Warning re monitor calibration

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 22, 2005 11:42:14 AM

Hi.

I recently bought an LCD monitor and decided it needed calibrating. After
some digging around for a free program to do this and a post on this NG from
someone else, I found "3-Deep" - a free monitor calibration package.

Running through it didn't really improve things and I found that the nvidia
color correction software does a far better job of improving contrast levels
etc.

Shortly after tinkering around I noticed that my games started to look
*awful* - as though the gamma correction had been turned right up. This has
had me really tearing my hair out for the past week or so and totally
stumped me - having only recently acquired an LCD monitor I simply presumed
that all games must look like this on a cheap LCD.

It turns out that the ever helpful 3-Deep installs something called
"Lightsurf" - (the .exe is called something else) without telling you. This
"helpfully" adjusts games so they "look right" on your monitor.

Needless to say, uninstalling 3-Deep got rid of this POS and my games are
now looking great.

There was no indication that 3-Deep was going to make any changes to my
system and there is no icon in your taskbar, so the only reason I spotted
this was whilst checking MSConfig to remove a QuickTime thing.

Regards

Schrodinger
January 22, 2005 2:53:27 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:42:14 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I recently bought an LCD monitor and decided it needed calibrating. After
>some digging around for a free program to do this and a post on this NG from
>someone else, I found "3-Deep" - a free monitor calibration package.
>
>Running through it didn't really improve things and I found that the nvidia
>color correction software does a far better job of improving contrast levels
>etc.
>
>Shortly after tinkering around I noticed that my games started to look
>*awful* - as though the gamma correction had been turned right up. This has
>had me really tearing my hair out for the past week or so and totally
>stumped me - having only recently acquired an LCD monitor I simply presumed
>that all games must look like this on a cheap LCD.
>
>It turns out that the ever helpful 3-Deep installs something called
>"Lightsurf" - (the .exe is called something else) without telling you. This
>"helpfully" adjusts games so they "look right" on your monitor.
>
>Needless to say, uninstalling 3-Deep got rid of this POS and my games are
>now looking great.
>
>There was no indication that 3-Deep was going to make any changes to my
>system and there is no icon in your taskbar, so the only reason I spotted
>this was whilst checking MSConfig to remove a QuickTime thing.
>
>Regards
>
>Schrodinger

I apologize for recommending that program for you then. I usually skip
that part of the calibration for that very reason, it washes out the
gamma. I have a very old version archived and the newer version might
be different. Sorry about that. (my version has a LCD calibrater and
has not expired as it stated)

Pluvious
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 22, 2005 10:33:22 PM

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message
> Running through it didn't really improve things and I found that the
nvidia
> color correction software does a far better job of improving contrast
levels
> etc.

What NVidia color correction software? I don't know of any.

> It turns out that the ever helpful 3-Deep installs something called
> "Lightsurf" - (the .exe is called something else) without telling you.
This
> "helpfully" adjusts games so they "look right" on your monitor.

I've had no problems with 3-Deep. YMMV, but I've found it to be pretty
good.
Related resources
January 23, 2005 10:59:12 AM

"magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message
>> Running through it didn't really improve things and I found that the
> nvidia
>> color correction software does a far better job of improving contrast
> levels
>> etc.
>
> What NVidia color correction software? I don't know of any.

The "Color Correction" part of Nvidia setting that sits in your icon tray.

>> It turns out that the ever helpful 3-Deep installs something called
>> "Lightsurf" - (the .exe is called something else) without telling you.
> This
>> "helpfully" adjusts games so they "look right" on your monitor.
>
> I've had no problems with 3-Deep. YMMV, but I've found it to be pretty
> good.

Fair enough. It must be that it doesn't think the gamma needs correcting on
yours. Check out msconfig and see if you have an entry called "Lightsurf".
January 23, 2005 11:00:13 AM

"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:42:14 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi.
>>
>>I recently bought an LCD monitor and decided it needed calibrating. After
>>some digging around for a free program to do this and a post on this NG
>>from
>>someone else, I found "3-Deep" - a free monitor calibration package.
>>
>>Running through it didn't really improve things and I found that the
>>nvidia
>>color correction software does a far better job of improving contrast
>>levels
>>etc.
>>
>>Shortly after tinkering around I noticed that my games started to look
>>*awful* - as though the gamma correction had been turned right up. This
>>has
>>had me really tearing my hair out for the past week or so and totally
>>stumped me - having only recently acquired an LCD monitor I simply
>>presumed
>>that all games must look like this on a cheap LCD.
>>
>>It turns out that the ever helpful 3-Deep installs something called
>>"Lightsurf" - (the .exe is called something else) without telling you.
>>This
>>"helpfully" adjusts games so they "look right" on your monitor.
>>
>>Needless to say, uninstalling 3-Deep got rid of this POS and my games are
>>now looking great.
>>
>>There was no indication that 3-Deep was going to make any changes to my
>>system and there is no icon in your taskbar, so the only reason I spotted
>>this was whilst checking MSConfig to remove a QuickTime thing.
>>
>>Regards
>>
>>Schrodinger
>>

> I apologize for recommending that program for you then. I usually skip
> that part of the calibration for that very reason, it washes out the
> gamma. I have a very old version archived and the newer version might
> be different. Sorry about that. (my version has a LCD calibrater and
> has not expired as it stated)
>
> Pluvious

Hey, don't apologise for being helpful! Not your fault that 3-Deep did
this. It isn't beyond the bounds of possibility that I may even have ticked
a box or something without realising!
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
January 23, 2005 1:21:00 PM

Schrodinger wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Needless to say, uninstalling 3-Deep got rid of this POS and my games are
> now looking great.
>
> There was no indication that 3-Deep was going to make any changes to my
> system and there is no icon in your taskbar, so the only reason I spotted
> this was whilst checking MSConfig to remove a QuickTime thing.

I would never use a program whose name looked like: 3D-eep!

;-)
!