Steam Question

I now own HL2. If I decide to buy another Steam title in the future, will I
be able to start an entirely new steam account under a different name and
play the new game from that account or will steam somehow try to force me to
keep all games consolidated to one account?
16 answers Last reply
More about steam question

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:24:16 -0500, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:

    >I now own HL2. If I decide to buy another Steam title in the future, will I
    >be able to start an entirely new steam account under a different name and
    >play the new game from that account or will steam somehow try to force me to
    >keep all games consolidated to one account?

    Yes. You are free to choose either of the two paths you want, but once you
    make the choice, it can't be undone.

    In any case, it's best to keep it under one account. It's one less
    password you have to memorize and doesn't require you to keep switching
    accounts.

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:13:39 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:24:16 -0500, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:
    >
    >>I now own HL2. If I decide to buy another Steam title in the future, will I
    >>be able to start an entirely new steam account under a different name and
    >>play the new game from that account or will steam somehow try to force me to
    >>keep all games consolidated to one account?
    >
    >Yes. You are free to choose either of the two paths you want, but once you
    >make the choice, it can't be undone.
    >
    >In any case, it's best to keep it under one account. It's one less
    >password you have to memorize and doesn't require you to keep switching
    >accounts.

    You can use the same password for all accounts and only change it when
    you are about to give your account away.
    --
    Noman

    "noman" <ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:13:39 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:24:16 -0500, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I now own HL2. If I decide to buy another Steam title in the future,
    will I
    > >>be able to start an entirely new steam account under a different name
    and
    > >>play the new game from that account or will steam somehow try to force
    me to
    > >>keep all games consolidated to one account?
    > >
    > >Yes. You are free to choose either of the two paths you want, but once
    you
    > >make the choice, it can't be undone.
    > >
    > >In any case, it's best to keep it under one account. It's one less
    > >password you have to memorize and doesn't require you to keep switching
    > >accounts.
    >
    > You can use the same password for all accounts and only change it when
    > you are about to give your account away.

    Maybe you answered my next question... If I want to sell the game I'd have
    to sell the account with it. So if I use one account and one password I
    can't sell just one game, only all the games at once, right? If so, I'd be
    better off making one account per game.

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:18:22 -0500, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:

    >"noman" <ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:13:39 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In any case, it's best to keep it under one account. It's one less
    >> >password you have to memorize and doesn't require you to keep switching
    >> >accounts.
    >>
    >> You can use the same password for all accounts and only change it when
    >> you are about to give your account away.
    >
    >Maybe you answered my next question... If I want to sell the game I'd have
    >to sell the account with it. So if I use one account and one password I
    >can't sell just one game, only all the games at once, right? If so, I'd be
    >better off making one account per game.

    Valve claims that is against the EULA, and but feel free to do it anyway.
    (They can't really enforce it, other than checking for randomly generated
    account names.)

    "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:18:22 -0500, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:
    >

    > >"noman" <ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > >> You can use the same password for all accounts and only change it when
    > >> you are about to give your account away.
    > >
    > >Maybe you answered my next question... If I want to sell the game I'd
    have
    > >to sell the account with it. So if I use one account and one password I
    > >can't sell just one game, only all the games at once, right? If so, I'd
    be
    > >better off making one account per game.
    > >

    > Valve claims that is against the EULA, and but feel free to do it anyway.
    > (They can't really enforce it, other than checking for randomly generated
    > account names.)

    Thanks... one more clarification if you will...

    So, I read some post saying that when setup a steam account and log on that
    it scans your hard drive and finds all steam hosted games (even older
    pre-steam games). At that point, Steam adds those games to your account
    then makes the keys obsolete. Is this accurate or is this BS?

    Now, the CDs containing the games aren't going to know their keys have been
    made obsolete, so of course the keys will still work with the games. And
    any stand alone patches are going to work and not require the keys either.
    So, I guess the only thing this effects is pre-steam games that were used
    for MP or something like that. I'm not really sure what the big deal is
    other than suddenly having all your games consolidated into one account. If
    you were to try to resell one of the titles for MP play the new owner
    couldn't use the game (unless you sold the account with it) because he
    couldn't get on a legal server. Is that about right?

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:13:36 GMT, ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com (noman)
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:13:39 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:24:16 -0500, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I now own HL2. If I decide to buy another Steam title in the future, will I
    >>>be able to start an entirely new steam account under a different name and
    >>>play the new game from that account or will steam somehow try to force me to
    >>>keep all games consolidated to one account?
    >>
    >>Yes. You are free to choose either of the two paths you want, but once you
    >>make the choice, it can't be undone.
    >>
    >>In any case, it's best to keep it under one account. It's one less
    >>password you have to memorize and doesn't require you to keep switching
    >>accounts.
    >
    >You can use the same password for all accounts and only change it when
    >you are about to give your account away.

    Can't do that according to Valve. Now passing on your posting to
    Gabe.... expect to see your account canceled. Too bad. So sad.

    John Lewis

    JoeSmooth wrote:
    > I now own HL2. If I decide to buy another Steam title in the future,
    > will I be able to start an entirely new steam account under a
    > different name and play the new game from that account or will steam
    > somehow try to force me to keep all games consolidated to one account?

    yes

    JoeSmooth wrote:
    > I now own HL2. If I decide to buy another Steam title in the future, will I
    > be able to start an entirely new steam account under a different name and
    > play the new game from that account or will steam somehow try to force me to
    > keep all games consolidated to one account?

    You should know the answer to that. It really isnt difficult. I thought
    higher of you than this blatant troll.

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 04:01:58 +0100, Walter Mitty
    <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >JoeSmooth wrote:
    >> I now own HL2. If I decide to buy another Steam title in the future, will I
    >> be able to start an entirely new steam account under a different name and
    >> play the new game from that account or will steam somehow try to force me to
    >> keep all games consolidated to one account?
    >>

    >You should know the answer to that. It really isnt difficult. I thought
    >higher of you than this blatant troll.

    Ah.... Gabe's oracle has spoken. Such questioning words as those of
    the OP concerning the Steam idol of Almightly Valve are blasphemy.
    None such words are ever to be uttered again by any of Valve's
    worshippers, under the pain of excommunication --- which shall render
    the silver discs given to all worshippers in retail temples ( in
    exchange for their alms) totally useless........

    John Lewis

    "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > JoeSmooth wrote:
    > > I now own HL2. If I decide to buy another Steam title in the future,
    will I
    > > be able to start an entirely new steam account under a different name
    and
    > > play the new game from that account or will steam somehow try to force
    me to
    > > keep all games consolidated to one account?
    > >

    > You should know the answer to that. It really isnt difficult. I thought
    > higher of you than this blatant troll.

    What I know I've gleened from threads here on the newsgroup (and we both
    know how bias those sources can sometimes be). I'm just trying to get clear
    on a few issues before I make future purchases and the answers should help
    others as well. Why the hell that makes me a troll, I donno. Would you
    rather I just make assumptions about Steam and act out of ignorance? You've
    accused me (and others) of that several times. With you, in this case, I'm
    damened if I do, damned if I don't.

    JoeSmooth wrote:
    > "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >>JoeSmooth wrote:
    >>
    >>>I now own HL2. If I decide to buy another Steam title in the future,
    >
    > will I
    >
    >>>be able to start an entirely new steam account under a different name
    >
    > and
    >
    >>>play the new game from that account or will steam somehow try to force
    >
    > me to
    >
    >>>keep all games consolidated to one account?
    >>>

    >>You should know the answer to that. It really isnt difficult. I thought
    >>higher of you than this blatant troll.
    >

    > What I know I've gleened from threads here on the newsgroup (and we both
    > know how bias those sources can sometimes be). I'm just trying to get clear
    > on a few issues before I make future purchases and the answers should help
    > others as well. Why the hell that makes me a troll, I donno. Would you
    > rather I just make assumptions about Steam and act out of ignorance? You've
    > accused me (and others) of that several times. With you, in this case, I'm
    > damened if I do, damned if I don't.

    Oh come on , puh-leaze. Read what you asked.

    Here : If I buy a new game am I able to associate it with a new steam
    account?

    Since you can have as many Steam accounts as you want, why on earth
    would you not be able to associate your new game with the new account?

    The acocunts are in no way linked. When you create a Steam account, does
    it somehow already know you have another? of courese not. Thats how
    multiple people can log into steam on the same computer : multiple accounts.

    It is so blindingly obvious I mistakenly assumed you were trolling.

    > JoeSmooth wrote:
    > > "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > will I

    > > and

    > > me to

    > >>You should know the answer to that. It really isnt difficult. I thought
    > >>higher of you than this blatant troll.
    > >

    > > What I know I've gleened from threads here on the newsgroup (and we both
    > > know how bias those sources can sometimes be). I'm just trying to get
    clear
    > > on a few issues before I make future purchases and the answers should
    help
    > > others as well. Why the hell that makes me a troll, I donno. Would you
    > > rather I just make assumptions about Steam and act out of ignorance?
    You've
    > > accused me (and others) of that several times. With you, in this case,
    I'm
    > > damened if I do, damned if I don't.
    > >

    > Oh come on , puh-leaze. Read what you asked.
    >
    > Here : If I buy a new game am I able to associate it with a new steam
    > account?
    >
    > Since you can have as many Steam accounts as you want, why on earth
    > would you not be able to associate your new game with the new account?
    >
    > The acocunts are in no way linked. When you create a Steam account, does
    > it somehow already know you have another? of courese not.

    I also read here in this trusty newsgroup that Steam scans your HD and that
    it looks for other steam related titles (even if they are pre-steam titles)
    and it consolidates them into one account (for MP play?) and while doing so
    it makes the keys obsolete. If so, then would multiple accounts create some
    kind of conflict the next time Steam scans your HD? If it doesn't know you
    already have another account, then why wouldn't it try to consolidate those
    "other steam account games" into "this steam account games"? Granted I
    could be misinformed about what steam does or doesn't do in terms of HD
    scans and account consolidations, but that's why posted... to get clear
    about it. BTW, is there a preference you can turn off so that steam does
    NOT consolidate your games into one account?

    > Thats how
    > multiple people can log into steam on the same computer : multiple
    accounts.

    I suppose if two different people owning two different steam games installed
    them on the same computer, then it would make sense that each individual
    owner should each have their own steam account. If I'm not misinformed
    about they way a steam account will retoractively consolidate pre-steam
    games, then that means it's likely steam will consolidate different owners
    into one account the first time it's installed (assuming this function is a
    default function). Again, could be wrong on this and I welcome you to set
    me straight.

    > It is so blindingly obvious I mistakenly assumed you were trolling.

    IMO, you probably mistakened me for trolling because you know I'm anti-steam
    and so you read-into my otherwise neutral post. Maybe I'm guiliting of
    overthinking the problem, but I think there's enough misinformation around
    to justify a little confusion.

    Nevertheless, thanks for the info, and if you can set me straight, thanks
    all the more. However someone feels about Steam it's clearly better not to
    be ignorant about it.

    Walter Mitty wrote:

    > The acocunts

    Nice typo. To any Acos out there, I apologise.

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:44:10 -0500, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:

    >"Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> JoeSmooth wrote:
    >> > "Walter Mitty" <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> > will I

    >> > and

    >> > me to

    >> > What I know I've gleened from threads here on the newsgroup (and we both
    >> > know how bias those sources can sometimes be). I'm just trying to get
    >clear
    >> > on a few issues before I make future purchases and the answers should
    >help
    >> > others as well. Why the hell that makes me a troll, I donno. Would you
    >> > rather I just make assumptions about Steam and act out of ignorance?
    >You've
    >> > accused me (and others) of that several times. With you, in this case,
    >I'm
    >> > damened if I do, damned if I don't.
    >> >

    >> Oh come on , puh-leaze. Read what you asked.
    >>
    >> Here : If I buy a new game am I able to associate it with a new steam
    >> account?
    >>
    >> Since you can have as many Steam accounts as you want, why on earth
    >> would you not be able to associate your new game with the new account?
    >>
    >> The acocunts are in no way linked. When you create a Steam account, does
    >> it somehow already know you have another? of courese not.
    >
    >I also read here in this trusty newsgroup that Steam scans your HD and that
    >it looks for other steam related titles (even if they are pre-steam titles)
    >and it consolidates them into one account (for MP play?) and while doing so
    >it makes the keys obsolete. If so, then would multiple accounts create some
    >kind of conflict the next time Steam scans your HD? If it doesn't know you
    >already have another account, then why wouldn't it try to consolidate those
    >"other steam account games" into "this steam account games"? Granted I
    >could be misinformed about what steam does or doesn't do in terms of HD
    >scans and account consolidations, but that's why posted... to get clear
    >about it. BTW, is there a preference you can turn off so that steam does
    >NOT consolidate your games into one account?
    >
    >> Thats how
    >> multiple people can log into steam on the same computer : multiple
    >accounts.
    >
    >I suppose if two different people owning two different steam games installed
    >them on the same computer, then it would make sense that each individual
    >owner should each have their own steam account. If I'm not misinformed
    >about they way a steam account will retoractively consolidate pre-steam
    >games, then that means it's likely steam will consolidate different owners
    >into one account the first time it's installed (assuming this function is a
    >default function). Again, could be wrong on this and I welcome you to set
    >me straight.

    A very interesting question indeed...........
    Certainly one that needs complete clarification before the purchase of
    another Steam game.

    Anybody got two differently-named Steam accounts under the same XP
    log-in ?

    Maybe somebody who has purchased CS:C0 and has also purchased
    HL2 and placed them under different Steam account names can
    let us know whether Steam ever attempted such consolidation.

    John Lewis

    "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote in message
    > So, I read some post saying that when setup a steam account and log on
    that
    > it scans your hard drive and finds all steam hosted games (even older
    > pre-steam games). At that point, Steam adds those games to your account
    > then makes the keys obsolete. Is this accurate or is this BS?
    >
    > Now, the CDs containing the games aren't going to know their keys have
    been
    > made obsolete, so of course the keys will still work with the games. And
    > any stand alone patches are going to work and not require the keys either.
    > So, I guess the only thing this effects is pre-steam games that were used
    > for MP or something like that. I'm not really sure what the big deal is
    > other than suddenly having all your games consolidated into one account.
    If
    > you were to try to resell one of the titles for MP play the new owner
    > couldn't use the game (unless you sold the account with it) because he
    > couldn't get on a legal server. Is that about right?

    Why not simply use the Steam emulator? No Steam account to get locked out or
    worry whether you can easily sell the game because you have other Valve
    titles, etc. Just say no to Steam.

    "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> wrote in message

    > "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote in message
    > > So, I read some post saying that when setup a steam account and log on
    > that
    > > it scans your hard drive and finds all steam hosted games (even older
    > > pre-steam games). At that point, Steam adds those games to your account
    > > then makes the keys obsolete. Is this accurate or is this BS?
    > >
    > > Now, the CDs containing the games aren't going to know their keys have
    > been
    > > made obsolete, so of course the keys will still work with the games.
    And
    > > any stand alone patches are going to work and not require the keys
    either.
    > > So, I guess the only thing this effects is pre-steam games that were
    used
    > > for MP or something like that. I'm not really sure what the big deal is
    > > other than suddenly having all your games consolidated into one account.
    > If
    > > you were to try to resell one of the titles for MP play the new owner
    > > couldn't use the game (unless you sold the account with it) because he
    > > couldn't get on a legal server. Is that about right?
    >
    > Why not simply use the Steam emulator? No Steam account to get locked out
    or
    > worry whether you can easily sell the game because you have other Valve
    > titles, etc. Just say no to Steam.

    Something to think about. I'm no pirate and all I ever use are no-cd
    cracks and I rarely play online with my 56k modem anyway. But... well,
    something to think about.

PC gaming Games Steam Video Games