Which CD Recorder?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 3, 2004 6:57:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

Hi! This is my first post to these groups. I would like to transfer
a small percentage of my large analog collection to CD. So I'm
looking for a cd recorder (or possibly other means) of accomplishing
this with good sound. I do not consider myself an audiophile but I do
like faithful reproductions. Ideally, the unit would have inputs for
2 analog devices and produce CDs that may be played on regular old
car/stereo/boombox CD palyers. My present system consists of Conrad
Johnson PV-10A tube pre-amp, CJ 80W power amp, Linn turntable, and
Rotel CD player with Theil 2.2 speakers. Obviously, I prefer a warmer
analog type sound. Thanks very much. I look forward to your comments!

More about : recorder

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 1:08:20 AM

In article <b29ec4bb.0408031357.47be3dac@posting.google.com> frederick-j-woodson@uiowa.edu writes:

> I'm
> looking for a cd recorder (or possibly other means) of accomplishing
> this with good sound.

The standard answer is to use your computer with a sound card and a
basic audio recording program. Record into the computer, then massage
the audio file to reduce noise from the original source, insert index
marks between songs, and "burn" the CD. Labor intensive and time
consuming, but costs practically nothing.

Stand-alone Cd recorders are still around. HHB seems to still get good
reviews. TASCAM comes out with a new model every fifteen mintues or
so. These will make simple work out of the job, but with no
enhancements, and sometimes the track index points don't come out
where they should (or get skipped if there's enough surface noise).
Since they record to CD in real time, many CD blanks designed for high
speed writing don't work with these real time recorders.

August 4, 2004 5:47:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

> Hi! This is my first post to these groups. I would like to transfer
> a small percentage of my large analog collection to CD.

Take a wild guess how many people are doing the same thing. Then guess how
many sites there are that cover the subject ad nauseam.

Google is your daddy.
August 4, 2004 10:31:19 AM

"Jay Woodson" <frederick-j-woodson@uiowa.edu> wrote in message

> Hi! This is my first post to these groups. I would like to transfer
> a small percentage of my large analog collection to CD. So I'm
> looking for a cd recorder (or possibly other means) of accomplishing
> this with good sound.

The tool of choice is a properly-equipped PC. It might be a PC that you
already have.

People have been going this route for years and years. There are a goodly
number of web sites that reveal the *secrets*. Here are two of the
better-known ones.

http://www.a-reny.com/iexplorer/restauration.html

http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm

>I do not consider myself an audiophile but I do
> like faithful reproductions.

As rule, dedicated CD recorders are the mid-fi approach. Higher performance
and greater sophistication are possible using a properly-set-up PC

> Ideally, the unit would have inputs for
> 2 analog devices and produce CDs that may be played on regular old
> car/stereo/boombox CD palyers. My present system consists of Conrad
> Johnson PV-10A tube pre-amp, CJ 80W power amp, Linn turntable, and
> Rotel CD player with Theil 2.2 speakers. Obviously, I prefer a warmer
> analog type sound. Thanks very much. I look forward to your comments!

I find that the main outputs of a good preamp is the ideal thing to hook up
to the inputs of a PC sound card.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 4:36:43 PM

In article <FH_Pc.58$0c.37@read1.cgocable.net> nobody@home.com writes:

> > Hi! This is my first post to these groups. I would like to transfer
> > a small percentage of my large analog collection to CD.
>
> Take a wild guess how many people are doing the same thing. Then guess how
> many sites there are that cover the subject ad nauseam.

I doubt that there are a great number of web sites that actually tell
someone how to do it though there are thousands of web sites that flog
CD-R drives and various software programs which someone who knows what
they do can get some information about their differences.

It seems that copying recordings to CD is one of those things that
everyone is supposed to be born with the knowledge to do, just like
make a call on a cell phone, playing a video game, or connecting to a
web site.

August 4, 2004 6:38:46 PM

"Sugarite" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> > Hi! This is my first post to these groups. I would like to transfer
> > a small percentage of my large analog collection to CD.
>
> Take a wild guess how many people are doing the same thing. Then guess
how
> many sites there are that cover the subject ad nauseam.
>
> Google is your daddy.

The above is a really bad post.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 6:39:06 PM

> "Jay Woodson" <frederick-j-woodson@uiowa.edu> wrote in message
>
> > Hi! This is my first post to these groups. I would like to transfer
> > a small percentage of my large analog collection to CD. So I'm
> > looking for a cd recorder (or possibly other means) of accomplishing
> > this with good sound.
>
> The tool of choice is a properly-equipped PC. It might be a PC that you
> already have.
>
> People have been going this route for years and years. There are a goodly
> number of web sites that reveal the *secrets*. Here are two of the
> better-known ones.
>
> http://www.a-reny.com/iexplorer/restauration.html
>
> http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm
>
> >I do not consider myself an audiophile but I do
> > like faithful reproductions.
>
> As rule, dedicated CD recorders are the mid-fi approach. Higher
performance
> and greater sophistication are possible using a properly-set-up PC
>
> > Ideally, the unit would have inputs for
> > 2 analog devices and produce CDs that may be played on regular old
> > car/stereo/boombox CD palyers. My present system consists of Conrad
> > Johnson PV-10A tube pre-amp, CJ 80W power amp, Linn turntable, and
> > Rotel CD player with Theil 2.2 speakers. Obviously, I prefer a warmer
> > analog type sound. Thanks very much. I look forward to your comments!
>
> I find that the main outputs of a good preamp is the ideal thing to hook
up
> to the inputs of a PC sound card.

The above is a really good post. Arny, you're at your best.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 6:43:06 PM

"Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "Sugarite" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi! This is my first post to these groups. I would like to transfer
> > > a small percentage of my large analog collection to CD.
> >
> > Take a wild guess how many people are doing the same thing. Then guess
> how
> > many sites there are that cover the subject ad nauseam.
> >
> > Google is your daddy.
> >
> The above is a really bad post.

The above is an even worse post.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 10:20:30 PM

> > "Jay Woodson" <frederick-j-woodson@uiowa.edu> wrote in message
> >
> > > Hi! This is my first post to these groups. I would like to transfer
> > > a small percentage of my large analog collection to CD. So I'm
> > > looking for a cd recorder (or possibly other means) of accomplishing
> > > this with good sound.
> >
> > The tool of choice is a properly-equipped PC. It might be a PC that you
> > already have.
> >
> > People have been going this route for years and years. There are a
goodly
> > number of web sites that reveal the *secrets*. Here are two of the
> > better-known ones.
> >
> > http://www.a-reny.com/iexplorer/restauration.html
> >
> > http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm
> >
> > >I do not consider myself an audiophile but I do
> > > like faithful reproductions.
> >
> > As rule, dedicated CD recorders are the mid-fi approach. Higher
> performance
> > and greater sophistication are possible using a properly-set-up PC
> >
> > > Ideally, the unit would have inputs for
> > > 2 analog devices and produce CDs that may be played on regular old
> > > car/stereo/boombox CD palyers. My present system consists of Conrad
> > > Johnson PV-10A tube pre-amp, CJ 80W power amp, Linn turntable, and
> > > Rotel CD player with Theil 2.2 speakers. Obviously, I prefer a warmer
> > > analog type sound. Thanks very much. I look forward to your comments!
> >
> > I find that the main outputs of a good preamp is the ideal thing to hook
> up
> > to the inputs of a PC sound card.
> >
> The above is a really good post. Arny, you're at your best.

When it comes to sound cards, he da man!!!
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 10:21:46 PM

"Sugarite" <not for you> wrote in message

> "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Sugarite" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Take a wild guess how many people are doing the same thing. Then
guess
> > how
> > > many sites there are that cover the subject ad nauseam.
> > >
> > > Google is your daddy.
> > >
> > The above is a really bad post.
> >
> The above is an even worse post.

The post postceding this post will be the worst post of all.
Who wants to make it?
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 10:21:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

In article <4111614b_5@127.0.0.1>,
"Bad Penny" <YustabeSlim@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Sugarite" <not for you> wrote in message
> >
> > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Sugarite" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> transfer

> guess
> > > how

> > > The above is a really bad post.
> > >
> > The above is an even worse post.
> >

> The post postceding this post will be the worst post of all.
> Who wants to make it?

I resent the accuracy of your prescience.
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 11:04:15 PM

"Robert Morein" <PhD_failure@nousefulinfo.com> wrote in message
news:p hD_failure-D1E0EC.15282204082004@news.isp.giganews.com...
> In article <4111614b_5@127.0.0.1>,
> "Bad Penny" <YustabeSlim@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > "Sugarite" <not for you> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> > transfer

> > guess

> > > The above is an even worse post.
> > >

> > The post postceding this post will be the worst post of all.
> > Who wants to make it?
> >

> I resent the accuracy of your prescience.

Forgery!
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:42:15 AM

Robert Morein said:

> > The tool of choice is a properly-[sic]equipped PC. It might be a PC that you
> > already have.
[snip]
> > I find that the main outputs of a good preamp is the ideal thing to hook up
> > to the inputs of a PC sound card.

> The above is a really good post. Arny, you're at your best.

Are you drunk?
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 12:43:03 AM

"Sugarite" <not for you> said:

> > > Take a wild guess how many people are doing the same thing. Then guess how
> > > many sites there are that cover the subject ad nauseam.

> > > Google is your daddy.

> > The above is a really bad post.

> The above is an even worse post.

I think Bobo is in some kind of funk, either natural or artificially
induced.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:22:10 AM

"George M. Middius" <Spam-B-Gone@resistance.org> wrote in message

> Robert Morein said:
>
> > > The tool of choice is a properly-[sic]equipped PC. It might be a PC
that you
> > > already have.
> [snip]
> > > I find that the main outputs of a good preamp is the ideal thing to
hook up
> > > to the inputs of a PC sound card.
>
> > The above is a really good post. Arny, you're at your best.
>
> Are you drunk?

I knew you would ask. Actually, it's very polite of you to suggest that's
all it is. I am merely in the grips of a temporary personality disorder
called "goodness."
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:31:19 AM

Robert Morein said:

> > Are you drunk?
> >
> I knew you would ask. Actually, it's very polite of you to suggest that's
> all it is. I am merely in the grips of a temporary personality disorder
> called "goodness."

I'd call it "mawkishness verging on dementia".
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 4:38:40 PM

> Robert Morein said:
>
> > > Are you drunk?
> > >
> > I knew you would ask. Actually, it's very polite of you to suggest
that's
> > all it is. I am merely in the grips of a temporary personality disorder
> > called "goodness."
>
> I'd call it "mawkishness verging on dementia".

Whoa! Let Richman give the official diagnosis.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 6:49:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

On 3 Aug 2004 14:57:36 -0700, frederick-j-woodson@uiowa.edu (Jay
Woodson) wrote:

>Hi! This is my first post to these groups. I would like to transfer
>a small percentage of my large analog collection to CD. So I'm
>looking for a cd recorder (or possibly other means) of accomplishing
>this with good sound. I do not consider myself an audiophile but I do
>like faithful reproductions. Ideally, the unit would have inputs for
>2 analog devices and produce CDs that may be played on regular old
>car/stereo/boombox CD palyers. My present system consists of Conrad
>Johnson PV-10A tube pre-amp, CJ 80W power amp, Linn turntable, and
>Rotel CD player with Theil 2.2 speakers. Obviously, I prefer a warmer
>analog type sound. Thanks very much. I look forward to your comments!

If you feel all this gear gives the sound you like - fine. Feed
Line Out from your amplifier to Line In of a decent computer sound
card. The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 is currently selling for a silly
price. Install a CD burner in your computer.

Capture using any suitable program. If your Cd burner comes with
Nero, it includes a competent wave editor and recorder. Or download
Audacity for free.

Burn to CD using the program that came with your CD burner.

The only place you can mess up the procedure is in getting the right
level signal into the soundcard. If your amp has no level control
affecting Line Out, buy a small mixer. Any slight quality loss due
to the additional electronics in the signal path will be more than
compensated by the improvement from correct levels.

Amazingly, Hi-Fi gear rarely includes provision for proper level
matching, or metering to check it. I suspect that a lot of
audiophiles who complain a CD player sounds harsh are merely listening
to an overloaded input.

August 6, 2004 1:20:32 AM

Robert Morein said:

> > > I knew you would ask. Actually, it's very polite of you to suggest that's
> > > all it is. I am merely in the grips of a temporary personality disorder
> > > called "goodness."
> >
> > I'd call it "mawkishness verging on dementia".
> >
> Whoa! Let Richman give the official diagnosis.

Who's stopping him? Not I.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 9:17:43 AM

"Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> The only place you can mess up the procedure is in getting the right
> level signal into the soundcard. If your amp has no level control
> affecting Line Out, buy a small mixer. Any slight quality loss due
> to the additional electronics in the signal path will be more than
> compensated by the improvement from correct levels.

Not really necessary, as long as the level doesn't overload the soundcard.
If it does, just build a fixed attenuator. You can then boost or cut the
level in the editing program as needed. With a 24-bit recording system,
recording at too low a level isn't really an issue.

> Amazingly, Hi-Fi gear rarely includes provision for proper level
> matching, or metering to check it. I suspect that a lot of
> audiophiles who complain a CD player sounds harsh are merely listening
> to an overloaded input.

I doubt that, if only because most hi-fi preamps have no electronics on the
line inputs; for the most part, they run straight from the jack through the
selector switch into the level control and thence to the output electronics.
There are a few exceptions, but since the typical CD player puts out 2Vrms
at 0dBFS, overload's not likely to be an issue anyway with any reasonable
rail voltage.

Peace,
Paul
!