Half-Life2: Safe to uninstall?

Last response: in Video Games
January 21, 2005 8:57:52 PM

After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
space available.

However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
re-install it later.

MCheu
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 8:57:53 PM

MCheu wrote:
> After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
> space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
> nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
> play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
> space available.
>
> However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
> myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
> re-install it later.

> MCheu

I uninstalled Steam and HL2 and reinstalled it with out any problems.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 10:33:23 PM

"MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
> space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
> nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
> play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
> space available.
>
> However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
> myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
> re-install it later.

> MCheu

I uninstalled and re-installed Steam and HL2 without a hitch.

Peter
January 21, 2005 11:22:41 PM

"MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
> space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
> nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
> play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
> space available.
>
> However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
> myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
> re-install it later.

> MCheu]

Make a backup of HL2. Just open steam, click "Play Games", right click on
Half-Life 2 and select "Backup". It will automatically chop it into CD or
DVD size chunks for backup. Then when done, right click on game again and
select "Remove local game content". Then if you want to play again, just
restore your backup (double click on it, as it is self installing if you
have Steam on your PC) and then it may download the latest updates, then
you're good to go. Quicker than downloading the whole thing again IMHO.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:11:53 AM

FYI: I restored from scratch from my retail CD after wiping directory
clean. It took me just shy of an hour of online time (56k) to download and
unlock whatever files were needed by HL2 and Steam to get the game going.
Because I already had an account (from the first time I installed) I didn't
need to create one and that saved a little time.

"MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
> space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
> nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
> play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
> space available.
>
> However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
> myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
> re-install it later.

> MCheu
January 22, 2005 1:11:54 AM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:11:53 -0500, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:

>FYI: I restored from scratch from my retail CD after wiping directory
>clean. It took me just shy of an hour of online time (56k) to download and
>unlock whatever files were needed by HL2 and Steam to get the game going.
>Because I already had an account (from the first time I installed) I didn't
>need to create one and that saved a little time.

An hour to get a game going that you bought retail? Effing
unbelievable. HL2 to me is like buying a virus - no thanks.
January 22, 2005 2:40:19 AM

MCheu wrote:
> After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
> space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
> nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
> play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
> space available.
>
> However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
> myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
> re-install it later.

> MCheu

Do you have a broadband connection? If so the easiest thing to do is go
to 'play games' in Steam, right-click on the game you want to uninstall
and choose 'delete local game content'.

You can leave Steam as it is - doesn't take up much space. When you
next want to install it just let it d-load through Steam (hence the BB
question).

Do the same for all Steam games. Shaun

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
January 22, 2005 2:59:31 AM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:57:52 -0500, MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote:

>After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
>space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
>nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
>play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
>space available.
>
>However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
>myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
>re-install it later.

>MCheu

After you uninstall it all.. check your registry for lots of steam
keys and such.

Pluvious
January 22, 2005 5:42:40 AM

HockeyTownUSA wrote:
> "MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
>>space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
>>nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
>>play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
>>space available.
>>
>>However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
>>myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
>>re-install it later.
>>
>>---------------------------------------------
>>
>>MCheu]
>

> Make a backup of HL2. Just open steam, click "Play Games", right click on
> Half-Life 2 and select "Backup". It will automatically chop it into CD or
> DVD size chunks for backup. Then when done, right click on game again and
> select "Remove local game content". Then if you want to play again, just
> restore your backup (double click on it, as it is self installing if you
> have Steam on your PC) and then it may download the latest updates, then
> you're good to go. Quicker than downloading the whole thing again IMHO.

Nice one Hockey. Have the DVD version here so forgot all about the
backup option.

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:23:11 PM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 16:48:54 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>MCheu wrote:
>> After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
>> space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
>> nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
>> play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
>> space available.
>>
>> However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
>> myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
>> re-install it later.

>> MCheu
>
>I uninstalled Steam and HL2 and reinstalled it with out any problems.

Thanks. What version? Most of the replies seem to have dealt with
the online purchase of the game. Mine is the retail CD version
(didn't even know they sold it on DVD).

MCheu
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:02:24 PM

"Bass" <fish@no.email> wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:11:53 -0500, "JoeSmooth" <f@ke.70053> wrote:
>
> >FYI: I restored from scratch from my retail CD after wiping directory
> >clean. It took me just shy of an hour of online time (56k) to download
and
> >unlock whatever files were needed by HL2 and Steam to get the game going.
> >Because I already had an account (from the first time I installed) I
didn't
> >need to create one and that saved a little time.
>
> An hour to get a game going that you bought retail? Effing
> unbelievable. HL2 to me is like buying a virus - no thanks.

That's not counting the actual install from CD. The first time I installed
was release day so it actually took considerably longer because steam was
backed up and due to other non-steam problems I had. (I ranted about this
in this group some time ago). This time through, it went pretty smooth, but
yes, I think an hour is ridiculous. Maybe I'll try to backup the game on
media so I won't have to wait the extra hour next time I want to reinstall.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:05:56 PM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, MCheu wrote:

> However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
> myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
> re-install it later.

with hl2 you don't control the installation process, valve does
let me repeat cause its important
its valve who controls the installation process, you only watch
so in theory this can happen:
.. you uninstall today
.. tomorrow valve closes
.. you will never be able to play hl2 again
just think about it

ps: i didn't even talk about backups so i wouldn't make you more
depressed and worried as you already are

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 22, 2005 1:06:21 PM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Shawk wrote:

> Do the same for all Steam games. Shaun

you pay 50 bucks for a game and you don't keep anything...
no backups... nothing...
you just RELY on valve...
basically you RELY on valve when it comes to installing and playing games
and how about also RELYING valve with your own computer? give them your
passwords and full access to your computer, this way anything about your
own computer you will ALSO RELY ON VALVE!

this submissive attitude valve gamers have is absolutely sickening!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 22, 2005 1:06:46 PM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, "Hank the Rapper" wrote:

> I uninstalled Steam and HL2 and reinstalled it with out any problems.

so mr "no problem" hank spoke! unfortunately he didn't read the question

the guy doesn't own the dvd version you have! we bought via steam! so his
question is related to not having a BACKUP copy of hl2!!!!

ok we all know you are totally mesmerized with valve but next time try to
not make it so obvious, your servanty is extremely embarrassing!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 22, 2005 1:06:47 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:06:46 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, "Hank the Rapper" wrote:
>
>> I uninstalled Steam and HL2 and reinstalled it with out any problems.
>
>so mr "no problem" hank spoke! unfortunately he didn't read the question
>
>the guy doesn't own the dvd version you have! we bought via steam! so his
>question is related to not having a BACKUP copy of hl2!!!!
>
>ok we all know you are totally mesmerized with valve but next time try to
>not make it so obvious, your servanty is extremely embarrassing!

Um... No. I bought the retail version. I never said anything about
buying it via Steam, though I guess I should have specified.

It seems that guys like me that bought from the store bore the brunt
of the Steam hiccups early on -- the pre-installs and Steam installs
were a bit smoother. My concern was that some people were saying that
the authentication features of steam might prevent people from
re-installing the game later, regardless of which version you have.
Is that still an issue with the game?

MCheu
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:06:48 PM

MCheu wrote:

>> the guy doesn't own the dvd version you have! we bought via steam!
>> so his question is related to not having a BACKUP copy of hl2!!!!

> Um... No. I bought the retail version. I never said anything about
> buying it via Steam, though I guess I should have specified.

ROFL difool is really losing it.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:06:56 PM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, "HockeyTownUSA" wrote:

> Make a backup of HL2. Just open steam, click "Play Games", right click on
> Half-Life 2 and select "Backup". It will automatically chop it into CD or
> DVD size chunks for backup. Then when done, right click on game again and

how do you know if he has a DVD RECORDABLE DRIVER?
how do you know if he's whiling to WASTE EVEN MORE MONEY in buying a dvd
recordable and dvd blank media with an already very expensive game?
how do you know if he has the TIME to burn a dvd backup of a game which
should had been already distributed in a physical medium version
how do you know if he's whiling to take the chance of burning a home made
backup and finding out later that its FAULTY!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 22, 2005 1:07:12 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Shawk wrote:

> Nice one Hockey. Have the DVD version here so forgot all about the
> backup option.

we notice... you steam lovers bunch FORGET A LOT OF THINGS!
it must be playing hl2 too much give you guys memory problems
or probably is just you relying too much on your precious steam, you
think it will fix any problem in your life!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 22, 2005 1:07:45 PM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Bass wrote:

> An hour to get a game going that you bought retail? Effing
> unbelievable. HL2 to me is like buying a virus - no thanks.

isn't it completely unbelievable!!! how can someone accept it! its insane!!
and this is one month after hl2 was released... just wait 6 more months and
instead of having to be online ONE hour you will have to be online ONE day!
cause for now on new patches will get even bigger and bigger and bigger!!!
its really so sad... seeing how evil valve is HUMILIATING so many gamers
sad! sad! sad! really so sad!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 22, 2005 1:11:34 PM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
news:o p64v01g0t7atisibo9p6h3n74uqdjfina@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Bass wrote:
>
> > An hour to get a game going that you bought retail? Effing
> > unbelievable. HL2 to me is like buying a virus - no thanks.
>
> isn't it completely unbelievable!!! how can someone accept it! its
insane!!
> and this is one month after hl2 was released... just wait 6 more months
and
> instead of having to be online ONE hour you will have to be online ONE
day!

During the 1960's in the US, the government, feeling threatened by the
counter culture tried to crack down on drug use, specifically marijuana.
(see "reefer madness") They lauched an add campaign showing (among other
things) that people who smoked pot would actualy go insane. Well, what
happened of course is that people smoked weed anyway (for whatever reason)
and surprise surprise, they didn't go insane. Even though long term studies
show that chronic marijuana use can be detrimental, and even though there is
a moderate element of psychological addiction and other short term
detrimental effects, this information was never conveyed because the
governement was over-the-top in their anti-drug message and so lost all
credibility.

> cause for now on new patches will get even bigger and bigger and bigger!!!
> its really so sad... seeing how evil valve is HUMILIATING so many gamers
> sad! sad! sad! really so sad!
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:55:02 PM

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message

> "MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> After playing through HL2 twice now, I want to reclaim some drive
>> space (the thing takes up quite a bit). With most games, I think
>> nothing of it. I need the space, I uninstall the game. If I want to
>> play it later, I install it again at some later date when I have more
>> space available.
>>
>> However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
>> myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
>> re-install it later.

>> MCheu]
>
> Make a backup of HL2. Just open steam, click "Play Games", right click on
> Half-Life 2 and select "Backup". It will automatically chop it into CD or
> DVD size chunks for backup. Then when done, right click on game again and
> select "Remove local game content". Then if you want to play again, just
> restore your backup (double click on it, as it is self installing if you
> have Steam on your PC) and then it may download the latest updates, then
> you're good to go. Quicker than downloading the whole thing again IMHO.

I have tried this and restoring from the backup failed. I tried several
times and each time it asked for the next disc even though I backed up to a
DVD. Fortunately I made another backup by just compressing the files with
WinRAR to one big file on a DVD and this worked fine.
January 22, 2005 6:08:31 PM

MCheu wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:06:46 +0000, difool
> <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, "Hank the Rapper" wrote:
>>

>>>I uninstalled Steam and HL2 and reinstalled it with out any problems.
>>
>>so mr "no problem" hank spoke! unfortunately he didn't read the question
>>
>>the guy doesn't own the dvd version you have! we bought via steam! so his
>>question is related to not having a BACKUP copy of hl2!!!!
>>
>>ok we all know you are totally mesmerized with valve but next time try to
>>not make it so obvious, your servanty is extremely embarrassing!
>

> Um... No. I bought the retail version. I never said anything about
> buying it via Steam, though I guess I should have specified.
>
> It seems that guys like me that bought from the store bore the brunt
> of the Steam hiccups early on -- the pre-installs and Steam installs
> were a bit smoother. My concern was that some people were saying that
> the authentication features of steam might prevent people from
> re-installing the game later, regardless of which version you have.
> Is that still an issue with the game?

> MCheu

Hiya, I see you met difool. I cant see his posts anymore as they have
become less amusing and more cringeworthy. Guy really needs medication.

I haven't uninstalled/re-installed completely but I guess that if you
did that then you would need to verify again. Best bet is to either do
what I suggested above (if you have broadband) or backup the game first.
Re-installing from a backup would then include the verification files
and you wont have to do it again.

Just FYI the DVD version was released in Europe AFAIK and I haven't
heard of many folk that have had an issue with that version (except for
not liking Steam of course)

Shaun

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 6:58:49 PM

difool wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, MCheu wrote:
>
>> However, after my original installation snarls with STEAM, I find
>> myself wondering if it's safe to uninstall it and be able to
>> re-install it later.
>
> with hl2 you don't control the installation process, valve does
> let me repeat cause its important
> its valve who controls the installation process, you only watch
> so in theory this can happen:
> . you uninstall today
> . tomorrow valve closes
> . you will never be able to play hl2 again
> just think about it
>
> ps: i didn't even talk about backups so i wouldn't make you more
> depressed and worried as you already are

yawn

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous

MCheu wrote:
> of the Steam hiccups early on -- the pre-installs and Steam installs
> My concern was that some people were saying that
> the authentication features of steam might prevent people from
> re-installing the game later, regardless of which version you have.
> Is that still an issue with the game?

No : and it never was.

--
Walter Mitty
-

MCheu wrote:

> Thanks. What version? Most of the replies seem to have dealt with
> the online purchase of the game. Mine is the retail CD version
> (didn't even know they sold it on DVD).

The DVD version only came on the rip-off Collectors Edition. I have the DVD
version. The install was faster the second time because the game's
information was already saved to my steam account.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 8:05:32 PM

JoeSmooth wrote:

> During the 1960's in the US, the government, feeling threatened by the
> counter culture tried to crack down on drug use, specifically
> marijuana. (see "reefer madness") They lauched an add campaign
> showing (among other things) that people who smoked pot would actualy
> go insane. Well, what happened of course is that people smoked weed
> anyway (for whatever reason) and surprise surprise, they didn't go
> insane. Even though long term studies show that chronic marijuana
> use can be detrimental, and even though there is a moderate element
> of psychological addiction and other short term detrimental effects,
> this information was never conveyed because the governement was
> over-the-top in their anti-drug message and so lost all credibility.

You know an analogy like this will fly over difool's head.
January 23, 2005 2:56:31 AM

Stoned Monkey wrote:

>snipped<

Lol. See what you mean. The guy can't be for real. Got to be trolling
in which case he's brilliant to have got away with it so long.
Otherwise....some village is missing it's idiot.

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 5:29:15 AM

Hank the Rapper wrote:
> MCheu wrote:
>
>> Thanks. What version? Most of the replies seem to have dealt with
>> the online purchase of the game. Mine is the retail CD version
>> (didn't even know they sold it on DVD).
>
> The DVD version only came on the rip-off Collectors Edition. I have
> the DVD version. The install was faster the second time because the
> game's information was already saved to my steam account.

i've got the dvd version and not the collectors edition

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 4:07:47 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, "JoeSmooth" wrote:

you're comparison is great!
steam = drugs
valve = drug dealer
valve gamers = drug addicts
myself = telling how BAD drugs are!

yeah! it feels really good being CLEAN!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 23, 2005 4:07:48 PM

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, "JoeSmooth" wrote:
>
> you're comparison is great!
> steam = drugs
> valve = drug dealer
> valve gamers = drug addicts
> myself = telling how BAD drugs are!
>
> yeah! it feels really good being CLEAN!

You forgot the part about Steam making you insane if you use it, but there's
always tomorrow. :)

> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 4:08:07 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, MCheu wrote:

> Um... No. I bought the retail version. I never said anything about
> buying it via Steam, though I guess I should have specified.

ok, so you bought what they call "retail version" cause in reality
there's no "retail version" for hl2... that's another of valve's lies
the thing sold in stores should be renamed to:
"steam for gamers without broadband"
or
"any gamer which doesn't want to download 4GB"

> It seems that guys like me that bought from the store bore the brunt
> of the Steam hiccups early on -- the pre-installs and Steam installs
> were a bit smoother. My concern was that some people were saying that

no... don't be fool with that... that's what valve want you to believe
they want everyone to buy via steam, cause via steam they don't need
to share profits with sierra
buying via steam or buying in your retail store is the same cause you
will always have steam to deal with
no matter what version you buy, if it has STEAM you will always be screwed

> the authentication features of steam might prevent people from
> re-installing the game later, regardless of which version you have.
> Is that still an issue with the game?

yes it is a VERY BIG ISSUE and it will always be with steam based games
you can only install a steam based game with valve's permission
any time you make a fresh install in a steam based game you need to ask
valve for permission
you will always be dependant on valve to install a steam based game
they control, they have the power, you cannot do nothing, you are just a
puppet at their hands

and this only happen with steam based games
all other NORMAL pc games don't have this intrusive and abusive system

so simply say NO to steam!
don't ever buy another game with steam!
don't let them make you their slave!
fight for your freedom!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 24, 2005 12:36:14 PM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, "JoeSmooth" wrote:

> You forgot the part about Steam making you insane if you use it, but
> there's always tomorrow. :)

do you need to say that?
do you need to say the devil is evil?
fortunately i had a good education and since my early childhood my
parents said to me DRUGS are extremely BAD
probably i presumed wrongly, but i thought everyone in this newsgroup
knows how evil, how damaging, how bad "drugs" are... sorry "steam" is

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 24, 2005 1:13:05 PM

> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, "JoeSmooth" wrote:
>
> > You forgot the part about Steam making you insane if you use it, but
> > there's always tomorrow. :)
>
> do you need to say that?
> do you need to say the devil is evil?

I've never met the devil, but I'm not really sure why he gets such a bad
rap. Biblically speaking I can't really remember what evil he was credited
for, except for maybe to Job as a test. God, on the other hand, did all
kinds of evil barbarbic genecidal "evil" stuff. So, I guess it all depends
on your point of view on who's evil and who's not, but there's nothing about
the devil that's obviously evil to me (relative to the goodness of god).

> fortunately i had a good education and since my early childhood my
> parents said to me DRUGS are extremely BAD
> probably i presumed wrongly, but i thought everyone in this newsgroup
> knows how evil, how damaging, how bad "drugs" are... sorry "steam" is

I don't think drugs are "evil" or that they are "bad", and they aren't
necessarily damaging (relatively speaking). It depends on how they are used
and to what extreme, including illegal drugs and drugs used for only for
recreational use. It's people who decide what is "evil" and "good". That's
why some people here like steam and others do not. You believe drugs are
bad because you were told to believe they were and you accepted it to the
point that you don't question it, not unlike your perception that the devil
is evil.

> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 1:25:20 PM

JoeSmooth wrote:
> "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, "JoeSmooth" wrote:
>>

>>>You forgot the part about Steam making you insane if you use it, but
>>>there's always tomorrow. :)
>>
>>do you need to say that?
>>do you need to say the devil is evil?
>

> I've never met the devil, but I'm not really sure why he gets such a bad
> rap. Biblically speaking I can't really remember what evil he was credited
> for, except for maybe to Job as a test. God, on the other hand, did all
> kinds of evil barbarbic genecidal "evil" stuff. So, I guess it all depends
> on your point of view on who's evil and who's not, but there's nothing about
> the devil that's obviously evil to me (relative to the goodness of god).

And let;s not forget the fact that accounts of the Devil, and his
infamy, tend to come from God-apologists and propagandists. Not exactly
fulfilling of an "equal time" provisio.

I suggest reading Mark twain's _Letters from the Earth_, or Harlan
Ellison's "The Deathbird," for a corrective.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 1:57:30 PM

"Brian Siano" <siano@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message
> JoeSmooth wrote:
> > "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message

> >>do you need to say that?
> >>do you need to say the devil is evil?
> >

> > I've never met the devil, but I'm not really sure why he gets such a bad
> > rap. Biblically speaking I can't really remember what evil he was
credited
> > for, except for maybe to Job as a test. God, on the other hand, did all
> > kinds of evil barbarbic genecidal "evil" stuff. So, I guess it all
depends
> > on your point of view on who's evil and who's not, but there's nothing
about
> > the devil that's obviously evil to me (relative to the goodness of god).
>
> And let;s not forget the fact that accounts of the Devil, and his
> infamy, tend to come from God-apologists and propagandists. Not exactly
> fulfilling of an "equal time" provisio.
>
> I suggest reading Mark twain's _Letters from the Earth_, or Harlan
> Ellison's "The Deathbird," for a corrective.

I've read the former, but my point is that even in the context of just the
bible, the devil isn't actually fingered for the source of wrong doing very
often and God, just by doing what he does, comes off as a bit wicked at
times. So even without equal time, the evil/good judgments are hard to
support.
January 24, 2005 11:28:29 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:44:15 -0500, MCheu <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Um... No. I bought the retail version. I never said anything about
>buying it via Steam, though I guess I should have specified.
>
>It seems that guys like me that bought from the store bore the brunt
>of the Steam hiccups early on -- the pre-installs and Steam installs
>were a bit smoother. My concern was that some people were saying that
>the authentication features of steam might prevent people from
>re-installing the game later, regardless of which version you have.
>Is that still an issue with the game?

Make a backup if you can. Right click on game in the Steam menu and
then select 'backup'. You 'll have a faster reinstall, since the files
on the retail CD-ROM won't have to be unlocked on the subsequent
reinstallation.

And in anycase, you won't have to do reauthentication, since Steam can
always associate your account with HL2. In fact, you can lose your
game CDs now and it'd still not affect your ability to reinstall the
game on yours or someone else's PC.
--
Noman
Anonymous

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:28:29 GMT, ZZZYYno_m_anZZZYY@yahoo.com (noman)
wrote:

>Make a backup if you can. Right click on game in the Steam menu and
>then select 'backup'. You 'll have a faster reinstall, since the files
>on the retail CD-ROM won't have to be unlocked on the subsequent
>reinstallation.

That reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask for a few days.
Has anyone successfully reinstalled the game from a backup? I've seen
messages from several people who have tried and failed, but I've yet
to see a message from someone who was successful. Just curious.

Crash7
remove x's from address to email
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 8:16:58 AM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, "JoeSmooth" wrote:
>
> > You forgot the part about Steam making you insane if you use it, but
> > there's always tomorrow. :)
>
> do you need to say that?
> do you need to say the devil is evil?
> fortunately i had a good education and since my early childhood my
> parents said to me DRUGS are extremely BAD
> probably i presumed wrongly, but i thought everyone in this newsgroup
> knows how evil, how damaging, how bad "drugs" are... sorry "steam" is

It's not quite as black and white as you like to make it out to be. For
example, some gamers out there that don't have a CD drive, they can now use
Steam to play. Some gamers have a hard time finding and installing patches
for games (OldDog raises his paw), and now Steam easily provides updates.

Oh, as for drugs being extremely BAD, I have to stop now and take some
Nexium for my acid reflux. Plus I have to take some other drugs for the
bone spurs in my feet.

We live in such a gray world.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:24:58 AM

<snip>
>some gamers out there that don't have a CD drive, they can now use
>Steam to play.

are you kidding me? how the hell have they been installing other PC
games??.. i think i missed the 70 floppy disc version of 'Half-Life'
and god, it must have all day to install 'Morrowind'!.. CD-Rom's have
been standard equipment on PC's for at least 10yrs now.. knob-end

ubertoadie
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:52:09 PM

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> It's not quite as black and white as you like to make it out to be. For
> example, some gamers out there that don't have a CD drive, they can now use
> Steam to play. Some gamers have a hard time finding and installing patches

i call wally a provoker but you also do a great job!
only if you are extremely ignorant... let me repeat... extremely ignorant
will you ever state a pc doesn't need a cd drive
if you don't know i'll tell you... cd drive is a essential part of a pc
and you know why? cause any operating system has to be installed via cd
so there is no pc without a cd drive being it also dvd reader or a one
which is recordable... but any pc has to have a drive which reads cds

i've been exchanging posts with you for some time, and i've been asking you
too be reasonable, i ask you again hoping you we continue exchanging posts
please be reasonable when following up

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 4, 2005 6:57:34 PM

> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
> and you know why? cause any operating system has to be installed via cd
> so there is no pc without a cd drive being it also dvd reader or a one
> which is recordable... but any pc has to have a drive which reads cds

Bzzzt! Wrong. Entirely possible to install operating systems via LAN
connections, even from USB key drives. And DVD players ha ha.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 11:48:47 AM

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, "One Punch Mickey" wrote:

> Bzzzt! Wrong. Entirely possible to install operating systems via LAN
> connections, even from USB key drives. And DVD players ha ha.

mickey please give us a break!
i already told you we don't use our boss equipment for personal benefit!
he fires us if we did!
we are simple pc gamers!
no pc gamer installs his operating system via lan! its simply a proceeder
done in companies with lots of computers

as for usb key drive you must be kidding me!
first i'm not sure if you can transfer the boot image of an modern os
like win2k or winxp to a usb key drive, but even so the mb must support
it and not all do, and last you need a 1gb drive which is not cheap and
again mickey we don't use our boss equipment for personal benefit!

mickey and you please read the full post... i said a drive to read cds!
every dvd drive reads cds! a cd drive reader or a dvd drive reader do
exactly the same when it comes to cds! so please mickey once again give
us a break! please!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

February 5, 2005 10:38:10 PM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
> > It's not quite as black and white as you like to make it out to be.
For
> > example, some gamers out there that don't have a CD drive, they can now
use
> > Steam to play. Some gamers have a hard time finding and installing
patches

> i call wally a provoker but you also do a great job!
> only if you are extremely ignorant... let me repeat... extremely ignorant
> will you ever state a pc doesn't need a cd drive
> if you don't know i'll tell you... cd drive is a essential part of a pc
> and you know why? cause any operating system has to be installed via cd
> so there is no pc without a cd drive being it also dvd reader or a one
> which is recordable... but any pc has to have a drive which reads cds
>
> i've been exchanging posts with you for some time, and i've been asking
you
> too be reasonable, i ask you again hoping you we continue exchanging posts
> please be reasonable when following up

I just checked with my cousin. She's running Windows 3.1 with no CD drive.
I've got another friend running a computer using DOS 5 with no CD drive.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 9:11:02 AM

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:38:10 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
wrote:

>"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>>
>> > It's not quite as black and white as you like to make it out to be.
>For
>> > example, some gamers out there that don't have a CD drive, they can now
>use
>> > Steam to play. Some gamers have a hard time finding and installing
>patches
>>
>> i call wally a provoker but you also do a great job!
>> only if you are extremely ignorant... let me repeat... extremely ignorant
>> will you ever state a pc doesn't need a cd drive
>> if you don't know i'll tell you... cd drive is a essential part of a pc
>> and you know why? cause any operating system has to be installed via cd
>> so there is no pc without a cd drive being it also dvd reader or a one
>> which is recordable... but any pc has to have a drive which reads cds
>>
>> i've been exchanging posts with you for some time, and i've been asking
>you
>> too be reasonable, i ask you again hoping you we continue exchanging posts
>> please be reasonable when following up
>>

>I just checked with my cousin. She's running Windows 3.1 with no CD drive.
>I've got another friend running a computer using DOS 5 with no CD drive.

didn't those OS's though, ship on floppy? and hence no need for CD
drive..

ubertoadie
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 11:34:27 AM

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> I just checked with my cousin. She's running Windows 3.1 with no CD drive.
> I've got another friend running a computer using DOS 5 with no CD drive.

now i'm sure you're mocking me, and let me tell you i don't like it at all!
we are in a group talking about current pc games but if your stuborness and
stupidity makes you write this garbage (now what you wrote is GARBAGE) then
please remain quiet and don't waste valuable bandwidth!

ps: one you said your family has abit tired of you and i now realize why

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

Against Steam Campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

February 7, 2005 12:53:43 AM

> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
> > I just checked with my cousin. She's running Windows 3.1 with no CD
drive.
> > I've got another friend running a computer using DOS 5 with no CD drive.
>
> now i'm sure you're mocking me, and let me tell you i don't like it at
all!
> we are in a group talking about current pc games but if your stuborness
and
> stupidity makes you write this garbage (now what you wrote is GARBAGE)
then
> please remain quiet and don't waste valuable bandwidth!
>
> ps: one you said your family has abit tired of you and i now realize why

The name of this forum is IBM PC GAMES ACTION. Not ibm CURRENT pc games
action. Just because you ignore those that don't have a fast pc, or run
WinXP, or don't have a CD drive ...

ps What took you so long. ;)
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 3:37:31 PM

> mickey please give us a break!
> i already told you we don't use our boss equipment for personal benefit!
> he fires us if we did!

You didn't say anything about the circumstances that you might be installing
in, you just made a blanket statement that it was impossible.

> as for usb key drive you must be kidding me!

Nope, there are Linux distros that you can install onto key drives and boot
from, then install onto the HDD.

> first i'm not sure if you can transfer the boot image of an modern os
> like win2k or winxp to a usb key drive, but even so the mb must support
> it and not all do, and last you need a 1gb drive

I've got a Linux one on a 256MB key drive.

> mickey and you please read the full post... i said a drive to read cds!
> every dvd drive reads cds!

I know, I was being sarcastic.
!