s56 - bluetooth help

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

Ok, so maybe I'm an idiot.

I bought the s56 through cingular.... bought the USB/Bluetooth adapter...
downloaded the software (siemens Data Suite)

My computer sees the phone, but tells me it doesn't support file transfer.

I also notice that the s56 isn't even listed as a choice for a phone.

All I want to be able to do is transfer a few ringtones & graphics. Can
anyone help?
11 answers Last reply
More about bluetooth help
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

    "juice" wrote:

    > I bought the s56 through cingular.... bought the USB/Bluetooth
    > adapter... downloaded the software (siemens Data Suite)
    >
    > My computer sees the phone, but tells me it doesn't support
    > file transfer.
    >
    > I also notice that the s56 isn't even listed as a choice for a
    > phone.

    My Soft Data Suite says (under "Help"/"System requirements"):

    Supported phones: Siemens mobile phones:
    S55, S56 and other compatible phones

    > All I want to be able to do is transfer a few ringtones &
    > graphics. Can anyone help?

    How are you trying to copy them? My S55 comes up in Windows
    Explorer as just another drive, and I just click & drag files to
    or from the phone.

    John
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

    "John Henderson" <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> wrote in message
    > "juice" wrote:
    >
    > > I bought the s56 through cingular.... bought the USB/Bluetooth
    > > adapter... downloaded the software (siemens Data Suite)
    > >
    > > My computer sees the phone, but tells me it doesn't support
    > > file transfer.
    > >
    > > I also notice that the s56 isn't even listed as a choice for a
    > > phone.
    >
    > My Soft Data Suite says (under "Help"/"System requirements"):
    >
    > Supported phones: Siemens mobile phones:
    > S55, S56 and other compatible phones
    >
    > > All I want to be able to do is transfer a few ringtones &
    > > graphics. Can anyone help?
    >
    > How are you trying to copy them? My S55 comes up in Windows
    > Explorer as just another drive, and I just click & drag files to
    > or from the phone.
    >
    > John

    Thanks for the reply.

    I see the 'Mobile' icon in explorer, but when I click on it I get the
    message "there is no connection, please reconnect the device" even though my
    phone shows a connection through bluetooth.

    Any help would be great. I'm getting frustrated.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

    "juice" wrote:

    > I see the 'Mobile' icon in explorer, but when I click on it I
    > get the message "there is no connection, please reconnect the
    > device" even though my phone shows a connection through
    > bluetooth.
    >
    > Any help would be great. I'm getting frustrated.

    Unfortunately, this is going to be a process of elimination.

    In the Data Suite software, under "Settings", is the box "Use
    alternative method of connection" ticked?

    John
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

    > "juice" wrote:
    >
    > > I see the 'Mobile' icon in explorer, but when I click on it I
    > > get the message "there is no connection, please reconnect the
    > > device" even though my phone shows a connection through
    > > bluetooth.
    > >
    > > Any help would be great. I'm getting frustrated.
    >
    > Unfortunately, this is going to be a process of elimination.
    >
    > In the Data Suite software, under "Settings", is the box "Use
    > alternative method of connection" ticked?

    yes
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

    "juice" wrote:

    > "John Henderson" wrote:

    >> In the Data Suite software, under "Settings", is the box "Use
    >> alternative method of connection" ticked?
    >
    > yes

    Bluetooth itself is a real can of worms. Did you pair the phone
    with the PC successfully (negotiate and verify a password)?

    When you start the Siemens Data Suite software, it should say
    (at the top of the screen) "No telephone connected". This
    should soon change to "Siemens S56" (mine says "Siemens S55",
    and even says "Siemens S25" when I connect my old S25 using a
    data cable instead of Bluetooth).

    John
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

    > "juice" wrote:
    >
    > > "John Henderson" wrote:
    >
    > >> In the Data Suite software, under "Settings", is the box "Use
    > >> alternative method of connection" ticked?
    > >
    > > yes
    >
    > Bluetooth itself is a real can of worms. Did you pair the phone
    > with the PC successfully (negotiate and verify a password)?
    >
    > When you start the Siemens Data Suite software, it should say
    > (at the top of the screen) "No telephone connected". This
    > should soon change to "Siemens S56" (mine says "Siemens S55",
    > and even says "Siemens S25" when I connect my old S25 using a
    > data cable instead of Bluetooth).
    >
    > John

    Yes, it does that. I am able to read my SIM within the Data Suite, but not
    the addressbook or anything else.

    I've also noticed that my bluetooth connection doesn't stay active.

    It will automatically connect with Data Suite when I open it, I can also
    connect via the bluetooth serial connection... but it doesn't stay active
    very long.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

    "juice" wrote:

    > Yes, it does that. I am able to read my SIM within the Data
    > Suite, but not the addressbook or anything else.
    >
    > I've also noticed that my bluetooth connection doesn't stay
    > active.
    >
    > It will automatically connect with Data Suite when I open it, I
    > can also connect via the bluetooth serial connection... but it
    > doesn't stay active very long.

    It looks like you're seeing a Bluetooth problem /per se/. I'm
    no expert in Bluetooth, and now use a data cable with my S55
    after having problems trying to upgrade my Bluetooth drivers.

    You might be better off inquiring on the alt.cellular.bluetooth
    group, giving details of your Bluetooth device and drivers, and
    mentioning that the connection does not remain active.

    John
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

    > "juice" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, it does that. I am able to read my SIM within the Data
    > > Suite, but not the addressbook or anything else.
    > >
    > > I've also noticed that my bluetooth connection doesn't stay
    > > active.
    > >
    > > It will automatically connect with Data Suite when I open it, I
    > > can also connect via the bluetooth serial connection... but it
    > > doesn't stay active very long.
    >
    > It looks like you're seeing a Bluetooth problem /per se/. I'm
    > no expert in Bluetooth, and now use a data cable with my S55
    > after having problems trying to upgrade my Bluetooth drivers.
    >
    > You might be better off inquiring on the alt.cellular.bluetooth
    > group, giving details of your Bluetooth device and drivers, and
    > mentioning that the connection does not remain active.
    >
    > John

    Thanks for all the help, anyway. I'll try there.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

    I just got off the phone with Siemens support.

    I was told that I need to close my virus software, turn off my
    router/firewall, uninstall and re-install the Data Suite.

    I was then told that "since the phone and computer paired up, there was
    nothing further they could assist me with. That's as far as they go."

    nice
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

    juice wrote:

    > It will automatically connect with Data Suite when I open it, I can also
    > connect via the bluetooth serial connection... but it doesn't stay active
    > very long.

    That's normal. Bluetooth connection is only activated during actual transfer
    of data or commands, not all the time.
    After a pairing and connection, the S56 will ask you if you want to add the
    remote bluetooth dongle to the list of known devices. Say yes, there or
    you'll have to do the pairing for every connection.

    HS
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

    "Hendrik Sattler" <sattler2000@gmx.de> wrote in message
    > juice wrote:
    >
    > > It will automatically connect with Data Suite when I open it, I can also
    > > connect via the bluetooth serial connection... but it doesn't stay
    active
    > > very long.
    >
    > That's normal. Bluetooth connection is only activated during actual
    transfer
    > of data or commands, not all the time.
    > After a pairing and connection, the S56 will ask you if you want to add
    the
    > remote bluetooth dongle to the list of known devices. Say yes, there or
    > you'll have to do the pairing for every connection.
    >
    > HS

    I've done that. I can read some of the phone information from within the
    Data Suite. I've been able to see Missed Calls, Dialed Calls, etc. and
    also read the Sim, which I only have 2 entries. I cannot, however, read the
    addressbook. It says there is an error about half way through. I can't see
    the ringtones in the editor, after hitting Read In (or Out), but I can
    change the ring volume.

    I continue to get the error when clicking on the Mobile icon within
    explorer, "there is no connection"

Siemens Bluetooth