100+ processes running

kprime18

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Hi,

I recently noticed that my laptop has about 100 processes running at a time. My laptop is pretty new and I don't use it much. I don't know if 100 processes is out of the ordinary since this is the first time I've checked it.

Could there be something malicious here? Would it be prudent to go through the list of 100 processes to make sure that everything is legitimate? If so, what website would be recommended to look up these processes? Or am I just being overly cautious :pt1cable:.

Thank you.

on a cold boot there should be somewhere arround 20-25 processes running on a clean system with win7. If this is not a cold boot then you may have any number of program processes running.
Try running malwarebytes (free), and microsoft security essentials (also free) and see if they find anything.

That number seems way way to low. The basic windows services are more then that. Unless you have for "hide other user processes" checked or are ignoring system processes

7970 FTW

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

All that needs to be running if you are a gamer is Steam, windows aero effects if you so choose, Explorer, and thats about it anything else is bloat and just takes up ram and cpu clock cycles that could have went to the game when it needs the resources.

kprime18

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions.

My laptop is a Dell XPS L702X. I will try to run malwarebytes and get a screenshot of the processes when I get the chance. Although I have looked through the list and compared them with the information from file.net and they appear to be legitimate.

But so it is not common to have so many processes running on a new laptop?

Thank you again.

7970 FTW

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

New PCs from the stores like Best Buy ect come with lots of junk pre installed on top of the vanilla OS the best thing to so is a clean install of the whole OS of a clean copy of Windows 7 64bit

You need a hell of a lot more for Windows to run correctly unless you do not want Networking audio anti-virus and a few other service's working.

monsta

Splendid
Just download and run CCleaner , go into tools and then start up , check all the start up programs you dont need running and disable them , this will kill off many of the useless processes running in the backround that is eating up all your ram.
You will notice a huge difference.

7970 FTW

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

Thats just what I leave running under the user name in the task manager.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
That amount of services running in the background is normal, i have about 190-250~ services running on my desktop with 16gb of ram so i don't really notice the difference at all. You have to equate in for all the services like windows services and then utilities and anti virus services.