wishlist for the zire 73 (zire 72's sequel)

May 8, 2004 9:11:49 AM

Yes, it may be true that we won't see it before fall or next spring,
but still, it's gonna come someday (unless, god forbid, palmone goes
bankrupt in the meanwhile), and here is my wishlist...

1. user replaceable battery with an optional extended battery. MY MAIN
WISH, ALL OTHER WISHES I DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT.
Seriously, PPC machines have those and palm should have them standard
on its machines. I don't mind a slightly bigger palm if it means i
don't have to worry much about the battery. The ipaq 2210 has a user
replaceable battery and an optional 3600mah extended battery. Now
that'd be ideal for the media capabilities the zire 72 (or its sequel)
has.

2. better quality camera. possibly 2mp too. Flash (some phones have
those, why not a pda).

3. HVGA display with landscape mode (ala T3 or TH55). Isn't it a media
PDA? bring on the media display.
4. Multitasking.
5. optional phone.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 7:07:12 AM

320 x 480 without slider like T3
WiFi
64MB RAM

Galley
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 12:07:30 PM

"Mike Henley" <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> 2. better quality camera. possibly 2mp too. Flash (some phones have
> those, why not a pda).

More pixels aren't the answer. The problem with most cameras on PDAs is
related to fixed focus lenses, poor lighting adjustment logic and no flash.
PDAs are *not* digitical cameras. It's 'neat' to have a camera built in,
but only for quick and USEFUL needs. Example: I used my z72 to snap a few
shots of a room we reserved for an event to help plan placement of a sound
system and projector/screen.

It's certainly NOT photo quality.

Personally, I would be MUCH happer with a 320x240 or 640x480 display that's
crisp and clear with good lighting/contrast logic rather than the current
1.2mp fixed focus "afterthought" currently built in. Flash would be a must.

I'd like to see the following:

o 802.11 wifi option
o USB charging
o 'Scheduled' hotsyncs that incorporate bluetooth.

-jhon
May 9, 2004 2:26:44 PM

Mike Henley <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote:

> 3. HVGA display with landscape mode (ala T3 or TH55).

How do you switch the TH55 to lanscape mode?

--
Sylvain Bouju
May 9, 2004 2:26:45 PM

syl_vain@bou_ju.net (Sylvain Bouju) wrote in message news:<1gdikys.k8ru278f8jsnN%syl_vain@bou_ju.net>...
> Mike Henley <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > 3. HVGA display with landscape mode (ala T3 or TH55).
>
> How do you switch the TH55 to lanscape mode?

it doesn't, but it's HVGA
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 4:13:39 PM

Sylvain Bouju wrote:

> Mike Henley <mnhenley@msn.com> wrote:
>

>>3. HVGA display with landscape mode (ala T3 or TH55).
>

> How do you switch the TH55 to lanscape mode?

You don't, I don't think. As far as I know, there is no Sony
device that switches between portrait and landscape. Their
are either one or the other (or neither, if they're 160x160
or 320x320...).

- Logan
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 4:13:40 PM

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Sylvain Bouju wrote:
>>
>> How do you switch the TH55 to lanscape mode?
>
> You don't, I don't think. As far as I know, there is no Sony
> device that switches between portrait and landscape. Their
> are either one or the other (or neither, if they're 160x160
> or 320x320...).

Not one or the other -- all of them are portrait. Including the UX50, which
really is in portrait mode, just a wide portrait mode.
This distinction isn't just semantics, as it becomes important when doing
things like subpixel font smoothing.

Regards,
--
*Art
Anonymous

Arthur Hagen wrote:

> Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>>You don't, I don't think. As far as I know, there is no Sony
>>device that switches between portrait and landscape.
>
> Not one or the other -- all of them are portrait. Including the UX50, which
> really is in portrait mode, just a wide portrait mode.
> This distinction isn't just semantics, as it becomes important when doing
> things like subpixel font smoothing.

What definition are you using for "portrait" here? My definition
is that something is portrait if the screen dimensions (measured
when viewing the screen right side up) are X by Y and X < Y.
Likewise, my definition of landscape is when X > Y.

Obviously, you mean something different, but I am not sure what it is.

- Logan
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 5:01:08 PM

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Arthur Hagen wrote:
>
>> Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>> You don't, I don't think. As far as I know, there is no Sony
>>> device that switches between portrait and landscape.
>>
>> Not one or the other -- all of them are portrait. Including the
>> UX50, which really is in portrait mode, just a wide portrait mode.
>> This distinction isn't just semantics, as it becomes important when
>> doing things like subpixel font smoothing.
>
> What definition are you using for "portrait" here? My definition
> is that something is portrait if the screen dimensions (measured
> when viewing the screen right side up) are X by Y and X < Y.
> Likewise, my definition of landscape is when X > Y.
>
> Obviously, you mean something different, but I am not sure what it is.

Whether the display has been flipped 90 degrees or not.
Yes, in common use, landscape is wide and portrait is tall, but from a
technical view, PalmOS was originally a portrait-only device (or rather a
square device with a silkscreen area below the display area, making it
appear to be in portrait), so the "normal" view was called portrait and the
sideflipped mode got called landscape. Makes sense on the T3.
It's only with the UX40/50 and Alphasmart Dana that this definition is
confusing.

Regards,
--
*Art