Can't recover WEP Key

havenlax33

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hi, I am in desperate need of help. I recently bought a Linksys E1200 router. During the set-up, while setting security up, we stupidly by-passed right by the WEP key it generated. This then booted us off the connection since we changed it, and since we didn't get the WEP key, we no longer can enter it in and connect to it. We tried entering in the default IP using another connection but it will not work. If anyone can help me find a way to get the WEP key, it will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

havenlax33

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
i have tried that, but since im connected to a phone, and not the router, it won't let me access it. I cannot connect to the new router or else I wouldn't have a problem.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

You could try resetting the router using the recessed button but if the security key isn't printed on a label somewhere, you're stuffed. You'll have to connect a laptop or PC straight to it by ethernet cable.

havenlax33

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
I have tried to reset the router already, but when I do it, nothing happens... Any help there?
and also, I have tried to directly plug in my laptop to the router by ethernet but it still gives me the same thing as before. It connects but no internet access. When i go to troubleshoot it, it tells me to verify security key.

your trying to connect your computer to your phone? then you will need to use a program like FoxFi.
If you are trying to connect your phone to your router, then you have to enter the correct wifi key and can use my instructions from the previous post.

Nothing will seem to happen when you reset but the intenal settings all go West (South in the US, I believe), including any logon details your ISP sets

No Internet access is usually a DNS issue but are you absolutely sure the security key you're using is the right one? When cabled to the router, check the actual key from the settings, using the advice I wrote into the Sticky Post nhasian linked to. Remember, it's case sensitive and if it's a hexadecimal code, it may contain numbers but only zero to 9. Letters are A to F so there's no confusion between 1 and I.