BOOTMGR IS MISSING, recovery disc not working

lpgnra7x

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hello,
New to the forums, kind of a novice with computers and I'm at a loss with what to do.

Okay so my Acer Aspire 7551 running Windows 7 Premium Home 64bit was acting funny so I decided to do a system restore. So I put in the Acer Recovery Discs that I made when I first purchased the computer. Now I have used this discs before with no problems at all. So I put the first disc in, selected the option to do a complete system restore back to factory defaults. It's my understanding that this completely wipes the OS off the HDD. So the first disc ran with no problems. I put the second disc in and got an error message:

Fail to copy to HDD:
D:\Patch\Modules\WIncre.002\WOP000460OX0TCB111.SWM
Press OK to continue

I press OK to continue, and it boots back to the BIOS screen. Then it goes to a black screen and says BOOTMGR IS MISSING. PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO CONTINUE.

So I put the recovery disc back in to try the process over again and same thing happens.

Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

lpgnra7x

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
That's what I thought at first. I cleaned the second disc thoroughly. The only blemish I noticed on the disc was a very small scratch. I don't think it's enough to cause an error.

Hi :)

Having used thousands of recovery discs in my shops...ANYTHING can cause an error...even a fingerprint....or even because its a monday lol...

Use the built in recovery ??

All the best Brett :)

lpgnra7x

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I went on Acer's website and they are selling the eRecovery discs for my computer for 20 bucks. I'd hate to spend money if I don't have to but if the scratch on the disc is causing the issue I don't have any other choice right? And also I'm not sure about the built in recovery. Because I've already wiped the HDD it should be gone right? The only options I have on the BIOS screen are the F2 for the boot menu.

lpgnra7x

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Also not sure if this helps or not, but I put the troublesome disc into another computer and was able to view all of the files on the disc so as far as I can tell everything seems to be fine with the disc.

2wheelfan

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Why not do a clean install of Windows 7? Did you back up your important files?
If you wiped the hard drive...you could try a boot loader like Easy BCD to try and boot the operating system from your hard drive...what I do if I make a clone of my OS on another drive. Easy BCD is freeware.

caqde

Distinguished
If you know a friend that has a Windows 7 Home Premium install disk (store bought disk, OEM, or Upgrade) you can use that to install Win7 using your CD-key on that computer. Although it would be a very clean install with no drivers although you might have networking depending on how old the machine is. But it looks like you have a working machine so you could download the drivers off the working machine and move them to your computer using the thumb drive. Otherwise you are left with the $20 option..

BTW when you said same thing happens was it the same file every time?

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
If the first recovery disk is bootable and contains the recovery program, boot on it, and try that way. Not that I think that this will solve this particular problem, it's just something different to try.

AngieNavyWife

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
My friends Acer laptop had the BOOTMGR is missing error...if you hold down ALT & F10 after powering up the computer you can get to a recovery screen and reset it to factory settings...easy as 1-2-3! :)

shapsugh

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
After Microsoft announcement for win 10 and sharing it for free I thought I might turn back my original win 7, so I wanted to recover my computer by using three of my recovery disks and by doing so I had the problem you faced "Failed to copy HDD". (My laptop is Acer Aspire ...)

My solution to this issue is that first you need another bootable disk or usb just to delete all part of your hard drive. Be careful that you must not create any new partition (C: D: ). If you create a new partition it assigns approximately 100 Mb for recovery and when you attempt to use your recovery disks after, it only sees the recovery part which is not enough for your three recovery disks approximately 10 GB.

This is not an issue of scratched dvd or disordered HDD. I hope I gave a clear explanation for the issue as I am not native.

funkmaster223

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

funkmaster223

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
I have the exact same computer. And low and behold my disks are stopping at the exact same spot! It's driving me crazy! Did you ever find a solution? If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you share with me. Thank you Sir.