No windows 8 key with new notebook

pcvsnotebook

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
Hi,

I have this problem , I bought this new Asus Notebook (the Vivo book), and with Windows 8...

The problem here is that I can not find the key anywhere .. I want to replace the Harddisk with SSD , and need to install a fresh Windows 8 pro , and I cant locate the Key anywhere (I am using my retail Windows 8 disk for that) ...

Asus didnt come with any recovery disks .. Just pre installed Windows 8 .. and has a hidden partition of 16G for the system Back up... and I cant use it at all , I have to remove it and install the SSD ... and it doesn't work from USB3 case as well ... the auto recover, so I had to use the Windows 8 DVD I have , and I just need the key . Looking at the System , there is a key but it is covered by ***** and I cant locate it ...

Is there a way to find the key ? I read somewhere , windows 8 stores it in the Bios .. but where and how ? I dont want to waste 16G on SSD as well the SSD is too small for that.

Solution
most laptop vendor stick the label on the bottom ram cover of the mb. it say windows certificate of authenticity and have a small 3d logo on it. it wont match up to the number in the laptop. those number are made when windows 7/8 logs onto the Microsoft servers and validates your oem code number. for the restore partion email asus or look online to see if they have in windows or in the bios or an f key set up where you go into that partion and can make a set of restore cd. if not it be easier for you to buy a restore cd from asus and run it.

oscar24

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
also, you can use a SSD data transfer tool (the Samsung magician suite works) or probably a back-up software to copy data into the SSD first (while the SSD is plugged in externally). This way you don't need to reinstall again (saves time and also no hassle with windows registration).

http://pcsupport.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=pcsupport&cdn=compute&tm=5&f=11&su=p284.13.342.ip_p504.6.342.ip_&tt=6&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.belarc.com/free_download.html

That may help, but it may not. As said above, it's embedded in the BIOS on newer machines and not needed for install. The problem is, the key might be tied to only work with that particular version of windows and not just any windows 8 cd you use. I work on PC's and people bring in a Dell or HP or whatever for reinstall because of viruses, and they don't have their disc anymore but their key is on the side. A lot of times, a standard OEM windows 7 won't work with the key, you need the specific dell/hp/whatever version of windows in order for that key to even work, then it works fine. PITA really, because you need many versions of win 7 around.

You won't be able to use your separate purchased copy to do this. If you get the key embedded in the BIOS and enter it into the System Builder copy you bought elsewhere, it won't activate. I have already attempted this on two other Asus notebooks. Both failed, and I had to put the original disks that shipped with the systems back into their respective shells.

The only potential way around it is to see if Asus has a program either built into the system image, or that you can download separately from their website to make a physical copy of the recovery partition. You would be able to burn this to a DVD, or possibly a sufficiently large flash drive, then swap the hard drive or SSD. When the swap is complete, insert the DVD or flash drive you made earlier and boot from it. Go through the recovery process (there should be a wizard present in the recovery program to make this as easy as possible) like you were recovering the system normally from an OS crash with the original drive in place.

Edit: You can actually do this from within Windows, without any extra software needed. Go to the Start screen and type Recovery. In the Recovery window, select Create a Recovery Drive. In the first step in the new window that appears, check the box that says "Copy the Recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive". Once the copy completes, you will have the option to delete the recovery partition to gain back additional free space. Just in case, I suggest that you leave this alone in case the copy of the recovery partition fails or the restore from the flash drive or DVD fails once you have installed the new SSD you are planning to buy.

Solution