Micing a drum kit, need advice please

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
August 5, 2004 5:53:23 PM

Hi,
If you had the following mics available : -

Soundelux U195
Josephson C-42 stereo pair
4 SM57's
1 Beta 52

And the following pre amps : -

2 x RNP's (i.e. 4 RNP channels)
4 x M-Audio 1010LT built in mic pre's
6 x Mackie VLZ pro mic pre's

How would you mic up a 5 peice drum kit for a rock/pop style recording ?

My initial idea was : -
Soundelux for front of kit into an RNP channel
Josephson's for OH into 2 RNP channels
The 57's on each drum
The 52 on kick

The snare 57 would use the remaining RNP channel.. but unfortunately
kick and toms would have to use either the Delta 1010LT pres or the
Mackie VLZ pro pres. Oddly I think the Delta 1010LT pres sound better..

The room is not a proper studio room, if that makes any differene. I
could go into detail; its basically a fairly large living room
(carpeted). There is a glass conservatory that leads onto it too. I
will obviously try a number of locations to see where it sounds best.

What kind of things can I do to improve room sound if needed ? I would
of thought it doesn't want to be totally dead. Usually the kit is in a
fully carpeted rehersal room, and I've never liked the sound of it in
there, it always sounds much better in standard room, or even outdoors
on concrete.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know its not pro but I'm just trying
to make the best I can out of what I've got.

Cheers,

Mark.
--

More about : micing drum kit advice

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 5:53:24 PM

If your room is suspect, I don't know what you'll get from the U195
out front.

I'd put kick and sarn through RNPs as well as the overheads. I've
never used the other pres, but I've heard the Mackies distort easily.
I sometimes like distortion on the toms, so I'd go with the Mackie for
toms. I'd still use the mic out front and I'd probabmly compress it
during tracking or mult it and compress one channel with the other a
back up for later. Without listening to the pres, I'd use the one that
hadn't been used so far for variety, but ideally I'd A/B and maybe let
it break up the Mackie pres a bit.

Soloing the distorted tracks can sound really bad. I'm not talking
about a ton either. THey key is making your K/S/OH the main sources in
the mix and then bringing the other tracks up to fill things out. Try
bringing them up until you hear the distortion, cut it back just a
little or until your not sure if you can hear it and then mute those
tracks. Then wen your hear your drum sound totally die, you'll see the
benefit of those tracks.

Mark <m@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<cete4j$35d$1@hercules.btinternet.com>...
> Hi,
> If you had the following mics available : -
>
> Soundelux U195
> Josephson C-42 stereo pair
> 4 SM57's
> 1 Beta 52
>
> And the following pre amps : -
>
> 2 x RNP's (i.e. 4 RNP channels)
> 4 x M-Audio 1010LT built in mic pre's
> 6 x Mackie VLZ pro mic pre's
>
> How would you mic up a 5 peice drum kit for a rock/pop style recording ?
>
> My initial idea was : -
> Soundelux for front of kit into an RNP channel
> Josephson's for OH into 2 RNP channels
> The 57's on each drum
> The 52 on kick
>
> The snare 57 would use the remaining RNP channel.. but unfortunately
> kick and toms would have to use either the Delta 1010LT pres or the
> Mackie VLZ pro pres. Oddly I think the Delta 1010LT pres sound better..
>
> The room is not a proper studio room, if that makes any differene. I
> could go into detail; its basically a fairly large living room
> (carpeted). There is a glass conservatory that leads onto it too. I
> will obviously try a number of locations to see where it sounds best.
>
> What kind of things can I do to improve room sound if needed ? I would
> of thought it doesn't want to be totally dead. Usually the kit is in a
> fully carpeted rehersal room, and I've never liked the sound of it in
> there, it always sounds much better in standard room, or even outdoors
> on concrete.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated. I know its not pro but I'm just trying
> to make the best I can out of what I've got.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark.
August 5, 2004 9:29:48 PM

C-42 pair through RNPs for overheads (coincident pair)
U195 through RNC on the floor tom
B52 thtough RNC on kicl
SM57s through Mackie on toms and snare (snare will likely be used very
little)

Might reverse the U195 and B25 positions and see which works best

Might also use a 57 on the floor and put the U195 on the hat

"Mark" <m@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> If you had the following mics available : -
>
> Soundelux U195
> Josephson C-42 stereo pair
> 4 SM57's
> 1 Beta 52
>
> And the following pre amps : -
>
> 2 x RNP's (i.e. 4 RNP channels)
> 4 x M-Audio 1010LT built in mic pre's
> 6 x Mackie VLZ pro mic pre's
>
> How would you mic up a 5 peice drum kit for a rock/pop style recording ?
>
> My initial idea was : -
> Soundelux for front of kit into an RNP channel
> Josephson's for OH into 2 RNP channels
> The 57's on each drum
> The 52 on kick
>
> The snare 57 would use the remaining RNP channel.. but unfortunately
> kick and toms would have to use either the Delta 1010LT pres or the
> Mackie VLZ pro pres. Oddly I think the Delta 1010LT pres sound better..
>
> The room is not a proper studio room, if that makes any differene. I
> could go into detail; its basically a fairly large living room
> (carpeted). There is a glass conservatory that leads onto it too. I
> will obviously try a number of locations to see where it sounds best.
>
> What kind of things can I do to improve room sound if needed ? I would
> of thought it doesn't want to be totally dead. Usually the kit is in a
> fully carpeted rehersal room, and I've never liked the sound of it in
> there, it always sounds much better in standard room, or even outdoors
> on concrete.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated. I know its not pro but I'm just trying
> to make the best I can out of what I've got.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark.
August 6, 2004 3:12:04 AM

"Mark" <m@nospam.net> a écrit dans le message de
> Hi,
> If you had the following mics available : -
>
> Soundelux U195
> Josephson C-42 stereo pair
> 4 SM57's
> 1 Beta 52
>
> And the following pre amps : -
>
> 2 x RNP's (i.e. 4 RNP channels)
> 4 x M-Audio 1010LT built in mic pre's
> 6 x Mackie VLZ pro mic pre's
>
> How would you mic up a 5 peice drum kit for a rock/pop style recording ?
>
> My initial idea was : -
> Soundelux for front of kit into an RNP channel
> Josephson's for OH into 2 RNP channels
> The 57's on each drum
> The 52 on kick
>
> The snare 57 would use the remaining RNP channel.. but unfortunately
> kick and toms would have to use either the Delta 1010LT pres or the
> Mackie VLZ pro pres. Oddly I think the Delta 1010LT pres sound better..
>
> The room is not a proper studio room, if that makes any differene. I
> could go into detail; its basically a fairly large living room
> (carpeted). There is a glass conservatory that leads onto it too. I
> will obviously try a number of locations to see where it sounds best.
>
> What kind of things can I do to improve room sound if needed ? I would
> of thought it doesn't want to be totally dead. Usually the kit is in a
> fully carpeted rehersal room, and I've never liked the sound of it in
> there, it always sounds much better in standard room, or even outdoors
> on concrete.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated. I know its not pro but I'm just trying
> to make the best I can out of what I've got.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark.
> --

Take all the time needed to get the really best sound of the kit with only
the overheads, then bring the close mics.

There were interestings comments about drum miking in Electronic Musicien, a
couple months ago, in an interview with Frank Filipetti...
never bad to listen to mens with a background like that!

You can also make a "search" , there are hundreds of drum miking suggestions
on the net.
Take a look at Shure, they have a good selection of PDF documents about
recording sound and live sound.( many mics manufacturer also include a kind
of "how to" in their web site.)

Hope this helps :)

Andre
!