If I have a wireless adapter & gateway do I need a pci card also for my desk

Dia123

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I am trying to make my desktop wireless. I have the gateway and an adapter/antenna assembly, do I also need a pci card or any internal wireless card put in my pc?

Solution

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Without knowing what you mean by a gateway and an adapter/antenna assembly, I can only say that if they constitute a USB powered wireless dongle, that's all you need. A PCI card is not necessary if you have the right kind of USB wireless adapter. When those adapters are plugged in, the wireless icon should show up and you are offered networks to join. Put in the security key and you should be connected.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Without knowing what you mean by a gateway and an adapter/antenna assembly, I can only say that if they constitute a USB powered wireless dongle, that's all you need. A PCI card is not necessary if you have the right kind of USB wireless adapter. When those adapters are plugged in, the wireless icon should show up and you are offered networks to join. Put in the security key and you should be connected.

Solution

Dia123

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Thank you soo much! Yes, I think it's a dongle, but I don't have it yet. I just ordered it yesterday and will be here on the 10th. It's a 'Premiertek PowerLink Wireless 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Adapter' so that is a 'dongle', correct? I know soo little and am trying to learn. My laptop hooks up automatically so it must have a card inside it as I don't need a dongle for it. The gateway as the company calls it also has my phone hooked into it rather than just a router.