Sign in with
Your question

want to make a battery pack for a mp3 player

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 19, 2003 1:19:41 PM

I have one of those flash disk that plays mp3s. I noticed that when plugged into a usb port even without the battery, it can still play mp3 off of the usb power. Since I seen alot of devices for usb ranging from usb coffee warmer and usb battery charger (yes I seen them in person), I decided to slice open a usb extension cable that came with a flash disk, and I got 4 wires, a red, black, green, and white... I want to know what wire carries the voltage and if I want to make a battery pack what should I connect the battery to? I really dont want to drill holes or whatever in a mp3 player but that AAA battery doesnt last too long and I was thinking if I put like a D battery on it it should last like a month or something. would I need more than 1.5volts from a battery or am I better off having wires going to where the battery contact is and connect a big battery to that??
December 24, 2003 11:54:06 AM

First of all, you can't really know what a wire does just by the color. The color of the wire doesn't influence the current that goes in it. There are some conventions that can help (in your case I would guess red= voltage (maybe 5V), black= signal ground, white=signal, green=general ground), but the only way to be sure is to get a copy of the USB protocol specification and it should be written on there what wire does what. Or you can you a voltmeter to test each wire and find which one is the power.

You should put as many D batteries as they are AAA batteries and you just have to connect them at the same place the AAA batteries are connected.

I would be carefull playing with your mp3 player, in theory what you want to do should work with no problem, but you never know...

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies
!