Modem/Router? Huh!?

So I've been out of the internet game since dail-up was popular (makes me sound old but I'm only 23 lol). I've used broadband at varsity, etc. but I've never had internet at home since the dail-up days (using my blackberry for all my interneting needs).

I saw this great looking deal from a ISP called MWEB (I'm from South Africa) which is R199 ($25) for uncapped albeit shaped ADSL 1Mb/s (R339 [$40] including line rental). I can't find lower prices anywhere else so I think I go for this.

MWEB says I have to buy my own Modem/Router thingy. I can buy one from them for R599 ($70) but I don't know which brand or whatever it is. So I was thinking of getting my own instead and now I turn to the great community of Tom's Hardware to help me out once again on making a good buying decision.

So my questions are:

1) Should I just with everything MWEB throws at me?

2) Should I get my own Modem/Router?

3) If so what should I look for in a Modem/Router?

4) Do different Modems/Routers actually give different performance?

5) And finally (albeit a bit unrelated to the hardware) is a contention ratio of 20:1 good?

Thanks in advance again. :)
4 answers Last reply
More about modem router
  1. Your internet connection is going to be an ADSL connection.

You have two options. Go for an ADSL modem router. Or an ADSL Modem and a router
  2. 1) Should I just with everything MWEB throws at me?
    A) What make and model is the company providing?

2) Should I get my own Modem/Router?
    A) Yes, if the company is providing an inferior quality of modem/router.

3) If so what should I look for in a Modem/Router?
    A) ADSL modem capability

4) Do different Modems/Routers actually give different performance?
    A) At a speed of 1Mbps, modem hardly matters, routers do give different performance in your local area network(wired+wireless) but no difference internet speed.

5) And finally (albeit a bit unrelated to the hardware) is a contention ratio of 20:1 good?
    A) Contention ratio means how many more people you have to share internet connection with. In this case 20:1, meaning you and 19 other people will share the internet connection. That better than a 50:1 connection. X:1 lower the X, better the connection speed.
  3. That's my view.. :) wait for my senior members to reply on that before acting on my advice.
  4. Thanks a lot for your quick response.

I don't know what make or model the company has available but I will come back as soon as I find out.

But thanks a lot for the answers as I believe I have a better understanding of what's going on now.

Also I am quite envious of foreign countries with cheap high-speed internet lol hope South Africa catches up in the next couple of years so I can rock that 10mb/s line for the price I'll be paying for this 1mb/s. But its still cheaper than anything else available at the moment so I'm grateful that my country is showing some growth.

Thanks again :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Internet Service Providers Modem Networking