Crossover Frequency for Subwoofer

Last response: in Home Audio
August 7, 2004 3:26:16 AM

What is a typical crossover frequency for a subwoofer?

I have an electronic crossover and am looking to put it in place for a
system with ordinary passive two way speakers for the normal frequency
range and some big bass bins for the subs.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 3:26:17 AM

Patrick Dunford <patrickdunford@nomail.invalid> wrote:
>What is a typical crossover frequency for a subwoofer?

There is nothing typical.

>I have an electronic crossover and am looking to put it in place for a
>system with ordinary passive two way speakers for the normal frequency
>range and some big bass bins for the subs.

I have seen desktop "multimedia" speakers that cross over at 300 Hz.
I have seen a Servodrive system that crossed over at 35 Hz.

Where do your mains start to break up? Play a tone ladder at a high level,
and listen to to the tones. What is the lowest frequency that you can play
without distortion?

Do the same thing on your bass cabinets. What is the highest frequency that
you can play without breakup?

You ought to have at least an octave overlap between these two, and you
want your crossover frequency to be between them somewhere.

The actual point is going to be a compromise between bass accuracy and
power handling in most cases, and where you decide to move it depends on
how hard you want to push the system.
--scott