Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

My CD 1 of bf 1942 has a huge crack in it so I went online and downloaded
the CD again is that wrong? I am using my old CDkey I only downloaded it to
so I could be able to install it again (since i bought both mission packs).

Anthony

anthony wrote:
> My CD 1 of bf 1942 has a huge crack in it so I went online and downloaded
> the CD again is that wrong? I am using my old CDkey I only downloaded it to
> so I could be able to install it again (since i bought both mission packs).
>

> Anthony

In Canadian Supreme Court they ruled that what you have done is fine
since you own a legitimate license to the game. The source that is
hosting the file is acting illegally since they don't have permission to
distribute working copies of the software to others. I'm assuming
courts elsewhere would rule in the same manner: You're fine.

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net

Bass

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:40:55 -0600, "anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net>
wrote:

>My CD 1 of bf 1942 has a huge crack in it so I went online and downloaded
>the CD again is that wrong? I am using my old CDkey I only downloaded it to
>so I could be able to install it again (since i bought both mission packs).
>

>Anthony

EA will replace defective media. I personally see nothing wrong with
what you did but EA would.

wrote:

>My CD 1 of bf 1942 has a huge crack in it so I went online and downloaded
>the CD again is that wrong?

No. The legitimate CD-key is your authentication. You are permitted to
have a physical backup copy. OTOH, if you are uncomfortable with
that, you can pick up a brand-new copy of BF1942 with a new
authentication key for $19.99 or less. EBX, on-line etc....

John Lewis

John Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:40:55 -0600, "anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >My CD 1 of bf 1942 has a huge crack in it so I went online and
downloaded
> >the CD again is that wrong?
>
> No. The legitimate CD-key is your authentication. You are permitted
> have a physical backup copy. OTOH, if you are uncomfortable with
> that, you can pick up a brand-new copy of BF1942 with a new
> authentication key for $19.99 or less. EBX, on-line etc....
>
> John Lewis

He wouldn't have run into this problem if the game had of been
available through the wonderful steam delivery system.

On 21 Jan 2005, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

> He wouldn't have run into this problem if the game had of been
> available through the wonderful steam delivery system.

NO THANKS!!!!!
that's like the devil talking... "with me you will be safe, so come on"
no! we are not that stupid! we don't need SOMEONE to take care of our own
problems! WE ARE MEN ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OFF OURSELVES!!!!
and btw the original poster has his problems fixes without needing to give
away his own FREEDOM which is what you steam lover bunch do every day!!!!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
> John Lewis wrote:
>
>>have a physical backup copy. OTOH, if you are uncomfortable with
>>that, you can pick up a brand-new copy of BF1942 with a new
>>authentication key for $19.99 or less. EBX, on-line etc....
>>
>>John Lewis
>

> He wouldn't have run into this problem if the game had of been
> available through the wonderful steam delivery system.

LOL

On 21 Jan 2005 21:09:15 -0800, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:40:55 -0600, "anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >My CD 1 of bf 1942 has a huge crack in it so I went online and
>downloaded
>> >the CD again is that wrong?
>>
>> No. The legitimate CD-key is your authentication. You are permitted
>> have a physical backup copy. OTOH, if you are uncomfortable with
>> that, you can pick up a brand-new copy of BF1942 with a new
>> authentication key for $19.99 or less. EBX, on-line etc....
>>
>> John Lewis
>
>He wouldn't have run into this problem if the game had of been
>available through the wonderful steam delivery system.

BF 1942 is almost 3 years old. Let's see whether Valve still exists
in 3 years.......

John Lewis

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Damn derek smart

John Lewis wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2005 21:09:15 -0800, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>

> >John Lewis wrote:

> >downloaded
> >>
> >> No. The legitimate CD-key is your authentication. You are
permitted
> >> have a physical backup copy. OTOH, if you are uncomfortable with
> >> that, you can pick up a brand-new copy of BF1942 with a new
> >> authentication key for $19.99 or less. EBX, on-line etc....
> >>
> >> John Lewis
> >
> >He wouldn't have run into this problem if the game had of been
> >available through the wonderful steam delivery system.
> >

> BF 1942 is almost 3 years old. Let's see whether Valve still exists
> in 3 years.......
>
> John Lewis

Valve won't be disappearing anytime soon, they have just produced
another genre transcending masterpiece.

John Lewis wrote:

> So did Looking Glass.
> HL2 has not sold anywhere near as well as expected......and
> there is a very large investment to recoup - including the
development
> and support costs for Steam.
>
> John Lewis

Do you have figures to back up that claim?

Shawk wrote:
> John Lewis wrote:
>
> > HL2 has not sold anywhere near as well as expected......
>
> Be interested to know where you got that information from John.
>
> --
> "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
> conscientious stupidity."
>
> Martin Luther King, Jr.

In any case current sales figures don't mean too much.

In a recent interview Gabe Newell stated that the original Half-Life
sold more copies in the third year than it did in the first.

In article <1106529678.951849.100260@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
cr0n1k@hotmail.com says...

> In any case current sales figures don't mean too much.
>
> In a recent interview Gabe Newell stated that the original Half-Life
> sold more copies in the third year than it did in the first.

At the original release price point?

MRSisson
--
LOAD "GPL",8

SEARCHING FOR GPL
READY.
RUN

On 23 Jan 2005 14:27:23 -0800, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:

>> >downloaded

>permitted

>> >He wouldn't have run into this problem if the game had of been
>> >available through the wonderful steam delivery system.
>> >

>> BF 1942 is almost 3 years old. Let's see whether Valve still exists
>> in 3 years.......
>>
>> John Lewis
>
>Valve won't be disappearing anytime soon, they have just produced
>another genre transcending masterpiece.

So did Looking Glass.
HL2 has not sold anywhere near as well as expected......and
there is a very large investment to recoup - including the development
and support costs for Steam.

John Lewis

shawk

cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

> In any case current sales figures don't mean too much.
>
> In a recent interview Gabe Newell stated that the original Half-Life
> sold more copies in the third year than it did in the first.

Wasn't aware there had been any sales figures released?

--

On 23 Jan 2005, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

> In a recent interview Gabe Newell stated that the original Half-Life
> sold more copies in the third year than it did in the first.

with hl2 it will be the other way around...
valve cheated millions of gamers around the world by not informing the
true nature of steam in hl2, but now WE ALL KNOW THE TRUTH and hl2 sales
will drop, drop, drop and hopefully reaching the ground and spreading
steam remains all over valve dirty face (what a nasty scene)

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

On 23 Jan 2005, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

> Valve won't be disappearing anytime soon, they have just produced
> another genre transcending masterpiece.

you know what would be transcending?
would be you getting FREE from your miserabily submissive atitude toward
a publisher only cause thet made a game you think its bigger than life!
simply pathetic!
so try YOURSELF to "transcend" and stop being brainwashed by a simple game!

--

On 23 Jan 2005 16:53:30 -0800, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>
>> So did Looking Glass.
>> HL2 has not sold anywhere near as well as expected......and
>> there is a very large investment to recoup - including the
>development
>> and support costs for Steam.
>>
>> John Lewis
>
>Do you have figures to back up that claim?

I have some relative figures from 3 local dealers. HL2 sales total
at present are about 1/3 that of WoW -- still a very "hot" sale, BTW.
HL2 was released 1 week before WoW.

Anyway, HL2 is now being flogged retail generally at $39.99 for
the "Bronze" version and the (yuk!) Collector's (Gold) for $59.99.

Of course, you are welcome to share Mitty's bed of nails and
order them over Steam for $49.95 and $89.95.

John Lewis

John Lewis

Bass

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004

On 23 Jan 2005 17:21:18 -0800, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

>In a recent interview Gabe Newell stated that the original Half-Life
>sold more copies in the third year than it did in the first.

That's because in the 3rd year it was selling in the bargain bins for
cheap.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:30:32 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>On 23 Jan 2005 14:27:23 -0800, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>>John Lewis wrote:

>>permitted

>>> BF 1942 is almost 3 years old. Let's see whether Valve still exists
>>> in 3 years.......
>>>
>>> John Lewis
>>
>>Valve won't be disappearing anytime soon, they have just produced
>>another genre transcending masterpiece.
>>

>So did Looking Glass.
>HL2 has not sold anywhere near as well as expected......and
>there is a very large investment to recoup - including the development
>and support costs for Steam.
>
>John Lewis

i expect Valve to be bought out by Microsoft very soon - steam would
be the perfect delivery platform for XBox 2.

ubertoadie

John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:

> I have some relative figures from 3 local dealers.

john lewis walks into his local games store.

john lewis: hey bruce, how's hl2 selling?
bruce: kinda slow, not as well as WoW.
john lewis: as i suspected. valve will be out of business in a year.
bruce: um, yeah.
john lewis: so uh, wanna come back to my place?
bruce: ... yeah, alright.

Bass wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2005 17:21:18 -0800, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>

> >In a recent interview Gabe Newell stated that the original Half-Life
> >sold more copies in the third year than it did in the first.
>
> That's because in the 3rd year it was selling in the bargain bins for
> cheap.

No it wasn't actually, it was still selling well above bargain bin
prices in 2000.

John Lewis wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2005 16:53:30 -0800, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>>John Lewis wrote:
>>

>>>So did Looking Glass.
>>>HL2 has not sold anywhere near as well as expected......and
>>>there is a very large investment to recoup - including the
>>
>>development
>>
>>>and support costs for Steam.
>>>
>>>John Lewis
>>
>>Do you have figures to back up that claim?
>>

> I have some relative figures from 3 local dealers.

I *knew* you were on crack? How much for a gram? Or do you pimp out for
a special deal?

cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
> No it wasn't actually, it was still selling well above bargain bin
> prices in 2000.

Can't comment on the price, but it was still a good investment because
you got more thannjust the game in the box - you got all the mods that
the fans built. OK, some were rubbish (did anyone "play" The Day the
Army Came to the Office"?), but there were some excellent ones too,
both single-player and multi-player.

Consequently, HL had an (unprecedented ?) long life. The fact that it
was a bloody good game helped too.