Effects of Boot Drive not being on SSD

renegadeice

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
Hi Guys,

Previously I had Windows 7 working on my 2 TB SATA hard drive (Installed on my C:\ Drive).

Just tonight, I've done a fresh re-install of Windows 7 on my brand new SSD. Things didn't go very smoothly with the bootloader. Basically, where I am now is....
- My old Windows 7 installation exists on my C:\ drive [old school magnetic hard drive]
- My one and only bootloader exists on my C:\ drive
- My new Windows 7 installation exists on my I:\ drive [new SSD hard drive]

As far as I can tell, this setup works pretty well for now, though it seems rather odd to run my new Windows partition on any other drive other than C:\.

My question is, what are the drawbacks of this particular setup? Am I missing out on a significant performance boost by still having my boot on a non-SSD drive?

Thanks for your help in advance, guys.

Solution
EasyBCD 2.1.2 (or latest build)
http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Use BCD Install/Repair
Change boot drive
Point it to SSD when asked.
Reboot into W7 New
SSD should now be "active" "system" "boot"

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
No idea, i thought that when installing an OS onto a new hard drive it put everything the OS needs onto that hard drive. Try reinstalling it with the 2TB thing unplugged if it feels too slow

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
first, did you unplug the old drive SATA connector and plug same to the new SSD?
(if you did) and somehow your computer is still seen the old drive as "c" there is a way to change it within windows.

Best way to avoid any issues is to installed without any other hard drive in the computer, then after everything is working good, then reattach any other hard drives.

I assume that you don't want your OS on 2 drives but rather use your old drive for your data and your SSD for your OS and main programs.

renegadeice

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
hi guys,

thanks for all your help! I've finally resolved the issue using EasyBCD.

I agree with your suggestion to install the SSD with the other hard drives disconnected first. I'll try this out for my next hard drive installation.