s56 - bluetooth help

Last response: in Brands
Share
May 31, 2004 3:01:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

Ok, so maybe I'm an idiot.

I bought the s56 through cingular.... bought the USB/Bluetooth adapter...
downloaded the software (siemens Data Suite)

My computer sees the phone, but tells me it doesn't support file transfer.

I also notice that the s56 isn't even listed as a choice for a phone.

All I want to be able to do is transfer a few ringtones & graphics. Can
anyone help?

More about : s56 bluetooth

Anonymous
May 31, 2004 8:18:06 PM

"juice" wrote:

> I bought the s56 through cingular.... bought the USB/Bluetooth
> adapter... downloaded the software (siemens Data Suite)
>
> My computer sees the phone, but tells me it doesn't support
> file transfer.
>
> I also notice that the s56 isn't even listed as a choice for a
> phone.

My Soft Data Suite says (under "Help"/"System requirements"):

Supported phones: Siemens mobile phones:
S55, S56 and other compatible phones

> All I want to be able to do is transfer a few ringtones &
> graphics. Can anyone help?

How are you trying to copy them? My S55 comes up in Windows
Explorer as just another drive, and I just click & drag files to
or from the phone.

John
May 31, 2004 8:18:07 PM

"John Henderson" <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> wrote in message
> "juice" wrote:
>
> > I bought the s56 through cingular.... bought the USB/Bluetooth
> > adapter... downloaded the software (siemens Data Suite)
> >
> > My computer sees the phone, but tells me it doesn't support
> > file transfer.
> >
> > I also notice that the s56 isn't even listed as a choice for a
> > phone.
>
> My Soft Data Suite says (under "Help"/"System requirements"):
>
> Supported phones: Siemens mobile phones:
> S55, S56 and other compatible phones
>
> > All I want to be able to do is transfer a few ringtones &
> > graphics. Can anyone help?
>
> How are you trying to copy them? My S55 comes up in Windows
> Explorer as just another drive, and I just click & drag files to
> or from the phone.
>
> John

Thanks for the reply.

I see the 'Mobile' icon in explorer, but when I click on it I get the
message "there is no connection, please reconnect the device" even though my
phone shows a connection through bluetooth.

Any help would be great. I'm getting frustrated.
June 1, 2004 11:14:47 AM

"juice" wrote:

> I see the 'Mobile' icon in explorer, but when I click on it I
> get the message "there is no connection, please reconnect the
> device" even though my phone shows a connection through
> bluetooth.
>
> Any help would be great. I'm getting frustrated.

Unfortunately, this is going to be a process of elimination.

In the Data Suite software, under "Settings", is the box "Use
alternative method of connection" ticked?

John
June 1, 2004 11:14:48 AM

> "juice" wrote:
>
> > I see the 'Mobile' icon in explorer, but when I click on it I
> > get the message "there is no connection, please reconnect the
> > device" even though my phone shows a connection through
> > bluetooth.
> >
> > Any help would be great. I'm getting frustrated.
>
> Unfortunately, this is going to be a process of elimination.
>
> In the Data Suite software, under "Settings", is the box "Use
> alternative method of connection" ticked?

yes
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 11:54:07 AM

"juice" wrote:

> "John Henderson" wrote:

>> In the Data Suite software, under "Settings", is the box "Use
>> alternative method of connection" ticked?
>
> yes

Bluetooth itself is a real can of worms. Did you pair the phone
with the PC successfully (negotiate and verify a password)?

When you start the Siemens Data Suite software, it should say
(at the top of the screen) "No telephone connected". This
should soon change to "Siemens S56" (mine says "Siemens S55",
and even says "Siemens S25" when I connect my old S25 using a
data cable instead of Bluetooth).

John
June 1, 2004 11:54:08 AM

> "juice" wrote:
>
> > "John Henderson" wrote:
>
> >> In the Data Suite software, under "Settings", is the box "Use
> >> alternative method of connection" ticked?
> >
> > yes
>
> Bluetooth itself is a real can of worms. Did you pair the phone
> with the PC successfully (negotiate and verify a password)?
>
> When you start the Siemens Data Suite software, it should say
> (at the top of the screen) "No telephone connected". This
> should soon change to "Siemens S56" (mine says "Siemens S55",
> and even says "Siemens S25" when I connect my old S25 using a
> data cable instead of Bluetooth).
>
> John

Yes, it does that. I am able to read my SIM within the Data Suite, but not
the addressbook or anything else.

I've also noticed that my bluetooth connection doesn't stay active.

It will automatically connect with Data Suite when I open it, I can also
connect via the bluetooth serial connection... but it doesn't stay active
very long.
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 12:22:42 PM

"juice" wrote:

> Yes, it does that. I am able to read my SIM within the Data
> Suite, but not the addressbook or anything else.
>
> I've also noticed that my bluetooth connection doesn't stay
> active.
>
> It will automatically connect with Data Suite when I open it, I
> can also connect via the bluetooth serial connection... but it
> doesn't stay active very long.

It looks like you're seeing a Bluetooth problem /per se/. I'm
no expert in Bluetooth, and now use a data cable with my S55
after having problems trying to upgrade my Bluetooth drivers.

You might be better off inquiring on the alt.cellular.bluetooth
group, giving details of your Bluetooth device and drivers, and
mentioning that the connection does not remain active.

John
June 1, 2004 12:22:43 PM

> "juice" wrote:
>
> > Yes, it does that. I am able to read my SIM within the Data
> > Suite, but not the addressbook or anything else.
> >
> > I've also noticed that my bluetooth connection doesn't stay
> > active.
> >
> > It will automatically connect with Data Suite when I open it, I
> > can also connect via the bluetooth serial connection... but it
> > doesn't stay active very long.
>
> It looks like you're seeing a Bluetooth problem /per se/. I'm
> no expert in Bluetooth, and now use a data cable with my S55
> after having problems trying to upgrade my Bluetooth drivers.
>
> You might be better off inquiring on the alt.cellular.bluetooth
> group, giving details of your Bluetooth device and drivers, and
> mentioning that the connection does not remain active.
>
> John

Thanks for all the help, anyway. I'll try there.
June 1, 2004 2:20:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.siemens (More info?)

I just got off the phone with Siemens support.

I was told that I need to close my virus software, turn off my
router/firewall, uninstall and re-install the Data Suite.

I was then told that "since the phone and computer paired up, there was
nothing further they could assist me with. That's as far as they go."

nice
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 6:48:04 PM

juice wrote:

> It will automatically connect with Data Suite when I open it, I can also
> connect via the bluetooth serial connection... but it doesn't stay active
> very long.

That's normal. Bluetooth connection is only activated during actual transfer
of data or commands, not all the time.
After a pairing and connection, the S56 will ask you if you want to add the
remote bluetooth dongle to the list of known devices. Say yes, there or
you'll have to do the pairing for every connection.

HS
June 1, 2004 6:48:05 PM

"Hendrik Sattler" <sattler2000@gmx.de> wrote in message
> juice wrote:
>
> > It will automatically connect with Data Suite when I open it, I can also
> > connect via the bluetooth serial connection... but it doesn't stay
active
> > very long.
>
> That's normal. Bluetooth connection is only activated during actual
transfer
> of data or commands, not all the time.
> After a pairing and connection, the S56 will ask you if you want to add
the
> remote bluetooth dongle to the list of known devices. Say yes, there or
> you'll have to do the pairing for every connection.
>
> HS

I've done that. I can read some of the phone information from within the
Data Suite. I've been able to see Missed Calls, Dialed Calls, etc. and
also read the Sim, which I only have 2 entries. I cannot, however, read the
addressbook. It says there is an error about half way through. I can't see
the ringtones in the editor, after hitting Read In (or Out), but I can
change the ring volume.

I continue to get the error when clicking on the Mobile icon within
explorer, "there is no connection"
!