Hard Drive and CD Writer

DaveP57

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
I have a question concerning the state of a Hard Drive when burning a CD-R Backup. Will burning files from a fragmented hard drive have any effect on the quality of the finished CD Backup? I usually run Scandisk and Disk Defragmenter every 3 or 4 days; should I do a backup from a hard drive that hasn't been Scandisked/defragged recently? It seems to me that whenever I burn a CD, it fragments my hard drive considerably, so burning 2 or more disks consecutively is probably playing havoc with the condition of the drive; for instance: when I defragment my computer and haven't burned any CD's lately, it usually only takes about 45 minutes to complete, but if I defrag after burning CD-R backups, it usually takes my machine in the vicinity of two hours to complete the defrag. Whats the preferred option to prevent this; Disk at once or Track at once writing options? (Nero Burning Rom) Any thoughts on the matter? Thanks for your help!

I would reccomend you go to www.goldenbow.com and download and try a 30 day free trial of the Vopt defrag program for your particular operating system. If you think about the fact that the Windows defrag tool was actually originally designed about 7 years ago, theres no doubt that you can get old waiting for it to defrag the new hardrives out today. I,m running Win98SE and using VoptXP, best money you'll spend and won't regret it after the 30 day trial it costs $40.00 US to register it, I promise you if you try it you will buy it. The program also has other optimizing features onboard, for hardrive, system, network, gives you control over every hardrive in your system, and allows you to access your Windows tools such as ScanDisk through the Vopt program. This program is extremely fast, it takes a little time on the initial install, because it completely reorganizes your hardrive, you can set a fixed swap file and optimize that also. Best software money I've spent since Nortons Ghost.

You never know what you can do until you try.

DaveP57

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
Thanks ejsmith2! Shouldn't frag the drive much? I'm still learning the software (Nero Burning ROM), perhaps one of the options I'm choosing is causing the fragmentation. For instance, when copying a CD, you have the option to "Cache files to disk" before burning; copying the files to your hard drive, then burning from those files instead of "on the fly" burning, copying directly from the CD, which I guess would cause a bit of fragmentation. But when creating an ISO CD Backup, two of the options are "Disk At Once" and "Track At Once" writing. I'm still experimenting :tongue: . Thanks for your help.

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
it is generally if not always better to cache to HDD rather than cd to cd cuts down on errors and reduces the chance of buffer under runs .. disk at once is usually prefered to track at once also for performance and reliability

<font color=blue><b> May the good lord bless ya' and blow you up <i>real</i> good </font color=blue></b>

DaveP57

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
Thanks, Lagger! I'm starting to get the hang of it, just takes time. All in all, though, I'm really pleased with the results I'm getting, just trying to figure out all the options, and what's going on with my hard drive. But back to my main question: Does it matter if you burn a disk from a fragmented Drive, or should you Scandisk/Defrag before each burning session? Thanks for you help, everyone!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
unless your HDD is low on room and badly fragged in addition it shouldn't matter noticably the file will be fully defragmented on the target disk too as part of the bhurning process

<font color=blue><b> May the good lord bless ya' and blow you up <i>real</i> good </font color=blue></b>