Sign in with
Your question

BOOTMGR IS MISSING, recovery disc not working

Last response: in Windows 7
April 21, 2012 7:25:52 PM

Hello,
New to the forums, kind of a novice with computers and I'm at a loss with what to do.

Okay so my Acer Aspire 7551 running Windows 7 Premium Home 64bit was acting funny so I decided to do a system restore. So I put in the Acer Recovery Discs that I made when I first purchased the computer. Now I have used this discs before with no problems at all. So I put the first disc in, selected the option to do a complete system restore back to factory defaults. It's my understanding that this completely wipes the OS off the HDD. So the first disc ran with no problems. I put the second disc in and got an error message:

Fail to copy to HDD:
D:\Patch\Modules\WIncre.002\WOP000460OX0TCB111.SWM
Press OK to continue

I press OK to continue, and it boots back to the BIOS screen. Then it goes to a black screen and says BOOTMGR IS MISSING. PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO CONTINUE.

So I put the recovery disc back in to try the process over again and same thing happens.

Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.
a b $ Windows 7
April 21, 2012 7:43:26 PM

Is the second disc dirty or scratched?
m
l
April 21, 2012 7:54:24 PM

That's what I thought at first. I cleaned the second disc thoroughly. The only blemish I noticed on the disc was a very small scratch. I don't think it's enough to cause an error.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 21, 2012 8:34:32 PM

lpgnra7x said:
That's what I thought at first. I cleaned the second disc thoroughly. The only blemish I noticed on the disc was a very small scratch. I don't think it's enough to cause an error.

Hi :) 

Having used thousands of recovery discs in my shops...ANYTHING can cause an error...even a fingerprint....or even because its a monday lol...

Use the built in recovery ??

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
April 21, 2012 8:37:38 PM

I went on Acer's website and they are selling the eRecovery discs for my computer for 20 bucks. I'd hate to spend money if I don't have to but if the scratch on the disc is causing the issue I don't have any other choice right? And also I'm not sure about the built in recovery. Because I've already wiped the HDD it should be gone right? The only options I have on the BIOS screen are the F2 for the boot menu.
m
l
April 21, 2012 9:53:44 PM

Also not sure if this helps or not, but I put the troublesome disc into another computer and was able to view all of the files on the disc so as far as I can tell everything seems to be fine with the disc.
m
l
April 22, 2012 3:57:48 PM

Why not do a clean install of Windows 7? Did you back up your important files?
If you wiped the hard drive...you could try a boot loader like Easy BCD to try and boot the operating system from your hard drive...what I do if I make a clone of my OS on another drive. Easy BCD is freeware.
m
l
April 22, 2012 4:31:24 PM

If you know a friend that has a Windows 7 Home Premium install disk (store bought disk, OEM, or Upgrade) you can use that to install Win7 using your CD-key on that computer. Although it would be a very clean install with no drivers although you might have networking depending on how old the machine is. But it looks like you have a working machine so you could download the drivers off the working machine and move them to your computer using the thumb drive. Otherwise you are left with the $20 option..

BTW when you said same thing happens was it the same file every time?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 22, 2012 6:06:08 PM

If the first recovery disk is bootable and contains the recovery program, boot on it, and try that way. Not that I think that this will solve this particular problem, it's just something different to try.
m
l
April 22, 2012 6:16:07 PM

caqde said:
If you know a friend that has a Windows 7 Home Premium install disk (store bought disk, OEM, or Upgrade) you can use that to install Win7 using your CD-key on that computer.

+1
m
l
June 18, 2012 5:43:18 PM

My friends Acer laptop had the BOOTMGR is missing error...if you hold down ALT & F10 after powering up the computer you can get to a recovery screen and reset it to factory settings...easy as 1-2-3! :) 
m
l
!