Half-Life2: Safe to uninstall?

After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
space available.

However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
re-install it later.

MCheu
46 answers Last reply
More about half life2 safe uninstall

    MCheu wrote:
    > After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
    > space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
    > nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
    > play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
    > space available.
    >
    > However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
    > myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
    > re-install it later.

    > MCheu

    I uninstalled Steam and HL2 and reinstalled it with out any problems.

    "MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
    > space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
    > nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
    > play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
    > space available.
    >
    > However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
    > myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
    > re-install it later.

    > MCheu

    I uninstalled and re-installed Steam and HL2 without a hitch.

    Peter

    "MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
    > space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
    > nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
    > play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
    > space available.
    >
    > However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
    > myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
    > re-install it later.

    > MCheu]

    Make a backup of HL2. Just open steam, click "Play Games", right click on
    Half-Life 2 and select "Backup". It will automatically chop it into CD or
    DVD size chunks for backup. Then when done, right click on game again and
    select "Remove local game content". Then if you want to play again, just
    restore your backup (double click on it, as it is self installing if you
    have Steam on your PC) and then it may download the latest updates, then
    you're good to go. Quicker than downloading the whole thing again IMHO.

    FYI: I restored from scratch from my retail CD after wiping directory
    clean. It took me just shy of an hour of online time (56k) to download and
    unlock whatever files were needed by HL2 and Steam to get the game going.
    Because I already had an account (from the first time I installed) I didn't
    need to create one and that saved a little time.

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:11:53 -0500, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:

    >FYI: I restored from scratch from my retail CD after wiping directory
    >clean. It took me just shy of an hour of online time (56k) to download and
    >unlock whatever files were needed by HL2 and Steam to get the game going.
    >Because I already had an account (from the first time I installed) I didn't
    >need to create one and that saved a little time.

    An hour to get a game going that you bought retail? Effing
    unbelievable. HL2 to me is like buying a virus - no thanks.

    MCheu wrote:
    > After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
    > space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
    > nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
    > play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
    > space available.
    >
    > However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
    > myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
    > re-install it later.

    > MCheu

    Do you have a broadband connection? If so the easiest thing to do is go
    to 'play games' in Steam, right-click on the game you want to uninstall
    and choose 'delete local game content'.

    You can leave Steam as it is - doesn't take up much space. When you
    next want to install it just let it d-load through Steam (hence the BB
    question).

    Do the same for all Steam games. Shaun

    --
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity."

    Martin Luther King, Jr.

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:57:52 -0500, MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
    >space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
    >nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
    >play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
    >space available.
    >
    >However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
    >myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
    >re-install it later.

    >MCheu

    After you uninstall it all.. check your registry for lots of steam
    keys and such.

    Pluvious

    HockeyTownUSA wrote:
    > "MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
    >>space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
    >>nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
    >>play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
    >>space available.
    >>
    >>However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
    >>myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
    >>re-install it later.
    >>
    >>---------------------------------------------
    >>
    >>MCheu]
    >

    > Make a backup of HL2. Just open steam, click "Play Games", right click on
    > Half-Life 2 and select "Backup". It will automatically chop it into CD or
    > DVD size chunks for backup. Then when done, right click on game again and
    > select "Remove local game content". Then if you want to play again, just
    > restore your backup (double click on it, as it is self installing if you
    > have Steam on your PC) and then it may download the latest updates, then
    > you're good to go. Quicker than downloading the whole thing again IMHO.

    Nice one Hockey. Have the DVD version here so forgot all about the
    backup option.

    --
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity."

    Martin Luther King, Jr.

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:48:54 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
    <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >MCheu wrote:
    >> After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
    >> space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
    >> nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
    >> play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
    >> space available.
    >>
    >> However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
    >> myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
    >> re-install it later.

    >> MCheu
    >
    >I uninstalled Steam and HL2 and reinstalled it with out any problems.

    Thanks. What version? Most of the replies seem to have dealt with
    the online purchase of the game. Mine is the retail CD version
    (didn't even know they sold it on DVD).

    MCheu

    "Bass" <fish@no.email> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:11:53 -0500, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:
    >
    > >FYI: I restored from scratch from my retail CD after wiping directory
    > >clean. It took me just shy of an hour of online time (56k) to download
    and
    > >unlock whatever files were needed by HL2 and Steam to get the game going.
    > >Because I already had an account (from the first time I installed) I
    didn't
    > >need to create one and that saved a little time.
    >
    > An hour to get a game going that you bought retail? Effing
    > unbelievable. HL2 to me is like buying a virus - no thanks.

    That's not counting the actual install from CD. The first time I installed
    was release day so it actually took considerably longer because steam was
    backed up and due to other non-steam problems I had. (I ranted about this
    in this group some time ago). This time through, it went pretty smooth, but
    yes, I think an hour is ridiculous. Maybe I'll try to backup the game on
    media so I won't have to wait the extra hour next time I want to reinstall.

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, MCheu wrote:

    > However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
    > myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
    > re-install it later.

    with hl2 you don't control the installation process, valve does
    let me repeat cause its important
    its valve who controls the installation process, you only watch
    so in theory this can happen:
    .. you uninstall today
    .. tomorrow valve closes
    .. you will never be able to play hl2 again
    just think about it

    ps: i didn't even talk about backups so i wouldn't make you more
    depressed and worried as you already are

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Shawk wrote:

    > Do the same for all Steam games. Shaun

    you pay 50 bucks for a game and you don't keep anything...
    no backups... nothing...
    you just RELY on valve...
    basically you RELY on valve when it comes to installing and playing games
    and how about also RELYING valve with your own computer? give them your
    passwords and full access to your computer, this way anything about your
    own computer you will ALSO RELY ON VALVE!

    this submissive attitude valve gamers have is absolutely sickening!

    --

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, "Hank the Rapper" wrote:

    > I uninstalled Steam and HL2 and reinstalled it with out any problems.

    so mr "no problem" hank spoke! unfortunately he didn't read the question

    the guy doesn't own the dvd version you have! we bought via steam! so his
    question is related to not having a BACKUP copy of hl2!!!!

    ok we all know you are totally mesmerized with valve but next time try to
    not make it so obvious, your servanty is extremely embarrassing!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:06:46 +0000, difool
    <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, "Hank the Rapper" wrote:
    >
    >> I uninstalled Steam and HL2 and reinstalled it with out any problems.
    >
    >so mr "no problem" hank spoke! unfortunately he didn't read the question
    >
    >the guy doesn't own the dvd version you have! we bought via steam! so his
    >question is related to not having a BACKUP copy of hl2!!!!
    >
    >ok we all know you are totally mesmerized with valve but next time try to
    >not make it so obvious, your servanty is extremely embarrassing!

    Um... No. I bought the retail version. I never said anything about
    buying it via Steam, though I guess I should have specified.

    It seems that guys like me that bought from the store bore the brunt
    of the Steam hiccups early on -- the pre-installs and Steam installs
    were a bit smoother. My concern was that some people were saying that
    the authentication features of steam might prevent people from
    re-installing the game later, regardless of which version you have.
    Is that still an issue with the game?

    MCheu

    MCheu wrote:

    >> the guy doesn't own the dvd version you have! we bought via steam!
    >> so his question is related to not having a BACKUP copy of hl2!!!!

    > Um... No. I bought the retail version. I never said anything about
    > buying it via Steam, though I guess I should have specified.

    ROFL difool is really losing it.

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, "HockeyTownUSA" wrote:

    > Make a backup of HL2. Just open steam, click "Play Games", right click on
    > Half-Life 2 and select "Backup". It will automatically chop it into CD or
    > DVD size chunks for backup. Then when done, right click on game again and

    how do you know if he has a DVD RECORDABLE DRIVER?
    how do you know if he's whiling to WASTE EVEN MORE MONEY in buying a dvd
    recordable and dvd blank media with an already very expensive game?
    how do you know if he has the TIME to burn a dvd backup of a game which
    should had been already distributed in a physical medium version
    how do you know if he's whiling to take the chance of burning a home made
    backup and finding out later that its FAULTY!

    --

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Shawk wrote:

    > Nice one Hockey. Have the DVD version here so forgot all about the
    > backup option.

    we notice... you steam lovers bunch FORGET A LOT OF THINGS!
    it must be playing hl2 too much give you guys memory problems
    or probably is just you relying too much on your precious steam, you
    think it will fix any problem in your life!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Bass wrote:

    > An hour to get a game going that you bought retail? Effing
    > unbelievable. HL2 to me is like buying a virus - no thanks.

    isn't it completely unbelievable!!! how can someone accept it! its insane!!
    and this is one month after hl2 was released... just wait 6 more months and
    instead of having to be online ONE hour you will have to be online ONE day!
    cause for now on new patches will get even bigger and bigger and bigger!!!
    its really so sad... seeing how evil valve is HUMILIATING so many gamers
    sad! sad! sad! really so sad!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Bass wrote:
    >
    > > An hour to get a game going that you bought retail? Effing
    > > unbelievable. HL2 to me is like buying a virus - no thanks.
    >
    > isn't it completely unbelievable!!! how can someone accept it! its
    insane!!
    > and this is one month after hl2 was released... just wait 6 more months
    and
    > instead of having to be online ONE hour you will have to be online ONE
    day!

    During the 1960's in the US, the government, feeling threatened by the
    counter culture tried to crack down on drug use, specifically marijuana.
    (see "reefer madness") They lauched an add campaign showing (among other
    things) that people who smoked pot would actualy go insane. Well, what
    happened of course is that people smoked weed anyway (for whatever reason)
    and surprise surprise, they didn't go insane. Even though long term studies
    show that chronic marijuana use can be detrimental, and even though there is
    a moderate element of psychological addiction and other short term
    detrimental effects, this information was never conveyed because the
    governement was over-the-top in their anti-drug message and so lost all
    credibility.

    > cause for now on new patches will get even bigger and bigger and bigger!!!
    > its really so sad... seeing how evil valve is HUMILIATING so many gamers
    > sad! sad! sad! really so sad!
    >
    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam
    >
    > please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
    >> space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
    >> nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
    >> play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
    >> space available.
    >>
    >> However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
    >> myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
    >> re-install it later.

    >> MCheu]
    >
    > Make a backup of HL2. Just open steam, click "Play Games", right click on
    > Half-Life 2 and select "Backup". It will automatically chop it into CD or
    > DVD size chunks for backup. Then when done, right click on game again and
    > select "Remove local game content". Then if you want to play again, just
    > restore your backup (double click on it, as it is self installing if you
    > have Steam on your PC) and then it may download the latest updates, then
    > you're good to go. Quicker than downloading the whole thing again IMHO.

    I have tried this and restoring from the backup failed. I tried several
    times and each time it asked for the next disc even though I backed up to a
    DVD. Fortunately I made another backup by just compressing the files with
    WinRAR to one big file on a DVD and this worked fine.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    MCheu wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:06:46 +0000, difool
    > <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
    >

    >>On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, "Hank the Rapper" wrote:
    >>

    >>>I uninstalled Steam and HL2 and reinstalled it with out any problems.
    >>
    >>so mr "no problem" hank spoke! unfortunately he didn't read the question
    >>
    >>the guy doesn't own the dvd version you have! we bought via steam! so his
    >>question is related to not having a BACKUP copy of hl2!!!!
    >>
    >>ok we all know you are totally mesmerized with valve but next time try to
    >>not make it so obvious, your servanty is extremely embarrassing!
    >

    > Um... No. I bought the retail version. I never said anything about
    > buying it via Steam, though I guess I should have specified.
    >
    > It seems that guys like me that bought from the store bore the brunt
    > of the Steam hiccups early on -- the pre-installs and Steam installs
    > were a bit smoother. My concern was that some people were saying that
    > the authentication features of steam might prevent people from
    > re-installing the game later, regardless of which version you have.
    > Is that still an issue with the game?

    > MCheu

    Hiya, I see you met difool. I cant see his posts anymore as they have
    become less amusing and more cringeworthy. Guy really needs medication.

    I haven't uninstalled/re-installed completely but I guess that if you
    did that then you would need to verify again. Best bet is to either do
    what I suggested above (if you have broadband) or backup the game first.
    Re-installing from a backup would then include the verification files
    and you wont have to do it again.

    Just FYI the DVD version was released in Europe AFAIK and I haven't
    heard of many folk that have had an issue with that version (except for
    not liking Steam of course)

    Shaun

    --
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity."

    Martin Luther King, Jr.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    difool wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, MCheu wrote:
    >
    >> However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
    >> myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
    >> re-install it later.
    >
    > with hl2 you don't control the installation process, valve does
    > let me repeat cause its important
    > its valve who controls the installation process, you only watch
    > so in theory this can happen:
    > . you uninstall today
    > . tomorrow valve closes
    > . you will never be able to play hl2 again
    > just think about it
    >
    > ps: i didn't even talk about backups so i wouldn't make you more
    > depressed and worried as you already are

    yawn

    --

    You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    MCheu wrote:
    > of the Steam hiccups early on -- the pre-installs and Steam installs
    > My concern was that some people were saying that
    > the authentication features of steam might prevent people from
    > re-installing the game later, regardless of which version you have.
    > Is that still an issue with the game?

    No : and it never was.

    --
    Walter Mitty
    -

    MCheu wrote:

    > Thanks. What version? Most of the replies seem to have dealt with
    > the online purchase of the game. Mine is the retail CD version
    > (didn't even know they sold it on DVD).

    The DVD version only came on the rip-off Collectors Edition. I have the DVD
    version. The install was faster the second time because the game's
    information was already saved to my steam account.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    JoeSmooth wrote:

    > During the 1960's in the US, the government, feeling threatened by the
    > counter culture tried to crack down on drug use, specifically
    > marijuana. (see "reefer madness") They lauched an add campaign
    > showing (among other things) that people who smoked pot would actualy
    > go insane. Well, what happened of course is that people smoked weed
    > anyway (for whatever reason) and surprise surprise, they didn't go
    > insane. Even though long term studies show that chronic marijuana
    > use can be detrimental, and even though there is a moderate element
    > of psychological addiction and other short term detrimental effects,
    > this information was never conveyed because the governement was
    > over-the-top in their anti-drug message and so lost all credibility.

    You know an analogy like this will fly over difool's head.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Stoned Monkey wrote:

    >snipped<

    Lol. See what you mean. The guy can't be for real. Got to be trolling
    in which case he's brilliant to have got away with it so long.
    Otherwise....some village is missing it's idiot.

    --
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity."

    Martin Luther King, Jr.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Hank the Rapper wrote:
    > MCheu wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. What version? Most of the replies seem to have dealt with
    >> the online purchase of the game. Mine is the retail CD version
    >> (didn't even know they sold it on DVD).
    >
    > The DVD version only came on the rip-off Collectors Edition. I have
    > the DVD version. The install was faster the second time because the
    > game's information was already saved to my steam account.

    i've got the dvd version and not the collectors edition

    --

    You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, "JoeSmooth" wrote:

    you're comparison is great!
    steam = drugs
    valve = drug dealer
    valve gamers = drug addicts
    myself = telling how BAD drugs are!

    yeah! it feels really good being CLEAN!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, "JoeSmooth" wrote:
    >
    > you're comparison is great!
    > steam = drugs
    > valve = drug dealer
    > valve gamers = drug addicts
    > myself = telling how BAD drugs are!
    >
    > yeah! it feels really good being CLEAN!

    You forgot the part about Steam making you insane if you use it, but there's
    always tomorrow. :)

    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam
    >
    > please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, MCheu wrote:

    > Um... No. I bought the retail version. I never said anything about
    > buying it via Steam, though I guess I should have specified.

    ok, so you bought what they call "retail version" cause in reality
    there's no "retail version" for hl2... that's another of valve's lies
    the thing sold in stores should be renamed to:
    "steam for gamers without broadband"
    or
    "any gamer which doesn't want to download 4GB"

    > It seems that guys like me that bought from the store bore the brunt
    > of the Steam hiccups early on -- the pre-installs and Steam installs
    > were a bit smoother. My concern was that some people were saying that

    no... don't be fool with that... that's what valve want you to believe
    they want everyone to buy via steam, cause via steam they don't need
    to share profits with sierra
    buying via steam or buying in your retail store is the same cause you
    will always have steam to deal with
    no matter what version you buy, if it has STEAM you will always be screwed

    > the authentication features of steam might prevent people from
    > re-installing the game later, regardless of which version you have.
    > Is that still an issue with the game?

    yes it is a VERY BIG ISSUE and it will always be with steam based games
    you can only install a steam based game with valve's permission
    any time you make a fresh install in a steam based game you need to ask
    valve for permission
    you will always be dependant on valve to install a steam based game
    they control, they have the power, you cannot do nothing, you are just a
    puppet at their hands

    and this only happen with steam based games
    all other NORMAL pc games don't have this intrusive and abusive system

    so simply say NO to steam!
    don't ever buy another game with steam!
    don't let them make you their slave!
    fight for your freedom!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, "JoeSmooth" wrote:

    > You forgot the part about Steam making you insane if you use it, but
    > there's always tomorrow. :)

    do you need to say that?
    do you need to say the devil is evil?
    fortunately i had a good education and since my early childhood my
    parents said to me DRUGS are extremely BAD
    probably i presumed wrongly, but i thought everyone in this newsgroup
    knows how evil, how damaging, how bad "drugs" are... sorry "steam" is

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, "JoeSmooth" wrote:
    >
    > > You forgot the part about Steam making you insane if you use it, but
    > > there's always tomorrow. :)
    >
    > do you need to say that?
    > do you need to say the devil is evil?

    I've never met the devil, but I'm not really sure why he gets such a bad
    rap. Biblically speaking I can't really remember what evil he was credited
    for, except for maybe to Job as a test. God, on the other hand, did all
    kinds of evil barbarbic genecidal "evil" stuff. So, I guess it all depends
    on your point of view on who's evil and who's not, but there's nothing about
    the devil that's obviously evil to me (relative to the goodness of god).

    > fortunately i had a good education and since my early childhood my
    > parents said to me DRUGS are extremely BAD
    > probably i presumed wrongly, but i thought everyone in this newsgroup
    > knows how evil, how damaging, how bad "drugs" are... sorry "steam" is

    I don't think drugs are "evil" or that they are "bad", and they aren't
    necessarily damaging (relatively speaking). It depends on how they are used
    and to what extreme, including illegal drugs and drugs used for only for
    recreational use. It's people who decide what is "evil" and "good". That's
    why some people here like steam and others do not. You believe drugs are
    bad because you were told to believe they were and you accepted it to the
    point that you don't question it, not unlike your perception that the devil
    is evil.

    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam
    >
    > please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
    > http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    JoeSmooth wrote:
    > "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, "JoeSmooth" wrote:
    >>

    >>>You forgot the part about Steam making you insane if you use it, but
    >>>there's always tomorrow. :)
    >>
    >>do you need to say that?
    >>do you need to say the devil is evil?
    >

    > I've never met the devil, but I'm not really sure why he gets such a bad
    > rap. Biblically speaking I can't really remember what evil he was credited
    > for, except for maybe to Job as a test. God, on the other hand, did all
    > kinds of evil barbarbic genecidal "evil" stuff. So, I guess it all depends
    > on your point of view on who's evil and who's not, but there's nothing about
    > the devil that's obviously evil to me (relative to the goodness of god).

    And let;s not forget the fact that accounts of the Devil, and his
    infamy, tend to come from God-apologists and propagandists. Not exactly
    fulfilling of an "equal time" provisio.

    I suggest reading Mark twain's _Letters from the Earth_, or Harlan
    Ellison's "The Deathbird," for a corrective.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Brian Siano" <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message
    > JoeSmooth wrote:
    > > "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message

    > >>do you need to say that?
    > >>do you need to say the devil is evil?
    > >

    > > I've never met the devil, but I'm not really sure why he gets such a bad
    > > rap. Biblically speaking I can't really remember what evil he was
    credited
    > > for, except for maybe to Job as a test. God, on the other hand, did all
    > > kinds of evil barbarbic genecidal "evil" stuff. So, I guess it all
    depends
    > > on your point of view on who's evil and who's not, but there's nothing
    about
    > > the devil that's obviously evil to me (relative to the goodness of god).
    >
    > And let;s not forget the fact that accounts of the Devil, and his
    > infamy, tend to come from God-apologists and propagandists. Not exactly
    > fulfilling of an "equal time" provisio.
    >
    > I suggest reading Mark twain's _Letters from the Earth_, or Harlan
    > Ellison's "The Deathbird," for a corrective.

    I've read the former, but my point is that even in the context of just the
    bible, the devil isn't actually fingered for the source of wrong doing very
    often and God, just by doing what he does, comes off as a bit wicked at
    times. So even without equal time, the evil/good judgments are hard to
    support.
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:44:15 -0500, MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Um... No. I bought the retail version. I never said anything about
    >buying it via Steam, though I guess I should have specified.
    >
    >It seems that guys like me that bought from the store bore the brunt
    >of the Steam hiccups early on -- the pre-installs and Steam installs
    >were a bit smoother. My concern was that some people were saying that
    >the authentication features of steam might prevent people from
    >re-installing the game later, regardless of which version you have.
    >Is that still an issue with the game?

    Make a backup if you can. Right click on game in the Steam menu and
    then select 'backup'. You 'll have a faster reinstall, since the files
    on the retail CD-ROM won't have to be unlocked on the subsequent
    reinstallation.

    And in anycase, you won't have to do reauthentication, since Steam can
    always associate your account with HL2. In fact, you can lose your
    game CDs now and it'd still not affect your ability to reinstall the
    game on yours or someone else's PC.
    --
    Noman
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:28:29 GMT, ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com (noman)
    wrote:

    >Make a backup if you can. Right click on game in the Steam menu and
    >then select 'backup'. You 'll have a faster reinstall, since the files
    >on the retail CD-ROM won't have to be unlocked on the subsequent
    >reinstallation.

    That reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask for a few days.
    Has anyone successfully reinstalled the game from a backup? I've seen
    messages from several people who have tried and failed, but I've yet
    to see a message from someone who was successful. Just curious.

    Crash7
    remove x's from address to email
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, "JoeSmooth" wrote:
    >
    > > You forgot the part about Steam making you insane if you use it, but
    > > there's always tomorrow. :)
    >
    > do you need to say that?
    > do you need to say the devil is evil?
    > fortunately i had a good education and since my early childhood my
    > parents said to me DRUGS are extremely BAD
    > probably i presumed wrongly, but i thought everyone in this newsgroup
    > knows how evil, how damaging, how bad "drugs" are... sorry "steam" is

    It's not quite as black and white as you like to make it out to be. For
    example, some gamers out there that don't have a CD drive, they can now use
    Steam to play. Some gamers have a hard time finding and installing patches
    for games (OldDog raises his paw), and now Steam easily provides updates.

    Oh, as for drugs being extremely BAD, I have to stop now and take some
    Nexium for my acid reflux. Plus I have to take some other drugs for the
    bone spurs in my feet.

    We live in such a gray world.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    <snip>
    >some gamers out there that don't have a CD drive, they can now use
    >Steam to play.

    are you kidding me? how the hell have they been installing other PC
    games??.. i think i missed the 70 floppy disc version of 'Half-Life'
    and god, it must have all day to install 'Morrowind'!.. CD-Rom's have
    been standard equipment on PC's for at least 10yrs now.. knob-end

    ubertoadie
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

    > It's not quite as black and white as you like to make it out to be. For
    > example, some gamers out there that don't have a CD drive, they can now use
    > Steam to play. Some gamers have a hard time finding and installing patches

    i call wally a provoker but you also do a great job!
    only if you are extremely ignorant... let me repeat... extremely ignorant
    will you ever state a pc doesn't need a cd drive
    if you don't know i'll tell you... cd drive is a essential part of a pc
    and you know why? cause any operating system has to be installed via cd
    so there is no pc without a cd drive being it also dvd reader or a one
    which is recordable... but any pc has to have a drive which reads cds

    i've been exchanging posts with you for some time, and i've been asking you
    too be reasonable, i ask you again hoping you we continue exchanging posts
    please be reasonable when following up

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
    > and you know why? cause any operating system has to be installed via cd
    > so there is no pc without a cd drive being it also dvd reader or a one
    > which is recordable... but any pc has to have a drive which reads cds

    Bzzzt! Wrong. Entirely possible to install operating systems via LAN
    connections, even from USB key drives. And DVD players ha ha.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, "One Punch Mickey" wrote:

    > Bzzzt! Wrong. Entirely possible to install operating systems via LAN
    > connections, even from USB key drives. And DVD players ha ha.

    mickey please give us a break!
    i already told you we don't use our boss equipment for personal benefit!
    he fires us if we did!
    we are simple pc gamers!
    no pc gamer installs his operating system via lan! its simply a proceeder
    done in companies with lots of computers

    as for usb key drive you must be kidding me!
    first i'm not sure if you can transfer the boot image of an modern os
    like win2k or winxp to a usb key drive, but even so the mb must support
    it and not all do, and last you need a 1gb drive which is not cheap and
    again mickey we don't use our boss equipment for personal benefit!

    mickey and you please read the full post... i said a drive to read cds!
    every dvd drive reads cds! a cd drive reader or a dvd drive reader do
    exactly the same when it comes to cds! so please mickey once again give
    us a break! please!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
    >
    > > It's not quite as black and white as you like to make it out to be.
    For
    > > example, some gamers out there that don't have a CD drive, they can now
    use
    > > Steam to play. Some gamers have a hard time finding and installing
    patches

    > i call wally a provoker but you also do a great job!
    > only if you are extremely ignorant... let me repeat... extremely ignorant
    > will you ever state a pc doesn't need a cd drive
    > if you don't know i'll tell you... cd drive is a essential part of a pc
    > and you know why? cause any operating system has to be installed via cd
    > so there is no pc without a cd drive being it also dvd reader or a one
    > which is recordable... but any pc has to have a drive which reads cds
    >
    > i've been exchanging posts with you for some time, and i've been asking
    you
    > too be reasonable, i ask you again hoping you we continue exchanging posts
    > please be reasonable when following up

    I just checked with my cousin. She's running Windows 3.1 with no CD drive.
    I've got another friend running a computer using DOS 5 with no CD drive.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:38:10 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
    wrote:

    >"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
    >>
    >> > It's not quite as black and white as you like to make it out to be.
    >For
    >> > example, some gamers out there that don't have a CD drive, they can now
    >use
    >> > Steam to play. Some gamers have a hard time finding and installing
    >patches
    >>
    >> i call wally a provoker but you also do a great job!
    >> only if you are extremely ignorant... let me repeat... extremely ignorant
    >> will you ever state a pc doesn't need a cd drive
    >> if you don't know i'll tell you... cd drive is a essential part of a pc
    >> and you know why? cause any operating system has to be installed via cd
    >> so there is no pc without a cd drive being it also dvd reader or a one
    >> which is recordable... but any pc has to have a drive which reads cds
    >>
    >> i've been exchanging posts with you for some time, and i've been asking
    >you
    >> too be reasonable, i ask you again hoping you we continue exchanging posts
    >> please be reasonable when following up
    >>

    >I just checked with my cousin. She's running Windows 3.1 with no CD drive.
    >I've got another friend running a computer using DOS 5 with no CD drive.

    didn't those OS's though, ship on floppy? and hence no need for CD
    drive..

    ubertoadie
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

    > I just checked with my cousin. She's running Windows 3.1 with no CD drive.
    > I've got another friend running a computer using DOS 5 with no CD drive.

    now i'm sure you're mocking me, and let me tell you i don't like it at all!
    we are in a group talking about current pc games but if your stuborness and
    stupidity makes you write this garbage (now what you wrote is GARBAGE) then
    please remain quiet and don't waste valuable bandwidth!

    ps: one you said your family has abit tired of you and i now realize why

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    Against Steam Campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > On Sat, 05 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
    >
    > > I just checked with my cousin. She's running Windows 3.1 with no CD
    drive.
    > > I've got another friend running a computer using DOS 5 with no CD drive.
    >
    > now i'm sure you're mocking me, and let me tell you i don't like it at
    all!
    > we are in a group talking about current pc games but if your stuborness
    and
    > stupidity makes you write this garbage (now what you wrote is GARBAGE)
    then
    > please remain quiet and don't waste valuable bandwidth!
    >
    > ps: one you said your family has abit tired of you and i now realize why

    The name of this forum is IBM PC GAMES ACTION. Not ibm CURRENT pc games
    action. Just because you ignore those that don't have a fast pc, or run
    WinXP, or don't have a CD drive ...

    ps What took you so long. ;)
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > mickey please give us a break!
    > i already told you we don't use our boss equipment for personal benefit!
    > he fires us if we did!

    You didn't say anything about the circumstances that you might be installing
    in, you just made a blanket statement that it was impossible.

    > as for usb key drive you must be kidding me!

    Nope, there are Linux distros that you can install onto key drives and boot
    from, then install onto the HDD.

    > first i'm not sure if you can transfer the boot image of an modern os
    > like win2k or winxp to a usb key drive, but even so the mb must support
    > it and not all do, and last you need a 1gb drive

    I've got a Linux one on a 256MB key drive.

    > mickey and you please read the full post... i said a drive to read cds!
    > every dvd drive reads cds!

    I know, I was being sarcastic.

PC gaming Games Video Games