H/D Setup

Geordie32

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
Hello.

I'm new to this board, but have always heard that people are VERY helpful & you always get good advice - well I suppose this is my chance to fined out.

I have a couple of q's for all you clued up people out there:

Q1. I have a P.C running win 98 1st ed. with 2 H/D (both 20gb/ata100)also an ide cdr/w & dvd rom drive.

Currently, I have both h/d on the same ide (1) chnl & both cd drives on the 2nd.

I was told that it would be better to put 1 h/d on one (as master) & the other one on the second chnl - i.e:

ide 1 h/d (primary), dvd slave.
ide 2 h/d (primary), cdr/w slave.

The reason I was given was something to do with accessing 2 h/d on the same ide chnl possible causing a bottleneck when transferring files between the 2 & trying to write from the dvd to the cdr/w cause some mischeif when writing "on the fly".

Is this true?

Secondly, I want to format the master h/d & put on win98 se (maybe xp later - better the devil you know, etc).

I also, (after reading posts here) want to partition my primary h/d into 3 partions c: (about 5-10-gb - for o.s/s), d: (1gb - for swapfile) and e: (whatever is left) for applications/games, then use my second hard disk for storage only (mp3,s movies, etc).

The questionis : Is this feasible, or can anyone give me any better ideas & If I back files up to my second hard drive (presently d:), will I be able to access & restore this info once the other drive letters are assigned?

Anyones expertise will be greatly appreciated on this matter.

Regards,

Geordie32

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
On each IDE channel you can only read or write and you cannot read and write simultaneously.
This is the reason why CD-Rom and CD burner are suggested to be connected in two different IDE channel. If you want to make a copy "on-the-fly" you need to read from the CD-Rom and simultaneously write on the CD-burner. Someone uses to make CD copy by using "image-file" on the hard disk when the CD-Rom and the CD-burner are on the same channel. This allows you to let the hard disk to work at its highest rate because it is possible that a slow CD-rom/burner (working at DMA 3÷4 or PIO mode) may slow down the hard disk (but this should be verified by using a simple benchmark utility before and after connecting the CD-ROM). If nothing changes, it is better to link on the same channel one HDD and a CD-Rom device.
Second question.
If you put the hdd on a different channel, it is reasonable that you install the OS on a partition on the disk 0 and the Swap file and/or the application on an other partition on the hdd 1.

the last is in the past