daz_melb

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
Hi, I am thinking of buying a Liton 48x40x12 Writer. Does anyone know if this can get through the copyrights stated in the THG review. If not is there firmware to get through the copyrights? I got a 40x scsi cd reader will I be able to copy CD to CD at 40x?

thanx for ur help!

regards

daz

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
yes used properly with clonecd it should be able to backup current copy protected cd's it supports efm bit encoding and if you do a search through this forum there are posts that explain how to enable "amplify weak sectors" in clone cd 3.4.x.x.and higher

<font color=blue><b> May the good lord bless ya' and blow you up <i>real</i> good </font color=blue></b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If I understand correctly, yes you can. I assume you want to "backup" copy protected games. The Lite-ons have been one of the best drives for this. However, there has been a new wrinkle with CloneCD 4.0.1.6 (and other late versions of CloneCD) and Lite-ons. Seems the problem only affects some drives but for those that are affected (including new drives) the workaround is reading from a CDROM drive and writing with the Liteon as opposed to doing everything on the Lite-on.

You can read about the problem at the <A HREF="http://club.cdfreaks.com/" target="_new">CloneCD Experienced Users Forum</A> at <A HREF="http://www.cdfreaks.com/" target="_new">CDFreaks.com</A>. The author of CloneCD, nickname "Olli", hangs out there. He's still working the problem.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
So is it the software that is having a problem or the Lite-On writer or both? I'm in the process of purchasing a CDRW also and I've read the review for Lite-On, it outperformed Plextor. I'm thinking of getting a Lite-On, your suggestion please :).

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
From what I understand, it is only a temporary problem between the current versions of CloneCD and some Lite-on drives. It only affects SOME drives and NOT specific models. The CloneCD team is unable to reproduce the problem (which probably means they don't have one of the "bad" drives). Some posters claim that other cloning software, like Blindwrite, is not having a problem and earlier versions of CloneCD also seemed to perform better than newer version. However, still other posters claim problems no matter which version of CloneCD they use.

I think only backups of SecuRom *NEW* copy protection are affected. All other backups work as expected except some people were having trouble activating AWS, amplify weak sectors. This isn't an issue because Liteons can correctly write EFM regular bit patterns and thus do not (and should not) need to amplify weak sectors to make perfect SafeDisk 2.51 copies. The SecuRom *NEW* issue is the only issue.

Reading with a separate CDROM and writing the backups with the Liteon bypasses the problem entirely.

If I were buying a writer today it would be a Liteon (or possibly an Asus since I'm hearing good things about this drive).

I'm confident that the Liteon/CloneCD/SecuROM *NEW* issue will be resolved.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm definitely not an expert but you are welcome.

I only learned about the previous information while trying to track down a minor problem with my Cyberdrive CDRW.

The Cyberdrive is a bargain-priced, well-rounded unit but the new Liteons are better (in my opinion).