Kurzweil K2x00 internal HD no longer an option?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 6, 2004 2:46:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.synth.kurzweil,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.synth (More info?)

Hi all,

The internal hard drive in my K2000 (Quantum LPS 240MB) has sadly
died, and I would like to replace it...BUT from what I read,
apparantly this is an impossibility in 2004.

The compatibility list on http://www.sweetwater.com/k2000/drives.html
implies that other than the drives listed, other drives will NOT work.

Ebay seems devoid of any drive from this (small) list.

Pyramid sells 'refurbished' drives:
http://66.96.129.224/cgi-local/shop.pl/page=hardware.ht...
for US$250 /$A355!! - without postage! They also suggest that an
external box (with it's own power supply) is the way to go.

Here's what they say:
"With the latest version of the operating system, the K2000 can see a
hard drive up to 2Gb. However, the official word from Kurzweil is
that the K2000 power supply is inadequate to run a drive of this size,
so an external SCSI hard drive with its own power supply is the way
to go.

Removable SCSI drives (ZIP, JAZZ, and ORB) have better shock
resistance than hard drives, but seem to have long-term reliability
problems. We are offering external SCSI hard drives as an
alternative. All mechanisms and SCSI enclosures are new. Don't
trust your data to old, used drives."

Are they exagerrating about the Kurz power supply not being able to
cope w a drive 2G or larger?

And what's this about the 'long term reliability probs in using Jaz
and Zip disks'.. is this a valid point, or part of a sales pitch?

To summarise...it looks finding an internal HD for a K2x00 is
impossible.
1. Hope to find old compatible drive on ebay etc (I havent found any)
2. Buy a 'refurbished' one ($$$) from pyramid ...

At this stage it looks like a zip/jaz is the only option, but I'd MUCH
prefer an internal drive. I dont want to carry around a zip/jaz -
they're supposedly REALLY SLOW, take up space, take up a powerpoint,
as now the alleged reliability issues mentioned by the pyramid site;
nor do I want to get an external box to carry around..

Are there any other options?

Andy
ps. here's more of what Pyramid say:
http://www.pyramid-sound.com/hints.htm#K2000_operating_...:
Question: "I was planning to get an internal hard-drive because it
would give me more storage than the external ZIP I'm using by now.
Also, I like the idea of an internal hard drive. I have a K2VP and I
believe it can handle a 2 GB hard drive. What's the difference with an
external hard-drive versus an internal? I realize an internal hard
drive would drain power from the Kurzweil, but why would that be a
problem?"

The K2VP can address a 2 GB hard drive, but it is not a good idea to
be powering it as an internal drive. When a new OS upgrade comes out,
it adapts the Kurzweil to the newer, larger drives. However, there is
no power supply upgrade. The official word from Kurzweil is that the
latest OS upgrade for K2000 lets you use a 2 gig HD, but they
specifically advise against using 2 GB drives as internal units
because the K2000's power supply can't handle it. They have not issued
a similar warning for the K2600, and we have not heard of K2600 power
supplies going out with an 8 gig drive, but it may be too soon to
tell. The Operating System upgrade that made it possible for the K2600
to see an 8 gig drive is fairly recent.

The larger and faster the drive, the more power it draws. Portability
is nice, especially if you're a gig-hopping musician and play live.
It's one useless thing to lug around. However, unless you really need
many samples for the performance, a smallish internal hard drive (less
than 700 MB) would be your best bet. However, please note that many
smaller drives do not meet the power supply specs for K2000, K2VP, and
K2VX.
An external SCSI hard drive is a very different scenario from an
internal because it is a freestanding unit with its own power supply.
In other words, it does not run off the Kurzweil's power supply and
therefore is not an extra load on the Kurzweil. "
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 2:53:57 AM

Andybaby wrote:

> The internal hard drive in my K2000 (Quantum LPS 240MB) has sadly
> died, and I would like to replace it...BUT from what I read,
> apparantly this is an impossibility in 2004.

I think I have an LPS120 here somewhere. Pay the freight and it's yours.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 10:07:45 AM

Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message news:<2ngknlFl6cjU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Andybaby wrote:
> >
> > The internal hard drive in my K2000 (Quantum LPS 240MB) has sadly
> > died, and I would like to replace it...BUT from what I read,
> > apparantly this is an impossibility in 2004.
>

> I think I have an LPS120 here somewhere. Pay the freight and it's yours.

Whoa!! Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.

I'll email my details to you privately.

regards,

Andy
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 2:28:53 PM

Andybaby wrote:

> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message news:<2ngknlFl6cjU1@uni-berlin.de>...
>
>> Andybaby wrote:
>>
>>> The internal hard drive in my K2000 (Quantum LPS 240MB) has sadly
>>> died, and I would like to replace it...BUT from what I read,
>>> apparantly this is an impossibility in 2004.
>>

>> I think I have an LPS120 here somewhere. Pay the freight and it's yours.
>

> Whoa!! Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.
>
> I'll email my details to you privately.

sound of rummaging with mild cursing in background...

Another thing to consider might be a flash drive.
August 8, 2004 7:08:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.synth.kurzweil,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.synth (More info?)

In article <2nn66nF2jv39U1@uni-berlin.de>,
Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:

> Andybaby wrote:
>
> > Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message

> >> I think I have an LPS120 here somewhere. Pay the freight and it's yours.
> >

> > Whoa!! Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.
> >
> > I'll email my details to you privately.
>

> sound of rummaging with mild cursing in background...
>

> Another thing to consider might be a flash drive.

Sure.

Tell us all the places selling SCSI flash drives.

I hope my pen doesn't run out of ink writing them all down.
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 7:08:11 PM

Steve wrote:

> In article <2nn66nF2jv39U1@uni-berlin.de>,
> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>

>>Andybaby wrote:
>>

>>>Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message

>>>Whoa!! Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.
>>>
>>>I'll email my details to you privately.
>>

>>sound of rummaging with mild cursing in background...
>>

>>Another thing to consider might be a flash drive.
>

> Sure.
>
> Tell us all the places selling SCSI flash drives.

Oops, forgot it was a SCSI drive. I have another similar-era Quantum that's IDE.
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 4:40:37 AM

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 12:19:54 -0700, Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net>
wrote:

>Oops, forgot it was a SCSI drive. I have another similar-era Quantum that's IDE.

What flavor of SCSI does it need? I've got a 2 gig SCSI-2 around here
somewhere. 50 pins IIRC.

And somehow I thought that SCSI controllers removed the 2 gig, 8 gig,
32 gig barriers. Not true?

Another and, do large modern drives *really* consume that much more
power? They're only slightly warm to the touch.

Chris Hornbeck
"Whether ours shall be a government of laws and not of men is now
for Congress and ultimately the American people." -Archibald Cox
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 4:40:38 AM

Chris Hornbeck wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 12:19:54 -0700, Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Oops, forgot it was a SCSI drive. I have another similar-era Quantum that's IDE.
>

> What flavor of SCSI does it need? I've got a 2 gig SCSI-2 around here
> somewhere. 50 pins IIRC.

If I can find it, I actually do have an LPS-120 (SCSI.) I also have a ~200mb? ATA quantum drive of the same era. I also have a couple of Seagate 340 mb SCSI drives in the box.

> And somehow I thought that SCSI controllers removed the 2 gig, 8 gig,
> 32 gig barriers. Not true?

IIRC, the controller does INT 14 emulation and still has to conform to some of the BIOS restrictions.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 2:01:20 AM

Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message news:<2nohbaF2q2lkU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Chris Hornbeck wrote:
> > On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 12:19:54 -0700, Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>Oops, forgot it was a SCSI drive. I have another similar-era Quantum that's IDE.
> >

> > What flavor of SCSI does it need? I've got a 2 gig SCSI-2 around here
> > somewhere. 50 pins IIRC.
>
> If I can find it, I actually do have an LPS-120 (SCSI.)

Yea, I'm standing by. (I've emailed you my details btw)

In any case, it seems that in a few years when these drives are dead,
that an internal HD will no longer be an option in a Kurz. :(

I'm thinking of mabye getting a used internal Zip.... no-one has
commented on their alleged 'unreliability' ..

mmm,

Andy
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 5:31:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.music.synth.kurzweil,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.synth (More info?)

Andy,

You need to visit this site: www.scsiforsamplers.com

They've got external CD-Rom/HD that they claim will work perfectly with your
K2000. This is, in fact, the place I plan on buying from when I go for an
external combo for my own K2600XS. Talk about cheap! You can get an
external 12X CD-Rom / 2 GB Seagate combo (with case enclosure) for $140.00.

Anyway, hope that helps.

"Andybaby" <privacy_101@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> tell. The Operating System upgrade that made it possible for the K2600
> to see an 8 gig drive is fairly recent.
>
> The larger and faster the drive, the more power it draws. Portability
> is nice, especially if you're a gig-hopping musician and play live.
> It's one useless thing to lug around. However, unless you really need
> many samples for the performance, a smallish internal hard drive (less
> than 700 MB) would be your best bet. However, please note that many
> smaller drives do not meet the power supply specs for K2000, K2VP, and
> K2VX.
> An external SCSI hard drive is a very different scenario from an
> internal because it is a freestanding unit with its own power supply.
> In other words, it does not run off the Kurzweil's power supply and
> therefore is not an extra load on the Kurzweil. "
August 11, 2004 4:55:23 PM

Andybaby wrote:

> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message news:<2nohbaF2q2lkU1@uni-berlin.de>...
>
>>Chris Hornbeck wrote:

>>>What flavor of SCSI does it need? I've got a 2 gig SCSI-2 around here
>>>somewhere. 50 pins IIRC.
>>
>>If I can find it, I actually do have an LPS-120 (SCSI.)
>

> Yea, I'm standing by. (I've emailed you my details btw)

I'll try to get out to the garage in the next few days (it's bigger than the house.)

> In any case, it seems that in a few years when these drives are dead,
> that an internal HD will no longer be an option in a Kurz. :(
>
> I'm thinking of mabye getting a used internal Zip.... no-one has
> commented on their alleged 'unreliability' ..

I allege that clients and I both lost a LOT of data on ZIP disks and I don't trust them at all.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 8:05:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.synth.kurzweil,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> > Here's what they say:
> > "With the latest version of the operating system, the K2000 can see a
> > hard drive up to 2Gb. However, the official word from Kurzweil is
> > that the K2000 power supply is inadequate to run a drive of this size,

I'd be surprised if a modern 2GB drive used more power than the old 240MB
one, possibly less. Why not check the power requirements listed on the
label? Stay clear of 10kRPM drives which probably will need more power, and
be totally unnecessary for the application.

TonyP.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 8:05:41 PM

TonyP wrote:

>>> Here's what they say:
>>> "With the latest version of the operating system, the K2000 can see a
>>> hard drive up to 2Gb. However, the official word from Kurzweil is
>>> that the K2000 power supply is inadequate to run a drive of this size,
>

> I'd be surprised if a modern 2GB drive used more power than the old 240MB
> one, possibly less. Why not check the power requirements listed on the
> label? Stay clear of 10kRPM drives which probably will need more power, and
> be totally unnecessary for the application.

IIRC, some of the 4G drives had jumpers to make them look like 2G drives.

I have an unused 4G Barracuda (first generation 7200) but those things sounded like a jet engine warming up and used to dim the lights in my office at bootup.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 10:26:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.music.synth.kurzweil,rec.music.makers.synth,rec.audio.pro,rec.music.synth (More info?)

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

What about...modifying the K2000 to give more power for the modern
drives?

I mean the molex connector is there, we get a 68 pin to 50 pin SCSI
convertor plug, and simply change whatever the element is (power
supply?) thats causing the prob.

This would make more sense and possibly be cheaper than buying one of
those expensive refurbished old drives.

Also, no-one has commented on the reliability (or otherwise) of SCSI
Zip/Jaz drives. Do Jazz drives read 100mb Zip disks? It would be
cheaper to throw away a dud 100mb disk, than a more expensing 1GB one.

Andy
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 8:48:43 PM

Steve <Steve@IHATESPAM.com> wrote in message news:<Steve-753BE2.15080908082004@comcast.dca.giganews.com>...
> In article <2nn66nF2jv39U1@uni-berlin.de>,
> Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
>
> > Andybaby wrote:
> >
> > > Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message

> > > Whoa!! Thanks a lot! Much appreciated.
> > >
> > > I'll email my details to you privately.
> >

> > sound of rummaging with mild cursing in background...
> >

> > Another thing to consider might be a flash drive.
>

> Sure.
>
> Tell us all the places selling SCSI flash drives.
>
> I hope my pen doesn't run out of ink writing them all down.

Actually, SCSI drives for PCMCIA/Smartmedia/CompactFlash can be found
on eBay; you just have to be persistent and patient. Keywords to try
include "Microtech", "PCD-47B", and "SCM", in addition to the obvious
ones.

The PCD-47B works well with my K2600 (OS 4.0). It and similar models
would likely work in a K2K as well, as long as hot-swapping is not
attempted (power down your K before changing/removing cards).
!