Switch to Mac?

I'm getting ready for a new computer soon and was wondering why I shouldn't
switch to Mac? Between the cute little comp.sci. hackers and spy monkeys
this Windows stuff is getting tedious. My biggest reason for staying PC has
been games but since the biggest thing after Deus Ex has been...what? Half
Life 2? ...that's all changing. Tell me again why I shouldn't go Mac.
Thanks --ned
38 answers Last reply
More about switch

    Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

    >If you want to pay twice as much for the hardware ...

    Not any more: http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/

    Joe

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 05:15:14 GMT, Joe62 <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >>If you want to pay twice as much for the hardware ...
    >
    >Not any more: http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/

    Much as the Mac Mini is a very neat machine for certain applications,
    with a 9200 and a Mac OS, gaming isn't one of them.

    Joe62 wrote:

    > Have you seen this thing? It's like a computer from the future.

    Well, insofar as it's minimalist and excellently designed as all Apple
    stuff is. Apart from that it's just a Mac with no monitor or
    keyboard/mouse.

    --

    | The New World Order ... Keep You Simple, Stupid.

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 05:15:14 GMT, Joe62 <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >>If you want to pay twice as much for the hardware ...
    >
    >Not any more: http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/

    Sorry, I forgot to put this in my previous post, you could easily put
    together a PC of that spec (not size unfortunately) for half the
    price.

    > Only gaming has kept my from Mac. The Mini-Mac has me sorely tempted.
    > Have you seen this thing? It's like a computer from the future.

    Why not a PowerBook or iBook? Don't have to worry about a separate
    monitor/keyboard/mouse. Remember the Cube? I see the same demise for the Mac
    mini.

    > If Mac gets just a little popular, so that most major games got ported,
    > I'll
    > switch.

    Steve Jobs was talking "more games on the Mac" circa GeForce 3 cards. Ain't
    gonna happen with less than 10% market share, unfortunately. Maybe Apple can
    create their own games...iGames.

    - f_f

    Thusly Joe62 <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> Spake Unto All:

    >>If you want to pay twice as much for the hardware ...
    >
    >Not any more: http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/

    LOL! Apple XBox.

    Yeah, you can get half the hardware for the same amount of money
    too...

    >Joe

    >> Only gaming has kept my from Mac. The Mini-Mac has me sorely tempted.
    >> Have you seen this thing? It's like a computer from the future.
    >
    >Why not a PowerBook or iBook? Don't have to worry about a separate
    >monitor/keyboard/mouse. Remember the Cube? I see the same demise for the Mac
    >mini.
    >
    >> If Mac gets just a little popular, so that most major games got ported,
    >> I'll
    >> switch.
    >
    >Steve Jobs was talking "more games on the Mac" circa GeForce 3 cards. Ain't
    >gonna happen with less than 10% market share, unfortunately. Maybe Apple can
    >create their own games...iGames.
    >
    >- f_f

    Good one!

    -pw
    remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
    (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

    In article <066pu05ocrilqjv24s317t9uuvp5lkmejl@4ax.com>, Joe62
    <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote:

    > Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:
    >
    > >If you want to pay twice as much for the hardware ...
    >
    > Not any more: http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/
    >
    > Joe

    That's $499 in real money :-)

    http://www.apple.com/macmini/

    --
    Dan Stephenson
    Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:20:32 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
    wrote:

    >Sorry, I forgot to put this in my previous post, you could easily put
    >together a PC of that spec (not size unfortunately) for half the
    >price.

    I disagree. Remember that to get equivalent real-world performance,
    assuming at least double clock-speed on the PC you're building.

    "Joe62" <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:20:32 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Sorry, I forgot to put this in my previous post, you could easily put
    > >together a PC of that spec (not size unfortunately) for half the
    > >price.
    >
    > I disagree. Remember that to get equivalent real-world performance,
    > assuming at least double clock-speed on the PC you're building.

    So all it really seems to come down to at this point, in this group of
    "elite" PC users anyway, is games, and if thats all the PC has going for it
    against the Mac... Thanks for your input. I think I'll post the same
    question in the Dell ng but am still reluctant to post in a Mac group
    because of their legendary ardour which, BTW, is something, umm, 'foreign'
    to Billy and his pals and should also be tossed into the equation.--ned

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:15:48 GMT, "One Punch Mickey"
    <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Joe62 wrote:
    >
    >> Have you seen this thing? It's like a computer from the future.
    >
    >Well, insofar as it's minimalist and excellently designed as all Apple
    >stuff is. Apart from that it's just a Mac with no monitor or
    >keyboard/mouse.

    How upgrade able is that thing ?

    Thusly Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> Spake Unto All:

    >>Sorry, I forgot to put this in my previous post, you could easily put
    >>together a PC of that spec (not size unfortunately) for half the
    >>price.
    >
    >I disagree. Remember that to get equivalent real-world performance,
    >assuming at least double clock-speed on the PC you're building.

    Double performance in what, and as measured how? Except Photoshop?

    > So all it really seems to come down to at this point, in this group of
    > "elite" PC users anyway, is games, and if thats all the PC has going for
    > it
    > against the Mac... Thanks for your input. I think I'll post the same
    > question in the Dell ng but am still reluctant to post in a Mac group
    > because of their legendary ardour which, BTW, is something, umm, 'foreign'
    > to Billy and his pals and should also be tossed into the equation.--ned

    There are software and drivers to consider, too. You'd be hard-pressed to
    find Mac software in a place like BestBuy or even Wal-Mart. Most third-party
    Mac software has a Windows equivalent (except for the apps Apple makes, like
    Final Cut Pro). Also, when OS X came out it took months for companies like
    Canon and Epson to develop printer drivers for their equipment, especially
    older models.

    I have a Dell and a Mac G4 at work. The Dell gets turned on every day since
    most folks around here use PC's. I fire up the Mac once or twice a month. I
    actually like using both platforms, but a PC offers more bang for a
    consumer's buck.

    - f_f

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:55:22 -0500, no@nowhere.com wrote:

    >How upgrade able is that thing ?

    Probably not at all internally except for maybe the HD. Everything
    else would have to be via USB or Firewire.

    "faster_framerates" <nothanks@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > So all it really seems to come down to at this point, in this group of
    > > "elite" PC users anyway, is games, and if thats all the PC has going for
    > > it
    > > against the Mac... Thanks for your input. I think I'll post the same
    > > question in the Dell ng but am still reluctant to post in a Mac group
    > > because of their legendary ardour which, BTW, is something, umm,
    'foreign'
    > > to Billy and his pals and should also be tossed into the equation.--ned
    >
    > There are software and drivers to consider, too. You'd be hard-pressed to
    > find Mac software in a place like BestBuy or even Wal-Mart. Most
    third-party
    > Mac software has a Windows equivalent (except for the apps Apple makes,
    like
    > Final Cut Pro). Also, when OS X came out it took months for companies like
    > Canon and Epson to develop printer drivers for their equipment, especially
    > older models.
    >
    > I have a Dell and a Mac G4 at work. The Dell gets turned on every day
    since
    > most folks around here use PC's. I fire up the Mac once or twice a month.
    > actually like using both platforms, but a PC offers more bang for a
    > consumer's buck.
    >
    > - f_f

    Does one unit require more maintence than the other??
    --ned

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:21:40 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
    <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Double performance in what, and as measured how? Except Photoshop?

    Pretty much anything (except I can't say for games, don't have a lot
    of experience running Mac games): opening programs and general
    operations. Photoshop is the best example though since it's both
    memory and CPU intensive, and it does tasks long enough to measure
    with a stopwatch. It gives the system a real workout.

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:21:22 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
    wrote:

    >Probably not at all internally except for maybe the HD. Everything
    >else would have to be via USB or Firewire.

    Memory you can do yourself too, but yeah that's about it.

    Then again I find that upgradability is a totally oversold and
    over-rated element of PCs. Usually by the time I want to upgrade what
    I need is a new CPU/motherboard/graphics ... or in other words a new
    computer.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> Spake Unto All:

    >>Does one unit require more maintence than the other??
    >
    >PC, no question. That's a huge advantage of Mac, you can just use it
    >forever with no maintenance.

    That does not correspond with my experience. If you're ever going to
    encounter infinite amounts of bizarre mystery configuration errors,
    it's on a mac. And it's not exactly gotten better since the switch to
    a unix-based core.

    Also noone has pointed out that Mac OS 10 is slow as molasses, slow to
    a degree windows users simply would not believe, and an orgy in stupid
    design decisions.

    That the majority of software, including parts of the OS, is run in
    _emulation_ is no doubt part of the reason for the mac sluggishness.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> Spake Unto All:

    >>Double performance in what, and as measured how? Except Photoshop?
    >
    >Pretty much anything (except I can't say for games, don't have a lot
    >of experience running Mac games): opening programs and general
    >operations.

    Hm. No. MacOS 10 is horribly slow compared to WinXP.

    > Photoshop is the best example though since it's both
    >memory and CPU intensive, and it does tasks long enough to measure
    >with a stopwatch. It gives the system a real workout.

    No, it's Mac software ported to the PC. That's why it's slow on the
    PC. It's like using Microsoft Office for a benchmark - do you think
    the PC or the Mac would win that one?
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > Does one unit require more maintence than the other??
    > --ned

    Both OS X and Windows XP offer automatic updates via your online connection
    at no charge. OS X is built upon Unix and is the only operating system I
    have never crashed (programs have crashed within it, but you can gracefully
    close them if the OS recognizes a problem). Windows requires frequent
    virus/worm/etc. security updates with your anti-virus application of choice.
    Conversely, there are not many Mac viruses around, but they have existed in
    the past (mostly worms) pre-OS X.

    As far as physical maintenance, I don't see much of a difference. It seems
    to me Apple is gearing their computers to accept and connect to external
    devices more and more (FireWire burners, hard drives, etc.) whereas most
    tech geeks want all of those goodies contained in their PC boxes. Less of a
    mess of cables and power supplies that way (and I prefer it all
    self-contained myself).

    HTH,

    f_f
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    >>>Does one unit require more maintence than the other??
    >>

    >> PC, no question. That's a huge advantage of Mac, you can just use it
    >> forever with no maintenance.

    Not necessarily. My coworker has had font problems galore. She probably has
    too many anyway, so we ordered her Extensis Suitcase to manage them.

    Hardware-wise, her motherboard battery went out after two-and-a-half years
    and now her fancy, shmancy Cinema Display is on the fritz (probably due to
    the G4's power supply wigging out). The non-DVI, "oval" Mac monitor
    connection draws power from the tower and therefore the monitor doesn't have
    an external power cord.

    - f_f
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > >> PC, no question. That's a huge advantage of Mac, you can just use it
    > >> forever with no maintenance.
    >
    > Not necessarily. My coworker has had font problems galore. She probably
    has
    > too many anyway, so we ordered her Extensis Suitcase to manage them.
    >
    > Hardware-wise, her motherboard battery went out after two-and-a-half years
    > and now her fancy, shmancy Cinema Display is on the fritz (probably due to
    > the G4's power supply wigging out). The non-DVI, "oval" Mac monitor
    > connection draws power from the tower and therefore the monitor doesn't
    have
    > an external power cord.
    >
    > - f_f

    Thanks a lot, -f_f. You're the kind of person I was hoping would respond.
    I like the idea of a Mac but have used a PC for almost 15 years and have
    come to enjoy trying different software and problem solving, something I
    would miss going Mac. Maybe I should consider a Mac laptop as a secondary
    music, art, writing toy just to get a feel for it...
    Thanks again for your input. --ned
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > Thanks a lot, -f_f. You're the kind of person I was hoping would
    > respond.
    > I like the idea of a Mac but have used a PC for almost 15 years and have
    > come to enjoy trying different software and problem solving, something I
    > would miss going Mac. Maybe I should consider a Mac laptop as a secondary
    > music, art, writing toy just to get a feel for it...
    > Thanks again for your input. --ned

    If you've got the money, I'd say go for it! I'd like to own a PowerBook
    myself whenever my wife is hogging our pieced-together PC, but, as a grad
    student and new parent, funds are limited. It would be nice to simply write
    or design or surf while sitting on the couch.

    Mac OS X is an elegant operating system and kinda neat to use, quite
    honestly. It's rock solid, but takes some time to navigate around. Since
    you're a novice, I'd find a nice reference book you can agree with at Barnes
    & Noble that will walk you through Apple's "Think Different" mentality of
    computing. For instance, to eject a "mounted" disc (and there are several
    ways these days), you drag the icon to the Trash. Huh? :)

    Take a friend's PowerBook or iBook for a test drive.

    - f_f
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine wrote:

    > Thusly Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> Spake Unto All:
    >

    >>>Double performance in what, and as measured how? Except Photoshop?
    >>
    >>Pretty much anything (except I can't say for games, don't have a lot
    >>of experience running Mac games): opening programs and general
    >>operations.
    >

    > Hm. No. MacOS 10 is horribly slow compared to WinXP.
    >

    >>Photoshop is the best example though since it's both
    >>memory and CPU intensive, and it does tasks long enough to measure
    >>with a stopwatch. It gives the system a real workout.
    >

    > No, it's Mac software ported to the PC. That's why it's slow on the
    > PC. It's like using Microsoft Office for a benchmark - do you think
    > the PC or the Mac would win that one?

    Mac. MS wrote MS Office from the ground up for the Mac. Overall, it's
    a better product. Macs are easier to write for.

    Switched over two years ago. Had been using PCs for years, but got sick
    of the BS. Hardware conflicts, software conflicts, flat out horrible OS
    programming. PC users have just accepted that all those hiccups are normal.

    The lack of software scare tactic is a joke. It comes down to games.
    95% of computer users will find software for what they want to do for
    either system. They will also find a glut of programs that either fail
    to work, or load their sytems with assorted malware for Windows.

    What are these magic programs that Mac users are being deprved of?

    Jayhawker
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine wrote:
    > Thusly Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawk.ku> Spake Unto All:
    >

    >>What are these magic programs that Mac users are being deprved of?
    >
    > A good file manager (like Total Commander),

    OS X has no need for a third party file manger. O pwer user that craves
    something more can merely open up the console and use Unix.

    > a good news reader (like Agent),

    MT Newswatcher is great, and there are plenty of choices.

    > a good text editor (like TextPad),

    Are you serious? You want ot throw down over Text editor? TextEdit
    serves the needs of of anyone. (Free)

    >a good MP3 player (like WinAmp),

    Right! As if iTunes is not a better choice! (Free)

    > and a good image viewer (like IrFanView or ACDSee) for
    > starters.

    The fact that Macs ship with iPhoto means there is no need for someone
    to find decent one. Windows users would wish Apple would port it.

    > No, the classes of programs aren't non-existant, it's just
    > that the mac offerings aren't as good as the PC's, and that there is
    > no choice.

    Lies. Not only are there choices, but you still did not list one thing
    the average PC user would actually want over what is available for free
    on the Mac. Yes, there are nimrods that think they are power users, and
    have need for all of those third party titles, butMac OS X has reduced
    the need to even be a power user. THAT is what you won't ever understand.

    > The rule is that Mac software is ugly, not as good as the PC
    > counterpart, and crashes-to-desktop once every hour.

    Lies.

    > OS x isn't quite as unstable as the previous versions, e.g. thanks to
    > using a modified unix core it now actually has memory protection and
    > functioning virtual memory - but it still crashes more often than XP,
    > plus the design of OS X makes the default look of XP, the one everyone
    > turns off for Classic look, seem minimalistic, fast, and efficient.

    Lies.

    Enjoy your Windows life!

    Jayhawker
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:27:27 GMT, Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawk.ku>
    wrote:

    >Yes, there are nimrods that think they are power users, and
    >have need for all of those third party titles, butMac OS X has reduced
    >the need to even be a power user. THAT is what you won't ever understand.

    Yes, Mac users are bleeping sheep, ba-a-a-a-a-a-a.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    In article <hgd7v0d11qqbfej2voebmcmmhqrkng9hv5@4ax.com>, Mean_Chlorine
    <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    > >Are you serious? You want ot throw down over Text editor? TextEdit
    > >serves the needs of of anyone. (Free)
    >
    > Yeah, I use texteditors a lot. And no, it doesn't. Well, at least you
    > didn't insult me by suggesting BBEdit.

    Nahh, you can just use vim. Or better, yet, gvim under X. :-) Aside
    from the iLife apps being Unix is so cool.

    --
    Dan Stephenson
    Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
    http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine wrote:

    > Let me just show you this. It was written for people like you.
    > http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/iProduct.gif

    LOL. Excellent.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> thought that a good
    way to threaten somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call
    the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

    > a good MP3 player (like WinAmp)

    Dude, every elitist PC geek knows that Foobar2000 is where it's at for
    playing audio media. (http://www.foobar2000.org)

    --
    Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:18:49 GMT, Ajay Tanwar <ajtanwar@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Dude, every elitist PC geek knows that Foobar2000 is where it's at for
    >playing audio media. (http://www.foobar2000.org)

    Winamp has Radio stations, looks to me like Foobar doesn't.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    In article <keb8v057asptndvtml0p4ctrmerfavrasf@4ax.com>, Bass
    <fish@no.email> wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:27:27 GMT, Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawk.ku>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Yes, there are nimrods that think they are power users, and
    > >have need for all of those third party titles, butMac OS X has reduced
    > >the need to even be a power user. THAT is what you won't ever understand.
    >
    > Yes, Mac users are bleeping sheep, ba-a-a-a-a-a-a.

    Yep, that's why we're in the 3% of the market share. Because we're
    sheep, unlike the 97% of you lot. :-)

    --
    Dan Stephenson
    Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
    http://homepage.mac.com/stepheda
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawk.ku> writes:

    > What are these magic programs that Mac users are being deprved of?

    Spell checkers?

    Nick

    p.s. I'm typing this on a PowerBook, so relax!

    --
    # sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
    print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 04:45:59 GMT, Dan Stephenson
    <stephedanospam@mac.com> wrote:

    >Yep, that's why we're in the 3% of the market share. Because we're
    >sheep, unlike the 97% of you lot. :-)

    Well, sheep ain't too popular but your still sheep.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Bass <fish@no.email> thought that a good way to threaten somebody
    was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the guy and hold the
    burning fuse up to the phone and say:

    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:18:49 GMT, Ajay Tanwar <ajtanwar@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Dude, every elitist PC geek knows that Foobar2000 is where it's at
    >>for playing audio media. (http://www.foobar2000.org)
    >
    > Winamp has Radio stations, looks to me like Foobar doesn't.

    You can open any of the .pls links that Winamp uses for radio in
    Foobar2000.

    --
    Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people
    in large groups." -Despair.com
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:07:37 GMT, Ajay Tanwar <ajtanwar@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >You can open any of the .pls links that Winamp uses for radio in
    >Foobar2000.

    OK, but you have to know where all the radio stations are first. Am I
    supposed to search them with Winamp then transfer the .pls to Foobar?
    Sounds like a lot of needless work. But I will try this Foobar for
    ..mp3's and .cda. Thx.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    It's me <me@here.noemail> thought that a good way to threaten
    somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the guy and
    hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:07:37 GMT, Ajay Tanwar <ajtanwar@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>You can open any of the .pls links that Winamp uses for radio in
    >>Foobar2000.
    >
    > OK, but you have to know where all the radio stations are first.
    > Am I supposed to search them with Winamp then transfer the .pls to
    > Foobar? Sounds like a lot of needless work. But I will try this
    > Foobar for .mp3's and .cda. Thx.

    You can just associate it with .pls files and visit
    http://www.winamp.com/music/radio.php. The links will open in foobar
    and you can even make your own playlist of radio stations.

    --
    Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people
    in large groups." -Despair.com
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    In article <jvOId.18760$wi2.3757@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
    Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawk.ku> wrote:
    > The fact that Macs ship with iPhoto means there is no need for someone
    > to find decent one. Windows users would wish Apple would port it.

    Picasa, now free and distributed by Google, is an awfully fine clone
    of iPhoto.

    Oh, did I say clone? I meant "independently engineered
    competitor". Yeah, that's the ticket.

    Rick R.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Rick Russell wrote:
    > In article <jvOId.18760$wi2.3757@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
    > Jayhawker <rock.chalk@jayhawk.ku> wrote:
    >
    >>The fact that Macs ship with iPhoto means there is no need for someone
    >>to find decent one. Windows users would wish Apple would port it.
    >

    > Picasa, now free and distributed by Google, is an awfully fine clone
    > of iPhoto.
    >
    > Oh, did I say clone? I meant "independently engineered
    > competitor". Yeah, that's the ticket.
    >
    > Rick R.

    Amazing what people will download in order to avoid Apple.

    Jayhawker

PC gaming Switch Games Macintosh Video Games Product