Sign in with
Your question

Creating a VNC. User switching??

Last response: in Networking
August 3, 2012 4:28:35 AM

is there a way to get a VNC set up on ubuntu that will allow for me to log off and into a different account? or have 2 some how run simultaneously?

http://www.tightvnc.com/

is the one i found from a guide I'm using in the creation process.
Are there better ones that i can use that may make this process easier?

How do i go about setting up ubuntu to allow access to certain folders across the network? for easy copying of files etc etc.

Basically there's 3 people that would use the VNC i set up. I basically want it to be an Advanced option of a back-up solution. It seems simpler to create this than a server. Plus, gives me the option to leave certain applications running on it at all times.

So, are there ways I can do anything like I plan to? user switching being my biggest deal. for security and privacy between each VNC user.
August 3, 2012 8:35:17 PM

I don't think remote desktop is the solution you need, at least if you're merely trying to share files, or allow users to manage their own files remotely.

The problem w/ remote desktop is that it's not really designed to be re-entrant. What I mean by that is, although you could create multiple accounts, and let's assume we can configure the remote desktop to allow the choice of login, only one user can effectively be using that remote desktop at the same time. In fact, most any remote desktop application that allows simultaneous usage would simply drop the next user into the current user’s session! Oops! IOW, it's *still* a one-user environment no matter how many accounts you create or remote sessions you allow.

That’s why this is really a server problem. Servers are designed to manage multiple users, all at the same time, while keeping them separately logically for reasons of security. And you can certainly establish home folders for each user and give them remote access to ONLY their home folders, similar to Windows file sharing.

Of course, if the intent is to provide access to applications too, that won’t suffice. But as I said before, a remote desktop doesn’t really solve the separation problem. What I would suggest instead is using virtual machine technology. For example, you have one machine as the host computer (Linux, Windows, whatever) and create three (3) virtual machines (guests), one for each user. Yeah, a bit more of a hassle perhaps, but that gives you the separation and security you need. In fact, each user could manage their own Linux environment at an administrative level if you so choose since they can’t harm anyone else but themselves. You could create one virtual machine as sort of your “template”, then clone it to create the others. You can even take snapshots, let the users do what they like, and if they mess up the environment, do a restore to the original template, in seconds! Easy.

So perhaps it’s a mix of each, a little server support where all the users need to share things, but remote desktop to their respective VMs when they need more isolation, security, and a tailored applications environment.

m
l
!