modem problem

DrChaos

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
Last week, I removed my US Robotics 56K modem (three years old?) from my old motherboard (ABIT BH6).

When I tried to hook the modem up to a PCI slot in my new motherboard (ASUS P4S533), I noticed that the PCI connection on the modem did not have a groove that would allow it to connect to the motherboard. Even if the modem could fit in the PCI slot on the motherboard, it wouldn't reach the outside of the case.

The ABIT board had two connectors below the PCI slots that the modem may have been connected to (I can't remember which slot I removed the modem from) but it didn't seem to fit there either.

Please help me figure out how I can connect the modem to either motherboard (preferably the ASUS). If the modem is not compatable with the ASUS, please recommend a cheap modem that I can use with Winfax Pro (I have a cable modem but need a regular modem for faxes only).

Thanks.

DrChaos

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
The ABIT board has two ISA slots. When I tried to line up the modem with the ISA slots, I might have been too careful not to force it. It would seem that I need to find a modem with a PCI connector.

Can anyone recommed a cheap reliable modem to use only for Winfax Pro?

Thanks again.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Best PCI modem for the money is the Lucent (now called Agere) 1646T00 chip modem. These things have great connections, and have such low overhead, I've been able to use them on 486's (the last 486 boards had PCI). There were various drivers for them, I picked the best one I could find and stuck with it. These modems cost between $10 and $15

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS