver...that is will I gain anything?

Hi :)

Will you gain anything...no not unless you count possibly totally screwing up your graphics AND windows....

All the best Brett :)

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

I have submitted this question to several forums. Interestingly, most answers said leave well enough alone, whereas as there were other replies saying that they installed these updates and all is well. Could someone explain what all the caution is about?

Hi :)

Basically its a RISK.... sometimes it will work ..MOST times...NOT..

If its working ok...leave well alone.... or not..its YOUR risk....

All the best Brett :)