Need Wireless Adapter for Desktop

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Wireless Adapter
  • PCI Express
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 6, 2012 6:48:08 AM

I am building a desktop and would like to be able to connect it to my router without hard-wiring it through my house. The desktop would be set up in the basement and the router is on the second floor. On my laptop I have now I have some problems with the built in wireless adapter and sometimes I get bad lag spikes. I just need a good wireless adapter (USB, PCI, PCI-E, PCI-E 2.0, PCI-E 3.0) for heavy online gaming. If there is an easier (and/or cheaper) way to do this than wireless adapters I would welcome recommendations. Any help or suggestions on different products would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

More about : wireless adapter desktop

Best solution

July 6, 2012 10:23:40 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

An alternative is powerline adapters. You start with two - one plugged into an electric socket near the router and other near the computer. They are wired at each end but the bit in the middle is taken care of by the electric circuit so it's as good as an ethernet connection but without the long trailing wire up the side of the building.

There's no certainty a wireless adapter - however up-market - would give you as good a connection.

July 9, 2012 10:11:41 PM

Best answer selected by zfrank.
m
l