How do I get a Mac format HD to recognise on PC & vice ver..

Last response: in Home Audio
August 3, 2004 5:26:57 AM

We've been using Cubase SX on PC to record most of a project (with a RADAR
front end for conversion) with great effect. We've been using other studios
with ProTools on MAC to record some things like Orchestras, Woodwinds and
Choirs on the project. We tried to use a NTFS formatted external hard drive
with USB and FireWire connections but it seems that the MAC can't read it
and I'm told the PC won't read the MAC. Is there any translators/bridge
software we can get to let the MAC read the PC files and transfer them then
to the MAC (& vice versa).

At the moment we're having to transfer everything on CDs and DVDs which is a
pain. Mixing is coming up and I have to get everything into Protools on a
MAC for the mix engineer.

Someone suggested formatting two partitions on the drive. 1 for PC and 1 for
MAC, but how would that solve it as you wouldn't be able to transfer files
from one format to the other.

Why can't we all get along!

Martin
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:26:58 AM

> We've been using Cubase SX on PC to record most of a project (with a RADAR
> front end for conversion) with great effect. We've been using other
studios
> with ProTools on MAC to record some things like Orchestras, Woodwinds and
> Choirs on the project. We tried to use a NTFS formatted external hard
drive
> with USB and FireWire connections but it seems that the MAC can't read it
> and I'm told the PC won't read the MAC. Is there any translators/bridge
> software we can get to let the MAC read the PC files and transfer them
then
> to the MAC (& vice versa).

Format the external drive HFS+ and use MacDrive to access it with the PC.
Record on the PC's NTFS drives, and just use the external drive as a mule.
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 5:26:58 AM

"Martin Quinn" <mquinn@eircom.net> wrote in message
> We've been using Cubase SX on PC to record most of a project (with a RADAR
> front end for conversion) with great effect. We've been using other
studios
> with ProTools on MAC to record some things like Orchestras, Woodwinds and
> Choirs on the project. We tried to use a NTFS formatted external hard
drive
> with USB and FireWire connections but it seems that the MAC can't read it
> and I'm told the PC won't read the MAC. Is there any translators/bridge
> software we can get to let the MAC read the PC files and transfer them
then
> to the MAC (& vice versa).

The mac won't like a windows formatted external drive, but it should be fine
reading NTFS partitiions across a network.

jb

> At the moment we're having to transfer everything on CDs and DVDs which is
> pain. Mixing is coming up and I have to get everything into Protools on a
> MAC for the mix engineer.
>
> Someone suggested formatting two partitions on the drive. 1 for PC and 1
for
> MAC, but how would that solve it as you wouldn't be able to transfer files
> from one format to the other.
>
> Why can't we all get along!
>
> Martin

August 3, 2004 5:52:46 AM

>We've been using Cubase SX on PC to record most of a project (with a RADAR
>front end for conversion) with great effect. We've been using other studios
>with ProTools on MAC to record some things like Orchestras, Woodwinds and
>Choirs on the project. We tried to use a NTFS formatted external hard drive
>with USB and FireWire connections but it seems that the MAC can't read it
>and I'm told the PC won't read the MAC. Is there any translators/bridge
>software we can get to let the MAC read the PC files and transfer them then
>to the MAC (& vice versa).
>
>At the moment we're having to transfer everything on CDs and DVDs which is a
>pain. Mixing is coming up and I have to get everything into Protools on a
>MAC for the mix engineer.
>
>Someone suggested formatting two partitions on the drive. 1 for PC and 1 for
>MAC, but how would that solve it as you wouldn't be able to transfer files
>from one format to the other.
>
>Why can't we all get along!
>
>Martin

I'm running a XP and a G4 9.2.1. I have a USB 2.0 setup on the XP and the
external HD is formatted FAT32. The G4 reads the files fine. I just plug the
USB connector into one of the keyboard slots and the HD comes up on the
desktop. The same HD also reads the G4 files into the PC.

If the CD and DVD transfers work, so should the HD and I suspect the CD and DVD
are FAT32 also.

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 3:55:24 PM

On Aug 2, 2004, Martin Quinn <mquinn@eircom.net> commented:

> We tried to use a NTFS formatted external hard drive
> with USB and FireWire connections but it seems that the MAC can't read it
> and I'm told the PC won't read the MAC.
>--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

The former is true, but not the latter. At the moment, neither Mac OS9 or
OSX can write to NTFS-formatted drives. You can read Apple's statement about
it here:

I'm told that the next version of Mac OSX (10.3.5) will have some fixes that
will make the OS work better with NTFS. They're very much aware of the
problem, and apparently it's also a problem with various flavors of Unix
(including some Linux systems).

As long as you use a FAT-32 drive, that will work with the Mac, no problem.

--MFW
[remove the extra M above for email]
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 9:35:50 PM

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 02:26:57 +0200, Martin Quinn wrote:

> Is there any translators/bridge software we can get to let the MAC read
> the PC files and transfer them then to the MAC (& vice versa).
>
> At the moment we're having to transfer everything on CDs and DVDs which
> is a pain. Mixing is coming up and I have to get everything into
> Protools on a MAC for the mix engineer.
>
> Someone suggested formatting two partitions on the drive. 1 for PC and 1
> for MAC, but how would that solve it as you wouldn't be able to transfer
> files from one format to the other.

Install a Linux system on some simple hardware with Netatalk and Samba.
Then you can access shared volumes from Mac's, Windows and Unix systems
without problems.

If you install a DVD writer and some CD/DVD writer software on this Linux
system too, you can generate data CD's and DVD's with Mac, Windows and
Unix extensions that can be read on all systems too. Great for archiving!

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com

Thanks guys for all the posts.

I guess I'll format my spare Ext HD FAT 32 and that solves that until Apple
fix the NTFS prob in the next OS

cheers again,

Martin

"Marc Wielage" <mfw@mmusictrax.com> wrote in message
> On Aug 2, 2004, Martin Quinn <mquinn@eircom.net> commented:
>
> > We tried to use a NTFS formatted external hard drive
> > with USB and FireWire connections but it seems that the MAC can't read
it
> > and I'm told the PC won't read the MAC.
> >--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<
>
> The former is true, but not the latter. At the moment, neither Mac OS9 or
> OSX can write to NTFS-formatted drives. You can read Apple's statement
about
> it here:

> I'm told that the next version of Mac OSX (10.3.5) will have some fixes
that
> will make the OS work better with NTFS. They're very much aware of the
> problem, and apparently it's also a problem with various flavors of Unix
> (including some Linux systems).
>
> As long as you use a FAT-32 drive, that will work with the Mac, no
problem.

> --MFW
> [remove the extra M above for email]

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:14:48 PM

"Martin Quinn" <mquinn@eircom.net> wrote in message

> Is there any translators/bridge software we can get to
> let the MAC read the PC files and transfer them then
> to the MAC (& vice versa).

The Mac will read a PC drive formatted as FAT32, but not NTFS.

The PC can be made to read/write to Mac drives with MacDrive:

You can get details here: http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive5/

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 5:31:15 PM

Martin Quinn wrote:
> Thanks guys for all the posts.
>
> I guess I'll format my spare Ext HD FAT 32 and that solves that until Apple
> fix the NTFS prob in the next OS

Well, if you've got OSX anyway, why don't you just network the PC to the
Mac? A straight cable should be all you need, because the Mac'll
reverse itself so you don't need a hub.
!