Switch to Mac?

Last response: in Video Games
January 17, 2005 1:00:39 AM

I'm getting ready for a new computer soon and was wondering why I shouldn't
switch to Mac? Between the cute little comp.sci. hackers and spy monkeys
this Windows stuff is getting tedious. My biggest reason for staying PC has
been games but since the biggest thing after Deus Ex has been...what? Half
Life 2? ...that's all changing. Tell me again why I shouldn't go Mac.
Thanks --ned

More about : switch mac

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:15:14 AM

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>If you want to pay twice as much for the hardware ...

Not any more: http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/

Joe
January 18, 2005 9:23:26 AM

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 05:15:14 GMT, Joe62 <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote:

>>If you want to pay twice as much for the hardware ...
>
>Not any more: http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/

Much as the Mac Mini is a very neat machine for certain applications,
with a 9200 and a Mac OS, gaming isn't one of them.
January 18, 2005 11:15:48 AM

Joe62 wrote:

> Have you seen this thing? It's like a computer from the future.

Well, insofar as it's minimalist and excellently designed as all Apple
stuff is. Apart from that it's just a Mac with no monitor or
keyboard/mouse.

--

| The New World Order ... Keep You Simple, Stupid.

January 18, 2005 11:20:32 AM

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 05:15:14 GMT, Joe62 <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote:

>>If you want to pay twice as much for the hardware ...
>
>Not any more: http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/

Sorry, I forgot to put this in my previous post, you could easily put
together a PC of that spec (not size unfortunately) for half the
price.
January 18, 2005 3:15:36 PM

> Only gaming has kept my from Mac. The Mini-Mac has me sorely tempted.
> Have you seen this thing? It's like a computer from the future.

Why not a PowerBook or iBook? Don't have to worry about a separate
monitor/keyboard/mouse. Remember the Cube? I see the same demise for the Mac
mini.

> If Mac gets just a little popular, so that most major games got ported,
> I'll
> switch.

Steve Jobs was talking "more games on the Mac" circa GeForce 3 cards. Ain't
gonna happen with less than 10% market share, unfortunately. Maybe Apple can
create their own games...iGames.

- f_f
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 6:48:50 PM

Thusly Joe62 <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> Spake Unto All:

>>If you want to pay twice as much for the hardware ...
>
>Not any more: http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/

LOL! Apple XBox.

Yeah, you can get half the hardware for the same amount of money
too...

>Joe
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:57:04 PM

>> Only gaming has kept my from Mac. The Mini-Mac has me sorely tempted.
>> Have you seen this thing? It's like a computer from the future.
>
>Why not a PowerBook or iBook? Don't have to worry about a separate
>monitor/keyboard/mouse. Remember the Cube? I see the same demise for the Mac
>mini.
>
>> If Mac gets just a little popular, so that most major games got ported,
>> I'll
>> switch.
>
>Steve Jobs was talking "more games on the Mac" circa GeForce 3 cards. Ain't
>gonna happen with less than 10% market share, unfortunately. Maybe Apple can
>create their own games...iGames.
>
>- f_f

Good one!

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:51:39 AM

In article <066pu05ocrilqjv24s317t9uuvp5lkmejl@4ax.com>, Joe62
<NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:
>
> >If you want to pay twice as much for the hardware ...
>
> Not any more: http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/
>
> Joe

That's $499 in real money :-)

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:20:32 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>Sorry, I forgot to put this in my previous post, you could easily put
>together a PC of that spec (not size unfortunately) for half the
>price.

I disagree. Remember that to get equivalent real-world performance,
assuming at least double clock-speed on the PC you're building.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:28:32 AM

"Joe62" <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:20:32 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
> wrote:
>
> >Sorry, I forgot to put this in my previous post, you could easily put
> >together a PC of that spec (not size unfortunately) for half the
> >price.
>
> I disagree. Remember that to get equivalent real-world performance,
> assuming at least double clock-speed on the PC you're building.

So all it really seems to come down to at this point, in this group of
"elite" PC users anyway, is games, and if thats all the PC has going for it
against the Mac... Thanks for your input. I think I'll post the same
question in the Dell ng but am still reluctant to post in a Mac group
because of their legendary ardour which, BTW, is something, umm, 'foreign'
to Billy and his pals and should also be tossed into the equation.--ned
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:55:22 AM

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:15:48 GMT, "One Punch Mickey"
<fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Joe62 wrote:
>
>> Have you seen this thing? It's like a computer from the future.
>
>Well, insofar as it's minimalist and excellently designed as all Apple
>stuff is. Apart from that it's just a Mac with no monitor or
>keyboard/mouse.

How upgrade able is that thing ?
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 11:21:40 AM

Thusly Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> Spake Unto All:

>>Sorry, I forgot to put this in my previous post, you could easily put
>>together a PC of that spec (not size unfortunately) for half the
>>price.
>
>I disagree. Remember that to get equivalent real-world performance,
>assuming at least double clock-speed on the PC you're building.

Double performance in what, and as measured how? Except Photoshop?
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:22:24 PM

> So all it really seems to come down to at this point, in this group of
> "elite" PC users anyway, is games, and if thats all the PC has going for
> it
> against the Mac... Thanks for your input. I think I'll post the same
> question in the Dell ng but am still reluctant to post in a Mac group
> because of their legendary ardour which, BTW, is something, umm, 'foreign'
> to Billy and his pals and should also be tossed into the equation.--ned

There are software and drivers to consider, too. You'd be hard-pressed to
find Mac software in a place like BestBuy or even Wal-Mart. Most third-party
Mac software has a Windows equivalent (except for the apps Apple makes, like
Final Cut Pro). Also, when OS X came out it took months for companies like
Canon and Epson to develop printer drivers for their equipment, especially
older models.

I have a Dell and a Mac G4 at work. The Dell gets turned on every day since
most folks around here use PC's. I fire up the Mac once or twice a month. I
actually like using both platforms, but a PC offers more bang for a
consumer's buck.

- f_f
January 20, 2005 8:21:22 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:55:22 -0500, no@nowhere.com wrote:

>How upgrade able is that thing ?

Probably not at all internally except for maybe the HD. Everything
else would have to be via USB or Firewire.
January 20, 2005 10:59:49 PM

"faster_framerates" <nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > So all it really seems to come down to at this point, in this group of
> > "elite" PC users anyway, is games, and if thats all the PC has going for
> > it
> > against the Mac... Thanks for your input. I think I'll post the same
> > question in the Dell ng but am still reluctant to post in a Mac group
> > because of their legendary ardour which, BTW, is something, umm,
'foreign'
> > to Billy and his pals and should also be tossed into the equation.--ned
>
> There are software and drivers to consider, too. You'd be hard-pressed to
> find Mac software in a place like BestBuy or even Wal-Mart. Most
third-party
> Mac software has a Windows equivalent (except for the apps Apple makes,
like
> Final Cut Pro). Also, when OS X came out it took months for companies like
> Canon and Epson to develop printer drivers for their equipment, especially
> older models.
>
> I have a Dell and a Mac G4 at work. The Dell gets turned on every day
since
> most folks around here use PC's. I fire up the Mac once or twice a month.
> actually like using both platforms, but a PC offers more bang for a
> consumer's buck.
>
> - f_f

Does one unit require more maintence than the other??
--ned
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:17:12 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:21:40 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Double performance in what, and as measured how? Except Photoshop?

Pretty much anything (except I can't say for games, don't have a lot
of experience running Mac games): opening programs and general
operations. Photoshop is the best example though since it's both
memory and CPU intensive, and it does tasks long enough to measure
with a stopwatch. It gives the system a real workout.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:19:07 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:21:22 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>Probably not at all internally except for maybe the HD. Everything
>else would have to be via USB or Firewire.

Memory you can do yourself too, but yeah that's about it.

Then again I find that upgradability is a totally oversold and
over-rated element of PCs. Usually by the time I want to upgrade what
I need is a new CPU/motherboard/graphics ... or in other words a new
computer.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:32:39 AM

Thusly Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> Spake Unto All:

>>Does one unit require more maintence than the other??
>
>PC, no question. That's a huge advantage of Mac, you can just use it
>forever with no maintenance.

That does not correspond with my experience. If you're ever going to
encounter infinite amounts of bizarre mystery configuration errors,
it's on a mac. And it's not exactly gotten better since the switch to
a unix-based core.

Also noone has pointed out that Mac OS 10 is slow as molasses, slow to
a degree windows users simply would not believe, and an orgy in stupid
design decisions.

That the majority of software, including parts of the OS, is run in
_emulation_ is no doubt part of the reason for the mac sluggishness.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:32:39 AM

Thusly Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> Spake Unto All:

>>Double performance in what, and as measured how? Except Photoshop?
>
>Pretty much anything (except I can't say for games, don't have a lot
>of experience running Mac games): opening programs and general
>operations.

Hm. No. MacOS 10 is horribly slow compared to WinXP.

> Photoshop is the best example though since it's both
>memory and CPU intensive, and it does tasks long enough to measure
>with a stopwatch. It gives the system a real workout.

No, it's Mac software ported to the PC. That's why it's slow on the
PC. It's like using Microsoft Office for a benchmark - do you think
the PC or the Mac would win that one?
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:45:38 AM

> Does one unit require more maintence than the other??
> --ned

Both OS X and Windows XP offer automatic updates via your online connection
at no charge. OS X is built upon Unix and is the only operating system I
have never crashed (programs have crashed within it, but you can gracefully
close them if the OS recognizes a problem). Windows requires frequent
virus/worm/etc. security updates with your anti-virus application of choice.
Conversely, there are not many Mac viruses around, but they have existed in
the past (mostly worms) pre-OS X.

As far as physical maintenance, I don't see much of a difference. It seems
to me Apple is gearing their computers to accept and connect to external
devices more and more (FireWire burners, hard drives, etc.) whereas most
tech geeks want all of those goodies contained in their PC boxes. Less of a
mess of cables and power supplies that way (and I prefer it all
self-contained myself).

HTH,

f_f
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:52:22 AM

>>>Does one unit require more maintence than the other??
>>

>> PC, no question. That's a huge advantage of Mac, you can just use it
>> forever with no maintenance.

Not necessarily. My coworker has had font problems galore. She probably has
too many anyway, so we ordered her Extensis Suitcase to manage them.

Hardware-wise, her motherboard battery went out after two-and-a-half years
and now her fancy, shmancy Cinema Display is on the fritz (probably due to
the G4's power supply wigging out). The non-DVI, "oval" Mac monitor
connection draws power from the tower and therefore the monitor doesn't have
an external power cord.

- f_f
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:19:58 PM

> >> PC, no question. That's a huge advantage of Mac, you can just use it
> >> forever with no maintenance.
>
> Not necessarily. My coworker has had font problems galore. She probably
has
> too many anyway, so we ordered her Extensis Suitcase to manage them.
>
> Hardware-wise, her motherboard battery went out after two-and-a-half years
> and now her fancy, shmancy Cinema Display is on the fritz (probably due to
> the G4's power supply wigging out). The non-DVI, "oval" Mac monitor
> connection draws power from the tower and therefore the monitor doesn't
have
> an external power cord.
>
> - f_f

Thanks a lot, -f_f. You're the kind of person I was hoping would respond.
I like the idea of a Mac but have used a PC for almost 15 years and have
come to enjoy trying different software and problem solving, something I
would miss going Mac. Maybe I should consider a Mac laptop as a secondary
music, art, writing toy just to get a feel for it...
Thanks again for your input. --ned
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:19:59 PM

> Thanks a lot, -f_f. You're the kind of person I was hoping would
> respond.
> I like the idea of a Mac but have used a PC for almost 15 years and have
> come to enjoy trying different software and problem solving, something I
> would miss going Mac. Maybe I should consider a Mac laptop as a secondary
> music, art, writing toy just to get a feel for it...
> Thanks again for your input. --ned

If you've got the money, I'd say go for it! I'd like to own a PowerBook
myself whenever my wife is hogging our pieced-together PC, but, as a grad
student and new parent, funds are limited. It would be nice to simply write
or design or surf while sitting on the couch.

Mac OS X is an elegant operating system and kinda neat to use, quite
honestly. It's rock solid, but takes some time to navigate around. Since
you're a novice, I'd find a nice reference book you can agree with at Barnes
& Noble that will walk you through Apple's "Think Different" mentality of
computing. For instance, to eject a "mounted" disc (and there are several
ways these days), you drag the icon to the Trash. Huh? :)

Take a friend's PowerBook or iBook for a test drive.

- f_f
January 23, 2005 10:33:13 AM

Mean_Chlorine wrote:

> Thusly Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> Spake Unto All:
>

>>>Double performance in what, and as measured how? Except Photoshop?
>>
>>Pretty much anything (except I can't say for games, don't have a lot
>>of experience running Mac games): opening programs and general
>>operations.
>

> Hm. No. MacOS 10 is horribly slow compared to WinXP.
>

>>Photoshop is the best example though since it's both
>>memory and CPU intensive, and it does tasks long enough to measure
>>with a stopwatch. It gives the system a real workout.
>

> No, it's Mac software ported to the PC. That's why it's slow on the
> PC. It's like using Microsoft Office for a benchmark - do you think
> the PC or the Mac would win that one?

Mac. MS wrote MS Office from the ground up for the Mac. Overall, it's
a better product. Macs are easier to write for.

Switched over two years ago. Had been using PCs for years, but got sick
of the BS. Hardware conflicts, software conflicts, flat out horrible OS
programming. PC users have just accepted that all those hiccups are normal.

The lack of software scare tactic is a joke. It comes down to games.
95% of computer users will find software for what they want to do for
either system. They will also find a glut of programs that either fail
to work, or load their sytems with assorted malware for Windows.

What are these magic programs that Mac users are being deprved of?

Jayhawker
January 23, 2005 5:27:27 PM

Mean_Chlorine wrote:
> Thusly Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawk.ku> Spake Unto All:
>

>>What are these magic programs that Mac users are being deprved of?
>
> A good file manager (like Total Commander),

OS X has no need for a third party file manger. O pwer user that craves
something more can merely open up the console and use Unix.

> a good news reader (like Agent),

MT Newswatcher is great, and there are plenty of choices.

> a good text editor (like TextPad),

Are you serious? You want ot throw down over Text editor? TextEdit
serves the needs of of anyone. (Free)

>a good MP3 player (like WinAmp),

Right! As if iTunes is not a better choice! (Free)

> and a good image viewer (like IrFanView or ACDSee) for
> starters.

The fact that Macs ship with iPhoto means there is no need for someone
to find decent one. Windows users would wish Apple would port it.

> No, the classes of programs aren't non-existant, it's just
> that the mac offerings aren't as good as the PC's, and that there is
> no choice.

Lies. Not only are there choices, but you still did not list one thing
the average PC user would actually want over what is available for free
on the Mac. Yes, there are nimrods that think they are power users, and
have need for all of those third party titles, butMac OS X has reduced
the need to even be a power user. THAT is what you won't ever understand.

> The rule is that Mac software is ugly, not as good as the PC
> counterpart, and crashes-to-desktop once every hour.

Lies.

> OS x isn't quite as unstable as the previous versions, e.g. thanks to
> using a modified unix core it now actually has memory protection and
> functioning virtual memory - but it still crashes more often than XP,
> plus the design of OS X makes the default look of XP, the one everyone
> turns off for Classic look, seem minimalistic, fast, and efficient.

Lies.

Enjoy your Windows life!

Jayhawker
January 23, 2005 6:06:37 PM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:27:27 GMT, Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawk.ku>
wrote:

>Yes, there are nimrods that think they are power users, and
>have need for all of those third party titles, butMac OS X has reduced
>the need to even be a power user. THAT is what you won't ever understand.

Yes, Mac users are bleeping sheep, ba-a-a-a-a-a-a.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 6:31:28 PM

In article <hgd7v0d11qqbfej2voebmcmmhqrkng9hv5@4ax.com>, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> >Are you serious? You want ot throw down over Text editor? TextEdit
> >serves the needs of of anyone. (Free)
>
> Yeah, I use texteditors a lot. And no, it doesn't. Well, at least you
> didn't insult me by suggesting BBEdit.

Nahh, you can just use vim. Or better, yet, gvim under X. :-) Aside
from the iLife apps being Unix is so cool.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 7:18:49 PM

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> thought that a good
way to threaten somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call
the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

> a good MP3 player (like WinAmp)

Dude, every elitist PC geek knows that Foobar2000 is where it's at for
playing audio media. (http://www.foobar2000.org)

--
Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:18:49 GMT, Ajay Tanwar <ajtanwar@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Dude, every elitist PC geek knows that Foobar2000 is where it's at for
>playing audio media. (http://www.foobar2000.org)

Winamp has Radio stations, looks to me like Foobar doesn't.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 7:45:59 AM

In article <keb8v057asptndvtml0p4ctrmerfavrasf@4ax.com>, Bass
<fish@no.email> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:27:27 GMT, Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawk.ku>
> wrote:
>
> >Yes, there are nimrods that think they are power users, and
> >have need for all of those third party titles, butMac OS X has reduced
> >the need to even be a power user. THAT is what you won't ever understand.
>
> Yes, Mac users are bleeping sheep, ba-a-a-a-a-a-a.

Yep, that's why we're in the 3% of the market share. Because we're
sheep, unlike the 97% of you lot. :-)

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:41:22 AM

Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawk.ku> writes:

> What are these magic programs that Mac users are being deprved of?

Spell checkers?

Nick

p.s. I'm typing this on a PowerBook, so relax!

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 04:45:59 GMT, Dan Stephenson
<stephedanospam@mac.com> wrote:

>Yep, that's why we're in the 3% of the market share. Because we're
>sheep, unlike the 97% of you lot. :-)

Well, sheep ain't too popular but your still sheep.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:07:37 PM

Bass <fish@no.email> thought that a good way to threaten somebody
was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the guy and hold the
burning fuse up to the phone and say:

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:18:49 GMT, Ajay Tanwar <ajtanwar@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Dude, every elitist PC geek knows that Foobar2000 is where it's at
>>for playing audio media. (http://www.foobar2000.org)
>
> Winamp has Radio stations, looks to me like Foobar doesn't.

You can open any of the .pls links that Winamp uses for radio in
Foobar2000.

--
Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people
in large groups." -Despair.com
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:07:38 PM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:07:37 GMT, Ajay Tanwar <ajtanwar@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>You can open any of the .pls links that Winamp uses for radio in
>Foobar2000.

OK, but you have to know where all the radio stations are first. Am I
supposed to search them with Winamp then transfer the .pls to Foobar?
Sounds like a lot of needless work. But I will try this Foobar for
..mp3's and .cda. Thx.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 5:02:03 AM

It's me <me@here.noemail> thought that a good way to threaten
somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the guy and
hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:07:37 GMT, Ajay Tanwar <ajtanwar@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>You can open any of the .pls links that Winamp uses for radio in
>>Foobar2000.
>
> OK, but you have to know where all the radio stations are first.
> Am I supposed to search them with Winamp then transfer the .pls to
> Foobar? Sounds like a lot of needless work. But I will try this
> Foobar for .mp3's and .cda. Thx.

You can just associate it with .pls files and visit
http://www.winamp.com/music/radio.php. The links will open in foobar
and you can even make your own playlist of radio stations.

--
Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people
in large groups." -Despair.com
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:39:13 AM

In article <jvOId.18760$wi2.3757@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawk.ku> wrote:
> The fact that Macs ship with iPhoto means there is no need for someone
> to find decent one. Windows users would wish Apple would port it.

Picasa, now free and distributed by Google, is an awfully fine clone
of iPhoto.

Oh, did I say clone? I meant "independently engineered
competitor". Yeah, that's the ticket.

Rick R.
January 26, 2005 10:40:44 PM

Rick Russell wrote:
> In article <jvOId.18760$wi2.3757@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
> Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawk.ku> wrote:
>
>>The fact that Macs ship with iPhoto means there is no need for someone
>>to find decent one. Windows users would wish Apple would port it.
>

> Picasa, now free and distributed by Google, is an awfully fine clone
> of iPhoto.
>
> Oh, did I say clone? I meant "independently engineered
> competitor". Yeah, that's the ticket.
>
> Rick R.

Amazing what people will download in order to avoid Apple.

Jayhawker
!