Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help extending wireless range

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 9, 2012 4:27:26 PM

Hi! I have a wireless router/modem combo given by Verizon Fios in my office on one side of the house (second story). I routinely get between 0-1 bars on the other side of the house and pretty much 0 bars in the backyard. I would like to extend this range.

I do have wired ethernet jacks throughout the house on both sides. Is there a wireless extender that can be plugged into an ethernet jack on the other side of my house to extend the range of my wifi? I would think this would be better for coverage than purchasing a wireless extender which has to placed in an area that receives good coverage from the wireless router.

Or if you have any other ideas, please let me know and thanks for any help!
a b F Wireless
July 9, 2012 7:18:47 PM

Yes, you can purchase extenders that connect by Ethernet, and that is better than the plain wireless units. You can also use inexpensive wireless routers and set them up as extenders. The instructions have been posted here many times, but if you cannot find them I can repost later.
m
l
July 9, 2012 8:46:38 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
Yes, you can purchase extenders that connect by Ethernet, and that is better than the plain wireless units. You can also use inexpensive wireless routers and set them up as extenders. The instructions have been posted here many times, but if you cannot find them I can repost later.

I do have an extra wireless router, but it's not supported by dd-wrt (it is one of those infamous Linksys wrt54GP2 routers that Vonage was giving out).

I'm trying to find which extenders use the ethernet port as the extension instead of the wireless signal. Do you have any links to any of these extenders?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b F Wireless
July 9, 2012 10:43:06 PM

Why does a router need to support dd-wrt?

If you just want an extender then go to your favorite website and purchase one, but they are generally more expensive than standard wireless routers.
July 17, 2012 5:00:30 AM

Best answer selected by burnside.
m
l
!