S.W.A.T. 4 MP Public Open Beta -Limited

http://www.fileplanet.com

S.W.A.T. 4 PUBLIC Open Beta!
Vivendi Universal and FilePlanet bring you the opportunity to play in
the Limited S.W.A.T. 4 OPEN Public Beta! This program is first come,
first served so hurry! Now even non-subscribers can join in the fun.

Turk

Distinguished
May 25, 2003

"Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.fileplanet.com
>
> S.W.A.T. 4 PUBLIC Open Beta!
> Vivendi Universal and FilePlanet bring you the opportunity to play in
> the Limited S.W.A.T. 4 OPEN Public Beta! This program is first come,
> first served so hurry! Now even non-subscribers can join in the fun.

Apparently, it's already over by 11:30pm, since I just got directed to a
site to pre-order it for $49.99. That'll sway my decision at the software
store...

turk

Mean_Chlorine wrote:
> Thusly "One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> Spake Unto
> All:
>
> >> you can't jump.
> >
> >Well, it's a tactical shooter. I can't think of any off the top of
my
> >head that let you jump.
>
> Americas Army: Operations.

Counter Strike: Source.

Blig Merk wrote:

> http://www.fileplanet.com
>
> S.W.A.T. 4 PUBLIC Open Beta!
> Vivendi Universal and FilePlanet bring you the opportunity to play in
> the Limited S.W.A.T. 4 OPEN Public Beta! This program is first come,
> first served so hurry! Now even non-subscribers can join in the fun.

If anyone finds a Bittorrent for it can they post it please.

--

| The New World Order ... Keep You Simple, Stupid.

schrodinger

"Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.fileplanet.com
>
> S.W.A.T. 4 PUBLIC Open Beta!
> Vivendi Universal and FilePlanet bring you the opportunity to play in
> the Limited S.W.A.T. 4 OPEN Public Beta! This program is first come,
> first served so hurry! Now even non-subscribers can join in the fun.

I would say it isn't worth bothering with.

The main annoyances being laggy servers and you can't jump.

Schrodinger wrote:

> you can't jump.

Well, it's a tactical shooter. I can't think of any off the top of my
head that let you jump.

--

| The New World Order ... Keep You Simple, Stupid.

Thusly "One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> Spake Unto
All:

>> you can't jump.
>
>Well, it's a tactical shooter. I can't think of any off the top of my
>head that let you jump.

Americas Army: Operations.

schrodinger

"One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Schrodinger wrote:
>
>> you can't jump.
>
> Well, it's a tactical shooter. I can't think of any off the top of my
> head that let you jump.
>
> --
> |
> | The New World Order ... Keep You Simple, Stupid.

Funnily enough, I'm just playing through Raven Shield and you can't jump in
that. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, however, as there are no places
(so far) where, if you could jump, you could easily get somewhere that you
have to walk around otherwise.

It's a really trivial point in a way, but it totally yanks my chain!

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in

> Funnily enough, I'm just playing through Raven Shield and you can't
> jump in that. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, however, as there
> are no places (so far) where, if you could jump, you could easily get
> somewhere that you have to walk around otherwise.
>
> It's a really trivial point in a way, but it totally yanks my chain!

Well I think it's doctrine for CQC troops and SWAT to not jump. Violates
weapon discipline or something.

--
The Soliphist asks...
What assertion do you make to validate your existence?

cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

> > Americas Army: Operations.
>
> Counter Strike: Source.

CounterStrike is a very, very long way from being a tactical shooter
IMO. I mean things like SWAT3 ... slow, measured, commanding a squad.
Never played AA. Just like prone being useless in Doom III, I don't see
what jumping would add to a game like SWAT.

--

| The New World Order ... Keep You Simple, Stupid.

Thusly "One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> Spake Unto
All:

>> > Americas Army: Operations.
>>
>> Counter Strike: Source.
>
>CounterStrike is a very, very long way from being a tactical shooter
>IMO. I mean things like SWAT3 ... slow, measured, commanding a squad.
>Never played AA. Just like prone being useless in Doom III, I don't see
>what jumping would add to a game like SWAT.

Jumping lets you clear low obstacles or get up on objects. If the maps
don't have low obstacles or climbable objects, then you don't need
jumping.

CS also illustrates the problem with having jumping in multiplayer
tactical shooters - you get bunnyhoppers. Even in AA:O where jumping
isn't as useful for avoiding bullets as in CS you do get the
occasional bunnyhopper.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:11:05 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly "One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> Spake Unto
>All:
>

>>CounterStrike is a very, very long way from being a tactical shooter
>>IMO. I mean things like SWAT3 ... slow, measured, commanding a squad.
>>Never played AA. Just like prone being useless in Doom III, I don't see
>>what jumping would add to a game like SWAT.
>
>Jumping lets you clear low obstacles or get up on objects. If the maps
>don't have low obstacles or climbable objects, then you don't need
>jumping.

The problem with games the implement jumping is that it becomes required
(usually because an amateur mapper puts a place where you need to jump
across or some other obscene map config. )

It's not hard to put a realistic jumping penalty - youy can't fire, and
come full stop when you land (at least with a level-to-level jump.)

On 17 Jan 2005 20:40:13 -0800, "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>http://www.fileplanet.com
>
>S.W.A.T. 4 PUBLIC Open Beta!
>Vivendi Universal and FilePlanet bring you the opportunity to play in
>the Limited S.W.A.T. 4 OPEN Public Beta! This program is first come,
>first served so hurry! Now even non-subscribers can join in the fun.

Spent a couple of hours playing it, there is little there that
appeals to me. The entire two hours were a constant banfest, seeing
an average of one person every two minutes having to be kicked off the
server for any/all of the following.
1) Using taser or pepper spray on friendlies.
2) Rampant tking, usually resulting in a free fire zoneat the spawn as
someone gets stupid, someone retaliates, someone else decides to shoot
the "tker" and ends up shooting someone who was trying to get the drop
on the real problem. Then when respawn happens 15 seconds later
everyone does it again.
3) Shooting to wound team mates.
4) Shooting the protected VIP, immediately losing the scenario for
your team.

The whole VIP mission needs work as well, one team is supposed to
"escort" a VIP to the roof where they can escape, winning the
scenario. The opposing team must capture the VIP and hold him for two
minutes, then they can kill the VIP to win. But what often happens is
that the VIP can just ignore the entire escort part of the program and
run right for the roof, using their pistol and two clips of ammo in an
entirely offensive capacity with a very good chance of success. This
works very well since if the enemy team kills the VIP trying to stop
him, they lose and if they run around holding non lethal weapons all
the time they get slaughtered by SWAT.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 04:14:33 GMT, Johnny Bravo <baawa_knight@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 17 Jan 2005 20:40:13 -0800, "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>http://www.fileplanet.com
>>
>>S.W.A.T. 4 PUBLIC Open Beta!
>>Vivendi Universal and FilePlanet bring you the opportunity to play in
>>the Limited S.W.A.T. 4 OPEN Public Beta! This program is first come,
>>first served so hurry! Now even non-subscribers can join in the fun.
>
> Spent a couple of hours playing it, there is little there that
>appeals to me. The entire two hours were a constant banfest, seeing
>an average of one person every two minutes having to be kicked off the
>server for any/all of the following.
>1) Using taser or pepper spray on friendlies.

I'm really surprised that there isn't any auto-kick feature. At the very
least, it should be equivalent to RTCW:ET, where players get kicked after
doing too much team damage, or after too many complaints. (And to prevent
the player from reconnecting, a temporary ban.)

Based on the contents of the list, it seems that running the server would
be a full-time job. While it is true anyway, there shouldn't be a need to
be plastered on the server because of a missing auto-kick system.

Mean_Chlorine wrote:

> Jumping lets you clear low obstacles or get up on objects. If the maps
> don't have low obstacles or climbable objects, then you don't need
> jumping.

*blink*. Erm, thanks for that.

Next lesson : what walking is for. Do tune in...

:)

Yikes. This is one type of game where teamplay is paramount in
multiplayer, all it needs is one 14-year old TK shithead to ruin it.

--

Thusly Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> Spake Unto All:

>> Jumping lets you clear low obstacles or get up on objects. If the maps
>> don't have low obstacles or climbable objects, then you don't need
>> jumping.
>
>*blink*. Erm, thanks for that.
>
>Next lesson : what walking is for. Do tune in...
>
>:)

Hey, you asked.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:35:53 GMT, "One Punch Mickey"
<fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Yikes. This is one type of game where teamplay is paramount in
>multiplayer, all it needs is one 14-year old TK shithead to ruin it.

Part of the problem is the fact that scores are reported at all.
SWAT isn't about how many bad guys you personally killed, it's about
getting the job done with a minimum of casualties (innocent, SWAT and
bad guy; in that order of course).

If a game really wants to encourage teamwork, they need to get rid
of personal kills and only show total team score; the only solo stats
that should be shown are mistakes (shots and kills on your team or
hostages). Anyone who wants to be Rambo and rack up a high kill score
at the expense of the mission should go play Unreal Tournament.

But they'd rather have a game that appeals to the 14 year old
shitheads rather than mature gamers, because there are a lot more 14
year old shitheads playing these kinds of games and they want to cater
to the larger audience.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft