EA just killed MoH: Pacific Assault = DEAD. Killed by EA

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:52:50 GMT, "boomer" <boom6spam@msn.com> wrote:

>EA just killed MoH: Pacific Assault = DEAD
>
>http://www.forumplanet.com/planetmedalofhonor/topic.asp?fid=4441&tid=1584359
>
>http://www.mohadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21756#post21756

Thank god.. I'm not sure I could stomach another WWII game. I'm so
sick of War games. Bring back the Sci-Fi I say!!

Pluvious

> Thank god.. I'm not sure I could stomach another WWII game. I'm so
> sick of War games. Bring back the Sci-Fi I say!!

Agreed (if you're sincere). Looking forward to BioShock and Pariah.

- f_f

its a long way off but I see that the spielberg version of war of the worlds
coming to theaters this summer will have a game according to gamespot.

something about alien invasion themed games I really like. most games feature
the invasion happening on some remote island or spacestation.

I would like to see a huge FPS within citys and towns on earth.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

"KIRBY325" <kirby325@aol.com> wrote in message
> its a long way off but I see that the spielberg version of war of the
> worlds
> coming to theaters this summer will have a game according to gamespot.
>
> something about alien invasion themed games I really like. most games
> feature
> the invasion happening on some remote island or spacestation.
>
> I would like to see a huge FPS within citys and towns on earth.

Like Half-Life 2 ? Go buy it. It's great!

DaveL

shawk

Pluvious wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:52:50 GMT, "boomer" <boom6spam@msn.com> wrote:
>

>>EA just killed MoH: Pacific Assault = DEAD
>>
>>http://www.forumplanet.com/planetmedalofhonor/topic.asp?fid=4441&tid=1584359
>>
>>http://www.mohadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21756#post21756
>>

> Thank god.. I'm not sure I could stomach another WWII game. I'm so
> sick of War games. Bring back the Sci-Fi I say!!
>
> Pluvious

Totally agree..... erm.... as soon as I've seen/played Brothers in Arms
and maybe the upcoming COD mod Operation Market Garden of course....

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Bass

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:44:03 +0000, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:

>Totally agree..... erm.... as soon as I've seen/played Brothers in Arms
>and maybe the upcoming COD mod Operation Market Garden of course....

Yea, BiA looks like a must have from everything I've read. COD didn't
do much for me though, too much on rails.

"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:52:50 GMT, "boomer" <boom6spam@msn.com> wrote:
>
> >EA just killed MoH: Pacific Assault = DEAD
> >

>http://www.forumplanet.com/planetmedalofhonor/topic.asp?fid=4441&tid=158435
9

> >http://www.mohadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21756#post21756
> >

> Thank god.. I'm not sure I could stomach another WWII game. I'm so
> sick of War games. Bring back the Sci-Fi I say!!
>
> Pluvious

Sci-Fi? That's been done so many times that it's done. Burnt. Cooked.
Rehashed. And fried some more.

Doom 1, 2, 3
AvP 1, 2
Halo
Star Wars series (too many titles to name)
Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
Quake 1, 2
System Shock 1 & 2
Half Life 1 & 2
Duke Nukem
GunMetal
Recoil
Red Faction
Serious Sam 1 & 2nd Encounter

There's more I'm sure; this is just a few that I could think of off the top
of my head. Maybe another genre that's hasn't been over used would be
better?

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 05:35:55 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
wrote:

>There's more I'm sure; this is just a few that I could think of off the top
>of my head. Maybe another genre that's hasn't been over used would be
>better?

I would guess that he means semi-realistic sci-fi. Things like
'opening a portal to hell' don't really qualify as sci-fi just because
its set in the future. Some of the titles you listed sorta qualify
(depending on how realistic you want it), but overall, the realistic
sci-fi genre isn't particularly well-represented (in games OR in
movies.)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, "DaveL" wrote:

> Like Half-Life 2 ? Go buy it. It's great!

don't try and fool another gamer! cause we know the merchandise is rotten!
let him choose from a game which will not take away his own freedom!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, "DaveL" wrote:
>
>> Like Half-Life 2 ? Go buy it. It's great!
>
> don't try and fool another gamer! cause we know the merchandise is rotten!
> let him choose from a game which will not take away his own freedom!

It could possibly be the best computer game ever made. The only freedom it
attempts to limit is the ability to pirate the game. Sorry if that bothers
you. It does not bother me cause I'm not a software pirate and never once
regretted spending $50 on this game. Steam does have many benefits like
automatic updates and it did replace the problematic Won system. In the
beginning I did not jump on the Steam bandwagon. But after using it, I like
it.

DaveL

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

wrote:

>"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:52:50 GMT, "boomer" <boom6spam@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> >EA just killed MoH: Pacific Assault = DEAD
>> >

>>http://www.forumplanet.com/planetmedalofhonor/topic.asp?fid=4441&tid=158435
>9
>> >
>> >http://www.mohadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21756#post21756
>> >

>> Thank god.. I'm not sure I could stomach another WWII game. I'm so
>> sick of War games. Bring back the Sci-Fi I say!!
>>
>> Pluvious
>>

>Sci-Fi? That's been done so many times that it's done. Burnt. Cooked.
>Rehashed. And fried some more.
>
>Doom 1, 2, 3
>AvP 1, 2
>Halo
>Star Wars series (too many titles to name)
>Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
>Quake 1, 2
>System Shock 1 & 2
>Half Life 1 & 2
>Duke Nukem
>GunMetal
>Recoil
>Red Faction
>Serious Sam 1 & 2nd Encounter
>
>There's more I'm sure; this is just a few that I could think of off the top
>of my head. Maybe another genre that's hasn't been over used would be
>better?

I mean stuff like System Shock, BioForge (Origin) , Omikron, Halo 1/2
, Advent Rising(?) and even Scrapland. Stuff of that nature. I'm just
sick of military FPS overall I guess. Been there done that.. too much.

Pluvious

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 05:35:55 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote:

>"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:52:50 GMT, "boomer" <boom6spam@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> >EA just killed MoH: Pacific Assault = DEAD
>> >

>>http://www.forumplanet.com/planetmedalofhonor/topic.asp?fid=4441&tid=158435
>9
>> >
>> >http://www.mohadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21756#post21756
>> >

>> Thank god.. I'm not sure I could stomach another WWII game. I'm so
>> sick of War games. Bring back the Sci-Fi I say!!
>>
>> Pluvious
>>

>Sci-Fi? That's been done so many times that it's done. Burnt. Cooked.
>Rehashed. And fried some more.
>
>Quake 1, 2

Quake 1 isn't really as Sci-Fi. While it does have a Sci-Fi pretense, the
actual game itself is based around modern as opposed to futuristic
weaponry. The exception is the Lightning Gun, but that's about it really.

It, along with a few other games listed, qualify as Sci-Fa (Science
Fantasy).

>There's more I'm sure; this is just a few that I could think of off the top
>of my head. Maybe another genre that's hasn't been over used would be
>better?

In a way, aren't all setting genres a bit overused?

Any well designed setting won't look bad. The Descent series (excluding
The Mercury Mission in Descent 3) and Red Faction both have a good enough
Sci-Fi setting that you won't worry about the genre being overused. On the
other hand, Crime Cities tends to look quite silly as it looks like the
developers were desperatly trying to make their setting look unique.

KIRBY325 wrote:
> its a long way off but I see that the spielberg version of war of the worlds
> coming to theaters this summer will have a game according to gamespot.
>
> something about alien invasion themed games I really like. most games feature
> the invasion happening on some remote island or spacestation.
>
> I would like to see a huge FPS within citys and towns on earth.

With Zombies? Someone already designed that one for us : cheddar I think
it was. The idea was that you'd "shoot zombies and stuff". Sounds great.

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 05:35:55 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote:

<snip>
> In a way, aren't all setting genres a bit overused?
>
> Any well designed setting won't look bad. The Descent series (excluding
> The Mercury Mission in Descent 3) and Red Faction both have a good enough
> Sci-Fi setting that you won't worry about the genre being overused. On
the
> other hand, Crime Cities tends to look quite silly as it looks like the
> developers were desperatly trying to make their setting look unique.

Well it's been awhile since a good Western shooter has been done (Outlaws by
LucasArts).

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:50:46 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
wrote:

>Well it's been awhile since a good Western shooter has been done (Outlaws by
>LucasArts).

Westerns are definitely an under-used genre for gaming. I think
there's quite a few things that could be done there that would make a
fun and interesting game.

shawk

Bass wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:44:03 +0000, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
> wrote:
>

>>Totally agree..... erm.... as soon as I've seen/played Brothers in Arms
>>and maybe the upcoming COD mod Operation Market Garden of course....
>

> Yea, BiA looks like a must have from everything I've read. COD didn't
> do much for me though, too much on rails.

I liked COD but CODUO was too short and never really drew me in. Market
Garden is a mod that I think really has potential.

--

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 05:35:55 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
<snip>

> I mean stuff like System Shock, BioForge (Origin) , Omikron, Halo 1/2
> , Advent Rising(?) and even Scrapland. Stuff of that nature. I'm just
> sick of military FPS overall I guess. Been there done that.. too much.
>
> Pluvious

I can see where some folks are sick of WWII shooters .... and Sci-Fi ones
too. ;)

>>Well it's been awhile since a good Western shooter has been done (Outlaws
>>by
>>LucasArts).
>
> Westerns are definitely an under-used genre for gaming. I think
> there's quite a few things that could be done there that would make a
> fun and interesting game.

Dead Man's Hand was released in 2004. Probably in a few bargain bins by now.

- f_f

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, drocket wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:50:46 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Well it's been awhile since a good Western shooter has been done (Outlaws by
> >LucasArts).
>
> Westerns are definitely an under-used genre for gaming. I think
> there's quite a few things that could be done there that would make a
> fun and interesting game.

Another completely underused genre seems to be Kung-Fu, as seen in movies
like "Hero" or "House of the flying daggers". Especially using a kind of
bullettime, this could be cool.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, DaveL wrote:

> It could possibly be the best computer game ever made.

Hype, hype, hype. Did you play HL1? The one with the different weapons and
lots of enemy attacks? Is anyone here looking beyond cool physics in HL2?

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:14:31 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, drocket wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:50:46 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Well it's been awhile since a good Western shooter has been done (Outlaws by
>> >LucasArts).
>>
>> Westerns are definitely an under-used genre for gaming. I think
>> there's quite a few things that could be done there that would make a
>> fun and interesting game.
>
>Another completely underused genre seems to be Kung-Fu, as seen in movies
>like "Hero" or "House of the flying daggers". Especially using a kind of
>bullettime, this could be cool.

There are several mods for Max Payne that give you kung fu Matrix-style
fight moves...in glorious bullet-time :)

--
Alfie
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>