Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wireless is faster than ethernet

Last response: in Networking
August 1, 2012 7:11:40 PM

Alright so my problem here is that my wireless connection is noticeably faster than my wired connection. I noticed this problem when using the internet and opening multiple newegg product pages which contain pictures on them, and again with pictures on facebook. The pictures loaded very slowly which I thought was odd. I again noticed problems when I was playing League of Legends, specifically when I was creating a custom game against all AI opponents. Every time I added an opponent it would say "Retrieving data from server" for a very long time. These problems disappeared when I began using my wireless connection.

I had never had this problem until I replaced my motherboard last week with this brand new motherboard. I decided to buy a PCI-E Ethernet adapter in hopes that this would fix the problem, but unfortunately it did not. So from here I tried several other tests.

Note: the proper speed of the internet for this household is roughly 20mbs download/ 1mbs upload.

I connected my computer straight into the modem. Still slow.
I second checked the modem and router through another desktop. It was running the internet at the speeds it should have.
I even went as far as trying another router for both computers. My computer still had slow internet while the other desktop was running at the right speeds.
I connected the Ethernet cable I use for this computer into my laptop to see if it was the problem. The internet on the laptop was running at the speed it should have been which rules out the Ethernet cable.

The curious thing I noticed about the speed test results is that the download speeds for the wired were where they should be and were significantly higher than the wireless test although it does not feel like it. The wireless speed test shows a noticeable over the wired connection.

Modem speed test
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2095600440.png

Router speed test
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2095606165.png

Wireless speed test
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2095613347.png

Through all of these tests I have concluded that it is a problem with the motherboard since my previous motherboard ran the internet perfectly, but I am no expert so this is why I have come here for help and input. I do find it intriguing that both the on board Ethernet connection and PCI-E Ethernet card feel slower than the PCI-E wireless card. I believe the problem resides with the fact that the upload speeds are for whatever reason slower when wired versus the wireless connection. Hopefully someone here will be able to point me in the right direction to correct this problem for I prefer the peace of mind of a wired connection over a wireless connection.

Computer Specs
MB: Asus Sabertooth Z77
RAM: 4x4gb Corsair Vengeance
Processor: Intel i5 2600k
GPU: 560ti
PSU: 850w AX Corsair
Windows 7 Home

Wireless Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 11n Wireless LAM PCI-E Card
Ethernet Adapter:Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Network Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express 1 x RJ45
Previous MB: Asus Sabertooth P67 with Windows 7 Home
Router: Not sure what the exact model is but it is a Netgear. If it is crucial information I will post what the model is.

More about : wireless faster ethernet

Best solution

a b F Wireless
August 2, 2012 2:22:55 AM

Regarding the following:

"The curious thing I noticed about the speed test results is that the download speeds for the wired were where they should be and were significantly higher than the wireless test although it does not feel like it."

That tells me it's NOT a hardware problem. And I don't know how to evaluate something that "feels" slower. All we can really do is go by the actual results, which are apparently normal according to SpeedTest. At least in deciding if it is or isn't a hardware problem.

It sounds to me like there’s some software configuration issue, but without the ability to examine the PC, it’s almost impossible to pursue that any further. Perhaps you can be more specific in what’s installed, including anti-malware, and what applications are worse than others, if that’s the case.
August 2, 2012 3:31:19 AM

Best answer selected by FLL3118.
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:31:33 AM

eibgrad said:
Regarding the following:

"The curious thing I noticed about the speed test results is that the download speeds for the wired were where they should be and were significantly higher than the wireless test although it does not feel like it."

That tells me it's NOT a hardware problem. And I don't know how to evaluate something that "feels" slower. All we can really do is go by the actual results, which are apparently normal according to SpeedTest. At least in deciding if it is or isn't a hardware problem.

It sounds to me like there’s some software configuration issue, but without the ability to examine the PC, it’s almost impossible to pursue that any further. Perhaps you can be more specific in what’s installed, including anti-malware, and what applications are worse than others, if that’s the case.

I took what you said about it being a software configuration issue into consideration and uninstalled the Intel Lan driver through the motherboard disc then reinstalled it. Worked like a charm. Thank you.
m
l
!