ice3

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
One of my HD in my RAID strip setup crashed. And hard. I can still acess some section of the discs but with big pain. Any way a full reinstall is necessary with a new disc.

So I'm puzzeled if I should continue with RAID system. Should I take RAID 0, 1 or 1+0? Or just go back to a normal IDE connection.

I have an Iwill KK266-R with IC35040 IBM discs (40Gb). Well one will go to the dump.

This crash showed me that stripping isn't great if one disc has trouble or totally mess up. This crash destroyed approx the whole content of the strips, meaning I lost most of my data. With a more traditional crash I never had so much colateral dammage. So should I go forth or think about a RAID 1+0 setup? 3 new disk to build a RAID 1+0 wiil cost around 300 US$. Hmmmmm...

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
well the biggest problem was that you were using IBM, tsk tsk

if you do like raid performance you need to buy WD or maxtor. also try getdataback. it helped me greatly. it should be able to find the lost data.

<font color=blue><b>Respect this man: <font color=red>Fredi</font color=red>
He is the one who beholds the power to "sig changing"

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
Check out this great link on the different types of RAID, as well as listing pros and cons of each.

<A HREF="http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html" target="_new">RAID.edu</A>

Good Luck!

-Javic