ATI TV WONDER USB EDITION

fatfro

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
I was looking in getting an ATI Tv Wonder Usb Edition. Does any one know if this will run properly on Windows Xp? If anyone has used this product I would just like to know its ups and downs? Thank You

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
It's no good. due to the limited USB bandwidth, the card is incapable of capturing in DVD quality mpeg2 format. This is a limitation of all USB capture cards.

As for the PCI TV-Wonder, it's drivers do not work well with Win XP.

I've heard that Leadtek makes a pretty good PCI capture card. Of course, it is more expensive.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He's right, no USB solution actually works like it's supposed to, because USB is only 1.5MB/s. Hauppauage makes some nice PCI cards.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
No usb tuners work on xp as of now.
Stay away from them anyway due to the bandwidth issues the others already said.

I use the Hauppauge win-tv go, its only mono but cheap and works every time all the time unlike my old ati tv wonder (stereo) where the drivers and software were horrible and the newer ones you had to hunt down and hack on to get to even work and then they still required mumbo jumbo like clicking on start the tv tuner and really quickly before it starts clicking anywhere else on the screen..
Yes thats no bull****. Even if you use a ati vid card with a ati tv tuner, same issues.

Stay away from ati period. but esp their tuners. Hauppauge or Leadtek actually has the best one on the market with spectacular reviews, its a bit more expensive but has a remote, is stereo, has fm tuning, and more vcr-like features.

One last word of advice dont use a tv tuner on a VIA based motherboard, it will work but I dont suggest using many if any pci cards in via based boards (I use one and I have pci issues).
Your safe with a SIS based board, nforce or AMD.

P4 is like a mustang, real slow but with a rocket on it its fast, but you still wouldn't want one!

jphillips

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2002
New USB 2.0 tuners (typically) have an onboard hardware MPEG-2 encoder. The USB 2.0 connection (480 Mbps?) is more than enough to deliver high quality MPEG-2.