Why Half-Life 2 is so great

Last response: in Video Games
January 23, 2005 7:51:57 PM

After having just completed this masterpiece for the third time and
thoroughly enjoying it I have been trying to come up with one really
valid reason as to why this game is so great and I think I can sum it
up in 2 words:

Genre Transcending

Not only does this game define or should I say redefine the FPS genre
it also transcends it and I think that is what all truely great games
do, they cross over boundries so they cannot be classed in one
particular genre.

But in the case of HL2 is doesn't merely cross over boundries, rather
it obliterates them so think of it less as an FPS but more as a gaming
'experience' like no other.

More about : half life great

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 9:24:13 PM

Michael R Sisson wrote:
> In article <1106527917.250969.303870@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> cr0n1k@hotmail.com says...
> > After having just completed this masterpiece for the third time and
> > thoroughly enjoying it I have been trying to come up with one
really
> > valid reason as to why this game is so great and I think I can sum
it
> > up in 2 words:
> >
> > Genre Transcending
> >
> > Not only does this game define or should I say redefine the FPS
genre
> > it also transcends it and I think that is what all truely great
games
> > do, they cross over boundries so they cannot be classed in one
> > particular genre.
> >
> > But in the case of HL2 is doesn't merely cross over boundries,
rather
> > it obliterates them so think of it less as an FPS but more as a
gaming
> > 'experience' like no other.
> >

> Keep your attentions focused on .simulators, low-grade.
>

> MRSisson
> --
> LOAD "GPL",8
>
> SEARCHING FOR GPL
> READY.
> RUN

Get out of my face Sisson.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 11:59:03 PM

In article <1106527917.250969.303870@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
cr0n1k@hotmail.com says...
> After having just completed this masterpiece for the third time and
> thoroughly enjoying it I have been trying to come up with one really
> valid reason as to why this game is so great and I think I can sum it
> up in 2 words:
>
> Genre Transcending
>
> Not only does this game define or should I say redefine the FPS genre
> it also transcends it and I think that is what all truely great games
> do, they cross over boundries so they cannot be classed in one
> particular genre.
>
> But in the case of HL2 is doesn't merely cross over boundries, rather
> it obliterates them so think of it less as an FPS but more as a gaming
> 'experience' like no other.

Keep your attentions focused on .simulators, low-grade.

MRSisson
--
LOAD "GPL",8

SEARCHING FOR GPL
READY.
RUN
January 24, 2005 1:18:34 AM

In the words of J.Lo in that classic movie 'Gigli'; "Gobble, gobble".

<cr0n1k@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1106527917.250969.303870@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> After having just completed this masterpiece for the third time and
> thoroughly enjoying it I have been trying to come up with one really
> valid reason as to why this game is so great and I think I can sum it
> up in 2 words:
>
> Genre Transcending
>
> Not only does this game define or should I say redefine the FPS genre
> it also transcends it and I think that is what all truely great games
> do, they cross over boundries so they cannot be classed in one
> particular genre.
>
> But in the case of HL2 is doesn't merely cross over boundries, rather
> it obliterates them so think of it less as an FPS but more as a gaming
> 'experience' like no other.

January 24, 2005 2:54:47 AM

> <cr0n1k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> After having just completed this masterpiece for the third time and
>> thoroughly enjoying it I have been trying to come up with one really
>> valid reason as to why this game is so great and I think I can sum it
>> up in 2 words:
>>
>> Genre Transcending
>>
>> Not only does this game define or should I say redefine the FPS genre
>> it also transcends it and I think that is what all truely great games
>> do, they cross over boundries so they cannot be classed in one
>> particular genre.
>>
>> But in the case of HL2 is doesn't merely cross over boundries, rather
>> it obliterates them so think of it less as an FPS but more as a gaming
>> 'experience' like no other.

How many shooters have you played in the last year? I just finished HL2
tonight and for me the last 1/3 ruined the rest of the fun I had up until
that point. As soon as I started the "squad" levels up to the end, the game
went down hill for me. I found that it became ridiculously hard and having
to deal with my absolutely stupid squad mates totally ruined the game for
me. I kept from reading all the posts on this group about how bad the ending
was because I wanted to find out for myself. Well I just found out, and what
a let down. It would have been nice to have a story to go along with all the
cool graphic. I was thinking that toward the end maybe some stuff would be
explained. But I was left without a clue about what the hell I had just
spent the whole game doing. I also hate games that spawn enemies until you
are forced to move on, and HL2 is full of these situations.
I don't recall ever playing a game that I was so excited about, and totally
loving all the cool stuff in the game, only to have it fall to pieces so
badly toward the end.
I'm finally playing FarCry and I'm finding this game to be far more
interesting then HL2. The game looks fantastic, and after being on such
tight rails playing HL2, FarCry seems so HUGE! I've had so much fun crawling
around sneaking up on the mercenaries. And the sniper rifle is to cool. What
I'm enjoying the most is being about to tag the enemy with my binoculars.
Man that is so damn handy! Anyway maybe if I hadn't played Riddick and now
FarCry before I finished HL2 I'd feel different about HL2. But for me it was
fun, but not game of the year material. JLC
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:26:48 PM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:54:47 -0800, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>> <cr0n1k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> After having just completed this masterpiece for the third time and
>>> thoroughly enjoying it I have been trying to come up with one really
>>> valid reason as to why this game is so great and I think I can sum it
>>> up in 2 words:
>>>
>>> Genre Transcending
>>>
>>> Not only does this game define or should I say redefine the FPS genre
>>> it also transcends it and I think that is what all truely great games
>>> do, they cross over boundries so they cannot be classed in one
>>> particular genre.
>>>
>>> But in the case of HL2 is doesn't merely cross over boundries, rather
>>> it obliterates them so think of it less as an FPS but more as a gaming
>>> 'experience' like no other.
>>>

>How many shooters have you played in the last year? I just finished HL2
>tonight and for me the last 1/3 ruined the rest of the fun I had up until
>that point. As soon as I started the "squad" levels up to the end, the game
>went down hill for me. I found that it became ridiculously hard and having
>to deal with my absolutely stupid squad mates totally ruined the game for
>me. I kept from reading all the posts on this group about how bad the ending
>was because I wanted to find out for myself. Well I just found out, and what
>a let down. It would have been nice to have a story to go along with all the
>cool graphic. I was thinking that toward the end maybe some stuff would be
>explained. But I was left without a clue about what the hell I had just
>spent the whole game doing. I also hate games that spawn enemies until you
>are forced to move on, and HL2 is full of these situations.
> I don't recall ever playing a game that I was so excited about, and totally
>loving all the cool stuff in the game, only to have it fall to pieces so
>badly toward the end.
> I'm finally playing FarCry and I'm finding this game to be far more
>interesting then HL2. The game looks fantastic, and after being on such
>tight rails playing HL2, FarCry seems so HUGE! I've had so much fun crawling
>around sneaking up on the mercenaries. And the sniper rifle is to cool. What
>I'm enjoying the most is being about to tag the enemy with my binoculars.
>Man that is so damn handy! Anyway maybe if I hadn't played Riddick and now
>FarCry before I finished HL2 I'd feel different about HL2. But for me it was
>fun, but not game of the year material. JLC

hmmm... this should provoke a rabid response from the loving few.
All your shots up to date ?

John Lewis
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:36:30 PM

On 23 Jan 2005, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

> Genre Transcending

you know what is really "transcending"?
its seeing how pathetic you loyal submissive "zombie" valve gamers act
begging on your knees in front of everyone to his "master" valve for more!
"please more games master valve!"
"feed me with more games! i need more! i can't stand the pain!"
"please more cause my brain needs your so transcending games!"

i can only describe it as... miserably pathetically humiliating

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 24, 2005 1:30:55 PM

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
> How many shooters have you played in the last year? I just finished HL2
> tonight and for me the last 1/3 ruined the rest of the fun I had up until
> that point. As soon as I started the "squad" levels up to the end, the
> game went down hill for me. I found that it became ridiculously hard and
> having to deal with my absolutely stupid squad mates totally ruined the
> game for

If you use the squad members properly, they are not a problem. I used them
as decoys and would also send them out to fight before I went out. Let them
get killed. You always get more.

> me. I kept from reading all the posts on this group about how bad the
> ending was because I wanted to find out for myself. Well I just found out,
> and what a let down. It would have been nice to have a story to go along
> with all the cool graphic. I was thinking that toward the end maybe some
> stuff would be explained. But I was left without a clue about what the
> hell I had just spent the whole game doing. I also hate games that spawn
> enemies until you are forced to move on, and HL2 is full of these
> situations.

Not true. HL2 does not have an endless amount of spawned enemies.

DaveL
January 24, 2005 2:43:09 PM

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Not true. HL2 does not have an endless amount of spawned enemies.
>
> DaveL

Spoilers'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

There were several areas toward the end where the Combine would pour in from
all sides. Did you stand there and fight them until they stopped? How long
did it take? Because I turned on the GOD cheat and stood there and fought
until I was totally out of ammo. And then at the end game levels where all
you have is the grav. gun, I stood my ground for over 15 min. and they still
came pouring in. So your saying that they stop coming? Did you play on Easy?
JLC
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 4:05:18 PM

On Mon, 23 Jan 2005 cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

> But in the case of HL2 is doesn't merely cross over boundries, rather
> it obliterates them so think of it less as an FPS but more as a gaming
> 'experience' like no other.

What are you talking about? HL2 is a FPS on rails with great models and
great physics, nothing more. Where are any other genres? Go play Vampire
Bloodlines for a cool FPS/RPG shooter hybrid...

January 24, 2005 6:16:38 PM

hl2 sux. bryan adams rules though.

Look into my heart - you will find,
There's nothin' there to hide.
Take me as I am - take my life,
I would give it all - I would sacrifice.

Don't tell me it's not worth fightin' for.
I can't help it - there's nothin' I want more.
Ya know it's true,
Everything I do - I do it for you.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 7:46:45 PM

On 23 Jan 2005 16:51:57 -0800, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

>After having just completed this masterpiece for the third time

Really bored, huh?
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:43:00 AM

Sorry to disappoint you John but my copy of HL2 won't be going anywhere
near a dusty shelf for quite sometime,enjoying the game for the fourth
time with the higher difficulty mod, having great fun with cs:source
and looking forward to dod:source and the many upcoming mods.
Quite some value this HL2 provides. :)
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 4:23:41 AM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> On 23 Jan 2005, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Genre Transcending
>
> you know what is really "transcending"?
> its seeing how pathetic you loyal submissive "zombie" valve gamers act
> begging on your knees in front of everyone to his "master" valve for more!
> "please more games master valve!"
> "feed me with more games! i need more! i can't stand the pain!"
> "please more cause my brain needs your so transcending games!"
>
> i can only describe it as... miserably pathetically humiliating

Humiliating is when you're rounded up with all the other people in your
neighborhood, shipped off in a train like cattle, forced to undress in front
of everyone, and then gased. Just because you're Jewish.

Humiliating is when people tell you that you can't join their church because
you're "different" from them.

Humiliating is when your child comes home from school crying because the
kids there laughed at the "inexpensive" clothes that she wears.

Playing a pc game isn't even in the same league.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 4:27:39 AM

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:46:45 -0800, It's me <me@here.noemail> wrote:

>On 23 Jan 2005 16:51:57 -0800, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>>After having just completed this masterpiece for the third time
>
>Really bored, huh?

Well, he can't sell it, so he is just trying to get good value for his

money before relegating it to a dusty shelf :-) :-)

John Lewis
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 4:44:15 AM

JLC wrote:
>> <cr0n1k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> After having just completed this masterpiece for the third time and
>>> thoroughly enjoying it I have been trying to come up with one really
>>> valid reason as to why this game is so great and I think I can sum
>>> it up in 2 words:
>>>
>>> Genre Transcending
>>>
>>> Not only does this game define or should I say redefine the FPS
>>> genre it also transcends it and I think that is what all truely
>>> great games do, they cross over boundries so they cannot be classed
>>> in one particular genre.
>>>
>>> But in the case of HL2 is doesn't merely cross over boundries,
>>> rather it obliterates them so think of it less as an FPS but more
>>> as a gaming 'experience' like no other.
>>>

> How many shooters have you played in the last year? I just finished
> HL2 tonight and for me the last 1/3 ruined the rest of the fun I had
> up until that point. As soon as I started the "squad" levels up to
> the end, the game went down hill for me. I found that it became
> ridiculously hard and having to deal with my absolutely stupid squad
> mates totally ruined the game for me. I kept from reading all the
> posts on this group about how bad the ending was because I wanted to
> find out for myself. Well I just found out, and what a let down. It
> would have been nice to have a story to go along with all the cool
> graphic. I was thinking that toward the end maybe some stuff would be
> explained. But I was left without a clue about what the hell I had
> just spent the whole game doing. I also hate games that spawn enemies
> until you are forced to move on, and HL2 is full of these situations. I
> don't recall ever playing a game that I was so excited about, and
> totally loving all the cool stuff in the game, only to have it fall
> to pieces so badly toward the end.
> I'm finally playing FarCry and I'm finding this game to be far more
> interesting then HL2. The game looks fantastic, and after being on
> such tight rails playing HL2, FarCry seems so HUGE! I've had so much
> fun crawling around sneaking up on the mercenaries. And the sniper
> rifle is to cool. What I'm enjoying the most is being about to tag
> the enemy with my binoculars. Man that is so damn handy! Anyway maybe
> if I hadn't played Riddick and now FarCry before I finished HL2 I'd
> feel different about HL2. But for me it was fun, but not game of the
> year material. JLC

You can put boxes in front of your pain in the arse squad members and they
can't get through or just send them to get killed,I'm playing riddick now
and I've just finished far cry and I really wasnt impressed with far cry,
sure it looks good but, I found the game boring and a bit montonous but hey
to each his own, I personally really enjoyed HL2 and I'm glad we're talking
about the game and not steam cause those discussions are just getting boring
--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous

difool wrote:
> On 23 Jan 2005, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Genre Transcending
>
> you know what is really "transcending"?
> its seeing how pathetic you loyal submissive "zombie" valve gamers act
> begging on your knees in front of everyone to his "master" valve for
> more! "please more games master valve!"
> "feed me with more games! i need more! i can't stand the pain!"
> "please more cause my brain needs your so transcending games!"
>
> i can only describe it as... miserably pathetically humiliating

why have you put quote marks around those statements?

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 6:25:20 AM

JLC wrote:
> As soon as I started the "squad" levels up to the end, the game
> went down hill for me. I found that it became ridiculously hard and
having
> to deal with my absolutely stupid squad mates totally ruined the game
for
> me.

Don't worry about them. They'll sort themselves out. Best thing is to
send them on in front to clear the way or to draw enemy fire. If they
don't get killed in the battle, they'll be sniped in the next level, or
there'll be an obstacle they can't pass.

> I kept from reading all the posts on this group about how bad the
ending
> was because I wanted to find out for myself. Well I just found out,
and what
> a let down. It would have been nice to have a story to go along with
all the
> cool graphic. I was thinking that toward the end maybe some stuff
would be
> explained. But I was left without a clue about what the hell I had
just
> spent the whole game doing.

I agree with you there. It felt like they ran out of time for the last
level. Artwork and architecture all done, but no time to flesh it out
with puzzles, raps, enemy ambushes etc. "Hey, let's just do a train
ride through it all - that way we won't have wasted out time creating
this huge section of the game"

> I'm finally playing FarCry and I'm finding this game to be far more
> interesting then HL2. The game looks fantastic, and after being on
such
> tight rails playing HL2, FarCry seems so HUGE! I've had so much fun
crawling
> around sneaking up on the mercenaries. And the sniper rifle is to
cool. What
> I'm enjoying the most is being about to tag the enemy with my
binoculars.
> Man that is so damn handy!

Far Cry is next up for me. Looking forward to it.

> Anyway maybe if I hadn't played Riddick and now
> FarCry before I finished HL2 I'd feel different about HL2. But for me
it was
> fun, but not game of the year material. JLC

Depends how you define GOTY. If it's based on just the single player
game, then Far Cry et al will give a good fight. But if it's based on
the whole package, then you have to consider the popularity of the
multiplayer games and all the mods. The original HL spawned so many
different styles of multiplayer mods and some excellent single-player
maps and is still worth the investment 6 years later, so I think was
justifiably GOTY. If HL2 has the same potential (and I think it does,
given that the map making technilogy is basically the same, so there
are a lot of people with experience out there already), then I suspect
HL2 is also worthy of GOTY.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 7:08:52 AM

difool wrote:
> you know what is really "transcending"?
> its seeing how pathetic you loyal submissive "zombie" valve gamers
act
--- 8< SNIP 8< ---

Have you stopped to consider that he may have accepted how Steam works,
played HL2 anyway and really enjoyed it?
There is an outside chance that Valve missed him when they implanted
the Gabe-is-God brain implant in the rest of us, and he is still able
to exercise free will.

I think if you played HL2 you would enjoy it too. It's a story of one
man's fight against an overbearing corporation-like force with a
megolomaniac leader. He compels everyone to live by his rules alone.
Freedom of choice is not an option. It's you and the few rebels who
have rejected the totalitarian state versus mindless submissive zombies
and brainwashed troops.
And you get to muck about with a gravity gun.
January 25, 2005 10:15:52 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 01:45:33 -0000, "Stoned Monkey"
<tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>why have you put quote marks around those statements?

He must be quoting the voices in his head. Maybe he needs another
layer of tin foil in his hat.
January 25, 2005 7:37:09 PM

<cr0n1k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After having just completed this masterpiece for the third time and
> thoroughly enjoying it I have been trying to come up with one really
> valid reason as to why this game is so great and I think I can sum it
> up in 2 words:
>
> Genre Transcending
>
> Not only does this game define or should I say redefine the FPS genre
> it also transcends it and I think that is what all truely great games
> do, they cross over boundries so they cannot be classed in one
> particular genre.
>
> But in the case of HL2 is doesn't merely cross over boundries, rather
> it obliterates them so think of it less as an FPS but more as a gaming
> 'experience' like no other.

It's a standard FPS, limited by the contraints of its Quake 1-derived engine
and other design decisions. A good FPS, but in no way is it "genre
transcending".
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:23:27 PM

Kroagnon wrote:
> <cr0n1k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > After having just completed this masterpiece for the third time and
> > thoroughly enjoying it I have been trying to come up with one
really
> > valid reason as to why this game is so great and I think I can sum
it
> > up in 2 words:
> >
> > Genre Transcending
> >
> > Not only does this game define or should I say redefine the FPS
genre
> > it also transcends it and I think that is what all truely great
games
> > do, they cross over boundries so they cannot be classed in one
> > particular genre.
> >
> > But in the case of HL2 is doesn't merely cross over boundries,
rather
> > it obliterates them so think of it less as an FPS but more as a
gaming
> > 'experience' like no other.
>
> It's a standard FPS, limited by the contraints of its Quake 1-derived
engine
> and other design decisions. A good FPS, but in no way is it "genre
> transcending".

Standard FPS lol, that is really comical.
No actually it was the best game of 2004 and an instant classic.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:30:36 AM

Thusly "Stoned Monkey" <tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> Spake Unto
All:

>> you know what is really "transcending"?
>> its seeing how pathetic you loyal submissive "zombie" valve gamers act
>> begging on your knees in front of everyone to his "master" valve for
>> more! "please more games master valve!"
>> "feed me with more games! i need more! i can't stand the pain!"
>> "please more cause my brain needs your so transcending games!"
>>
>> i can only describe it as... miserably pathetically humiliating
>
>why have you put quote marks around those statements?

Because he is a "moron".
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 4:15:11 AM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:54:47 -0800, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>How many shooters have you played in the last year? I just finished HL2
>tonight and for me the last 1/3 ruined the rest of the fun I had up until
>that point. As soon as I started the "squad" levels up to the end, the game
>went down hill for me.

Yeah the squad levels were the one part that didn't really work ...
you are really exagerating with the "one third" nonsense though. It's
more like 1/10th of the game at most. A level.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:58:09 AM

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > You really are showing your ingnorance describing HL2 as merely an
FPS
> > on rails.
>
> Then please describe us levels in HL2 where you don't follow the one
path
> the game provides?
>
> > Far Cry eh, ah yes and I bet your prefered movie is low budget
B-plot
> > stuff, would be a perfect match for your low IQ.
>
> I think the plots of Far Cry and HL2 both are not much to talk about.
Only
> with HL2 they managed to contradict the plot of HL1 as well.
HL2 has a wonderful, inspired story.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:00:09 PM

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > HL2 has a wonderful, inspired story.
>
> Yes? Then give us a short summary here, why it is so great...

An evil corporation, ruled by a dictator is implanting a virus in
people's brains which removes their free will and makes them mindless
followers. The dictatorship appears benign, as the public face of it
constantly reminds all who will listen, but beneath the surface their
is a dastardly plan to take over all the computing power in the world
and use to some unspecified evil end (probably advertising).

Fortunately there are a few brave souls bright enough to realise that
this a Bad Thing and that it Must Be Stopped. For starters, all viruses
should come in shiny boxes and not humiliate you.
In the game you play the role of Gordon Difool, a ranting obsessive
with a single-minded aim - to bring down the evil corporation and
destroy its president, Gabe Breen.

Armed with a crowbar and a rage that makes you foam at the mouth, you
must find and destroy the corporation's main weapon; a powerful,
all-seeing, all-controlling computer system known only as Steam. Along
the way you must recruit what help you can from the 27,000 individuals
who really all exist and have really signed the petition and not used a
bot at all to fake their names and who also hate the machinations of
Breen and Steam.

Half-Life 2 brings back some of your favourite characters from the
original. Human grunts who just wade into flame battles with no regard
for their colleagues. Mindless zombies who simply follow the leader and
attack anyone nearby. Head crabs, who I can't fit into this analogy yet
but I'm working on it. And of course, Striders...

Can you scream long and hard enough to make Breen change his mind and
admit that Steam is wrong? Will your pubescent tantrums be eough to
make Breen realise how ugly he is? Can you stop Steam taking over the
world? And can you do all this before your mum gives you enough
pocketmoney to buy HL2 for yourself?

"9/10" - PC Gamer
"Surely GoTY" - Another PC Mag
"Genre Transcending" - cr0...@hotmail.com
"Valve is UGLY!" - difool
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:19:16 PM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

> You really are showing your ingnorance describing HL2 as merely an FPS
> on rails.

Then please describe us levels in HL2 where you don't follow the one path
the game provides?

> Far Cry eh, ah yes and I bet your prefered movie is low budget B-plot
> stuff, would be a perfect match for your low IQ.

I think the plots of Far Cry and HL2 both are not much to talk about. Only
with HL2 they managed to contradict the plot of HL1 as well.

January 26, 2005 1:38:55 PM

<chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Werner Spahl wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > HL2 has a wonderful, inspired story.
>>
>> Yes? Then give us a short summary here, why it is so great...
>>

> An evil corporation, ruled by a dictator is implanting a virus in
> people's brains which removes their free will and makes them mindless
> followers. The dictatorship appears benign, as the public face of it
> constantly reminds all who will listen, but beneath the surface their
> is a dastardly plan to take over all the computing power in the world
> and use to some unspecified evil end (probably advertising).
>
> Fortunately there are a few brave souls bright enough to realise that
> this a Bad Thing and that it Must Be Stopped. For starters, all viruses
> should come in shiny boxes and not humiliate you.
> In the game you play the role of Gordon Difool, a ranting obsessive
> with a single-minded aim - to bring down the evil corporation and
> destroy its president, Gabe Breen.

snip----

LOL! Man that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time! Good Job! JLC
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:40:55 PM

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > HL2 has a wonderful, inspired story.
>
> Yes? Then give us a short summary here, why it is so great...
Why do you care?
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:47:25 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

> HL2 has a wonderful, inspired story.

Yes? Then give us a short summary here, why it is so great...

January 26, 2005 3:47:26 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:47:25 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> HL2 has a wonderful, inspired story.
>
>Yes? Then give us a short summary here, why it is so great...

It's about a company releasing a game, with subliminal messages secretly
put in that cause people to react excessivly positivly or excessivly
negativly. (Classical sabotague story, but good enough for most people.)
The object of the game is to find these subliminal messages, remove them,
and bring the person who inserted them to justice. The end result is that
people can enjoy the game as it was intended.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:56:58 PM

> > It's a standard FPS, limited by the contraints of its Quake 1-derived
> engine
> > and other design decisions. A good FPS, but in no way is it "genre
> > transcending".
>
> Standard FPS lol, that is really comical.
> No actually it was the best game of 2004 and an instant classic.

I put Far Cry above HL2. More open ended gameplay, no apparent engine /
distance limitations presenting an expansive environment, more diverse
aresenal and of course, no Steam.

HL2 is still good but I'd put FC slightly above it.
January 26, 2005 9:56:57 PM

chadwick110@hotmail.com wrote:
> Werner Spahl wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>>

>>>HL2 has a wonderful, inspired story.
>>
>>Yes? Then give us a short summary here, why it is so great...
>>

> An evil corporation, ruled by a dictator is implanting a virus in
> people's brains which removes their free will and makes them mindless
> followers. The dictatorship appears benign, as the public face of it
> constantly reminds all who will listen, but beneath the surface their
> is a dastardly plan to take over all the computing power in the world
> and use to some unspecified evil end (probably advertising).
>
> Fortunately there are a few brave souls bright enough to realise that
> this a Bad Thing and that it Must Be Stopped. For starters, all viruses
> should come in shiny boxes and not humiliate you.
> In the game you play the role of Gordon Difool, a ranting obsessive
> with a single-minded aim - to bring down the evil corporation and
> destroy its president, Gabe Breen.
>
> Armed with a crowbar and a rage that makes you foam at the mouth, you
> must find and destroy the corporation's main weapon; a powerful,
> all-seeing, all-controlling computer system known only as Steam. Along
> the way you must recruit what help you can from the 27,000 individuals
> who really all exist and have really signed the petition and not used a
> bot at all to fake their names and who also hate the machinations of
> Breen and Steam.
>
> Half-Life 2 brings back some of your favourite characters from the
> original. Human grunts who just wade into flame battles with no regard
> for their colleagues. Mindless zombies who simply follow the leader and
> attack anyone nearby. Head crabs, who I can't fit into this analogy yet
> but I'm working on it. And of course, Striders...
>
> Can you scream long and hard enough to make Breen change his mind and
> admit that Steam is wrong? Will your pubescent tantrums be eough to
> make Breen realise how ugly he is? Can you stop Steam taking over the
> world? And can you do all this before your mum gives you enough
> pocketmoney to buy HL2 for yourself?
>
> "9/10" - PC Gamer
> "Surely GoTY" - Another PC Mag
> "Genre Transcending" - cr0...@hotmail.com
> "Valve is UGLY!" - difool

Nice one.

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 11:48:42 PM

Kroagnon wrote:

> I put Far Cry above HL2. More open ended gameplay, no apparent engine
/
> distance limitations presenting an expansive environment, more
diverse
> aresenal and of course, no Steam.

Steam is an absolute joy, instant no hassle patching is wonderful and I
look forward to many more game companies adopting it in the future.
January 26, 2005 11:52:11 PM

"Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> wrote in message

> <cr0n1k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> > It's a standard FPS, limited by the contraints of its Quake 1-derived
>> engine
>> > and other design decisions. A good FPS, but in no way is it "genre
>> > transcending".
>>
>> Standard FPS lol, that is really comical.
>> No actually it was the best game of 2004 and an instant classic.
>
> I put Far Cry above HL2. More open ended gameplay, no apparent engine /
> distance limitations presenting an expansive environment, more diverse
> aresenal and of course, no Steam.
>
> HL2 is still good but I'd put FC slightly above it.

I have to agree. I stared playing FarCry just before I finished HL2. It was
hard to get back into HL2 (which I finished a couple of days ago) after
having so much freedom in FC. I love games where I can decide the best way
to tackle a problem. I'm only on the fourth level of FC but already I've had
more excitement and fun then playing HL2 to it's end. HL2 grew so stale for
me toward the end I still can't get over it. I was really having a blast
with the game until I got back to the city. The squad levels blew it for me.
FC on the other hand, so far, is really an exciting game. The hang gliding
level was one of the coolest things I've ever done in a game. I really felt
like I was hanging from that glider! And the view, WOW! I got a real kick
when I was way up the mountain in the level where I had to blow up the
communication dish and I was able to use my binoculars to see all the way
down to the far end of the beach where my boat was still there, bobbing in
the water. That was a pure gaming moment for me. The way HL2 was so tightly
on rails really took a lot of the fun out of it for me. JLC
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:17:10 AM

JLC wrote:
> "Kroagnon" <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> wrote in message
> >
> > <cr0n1k@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> engine
> >>
> >> Standard FPS lol, that is really comical.
> >> No actually it was the best game of 2004 and an instant classic.
> >
> > I put Far Cry above HL2. More open ended gameplay, no apparent
engine /
> > distance limitations presenting an expansive environment, more
diverse
> > aresenal and of course, no Steam.
> >
> > HL2 is still good but I'd put FC slightly above it.
> >

> I have to agree. I stared playing FarCry just before I finished HL2.
It was
> hard to get back into HL2 (which I finished a couple of days ago)
after
> having so much freedom in FC. I love games where I can decide the
best way
> to tackle a problem. I'm only on the fourth level of FC but already
I've had
> more excitement and fun then playing HL2 to it's end. HL2 grew so
stale for
> me toward the end I still can't get over it. I was really having a
blast
> with the game until I got back to the city. The squad levels blew it
for me.
> FC on the other hand, so far, is really an exciting game. The hang
gliding
> level was one of the coolest things I've ever done in a game. I
really felt
> like I was hanging from that glider! And the view, WOW! I got a real
kick
> when I was way up the mountain in the level where I had to blow up
the
> communication dish and I was able to use my binoculars to see all the
way
> down to the far end of the beach where my boat was still there,
bobbing in
> the water. That was a pure gaming moment for me. The way HL2 was so
tightly
> on rails really took a lot of the fun out of it for me. JLC

I admit not everyone is going to appreciate the 'on rails' nature of
HL2 but I still believe in terms of delivering a game 'experience' the
2 are incomparable, HL2 is simply in another league.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:30:48 AM

Shawk wrote:
> Nice one.

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:40:21 AM

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2005 cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Steam is an absolute joy, instant no hassle patching is wonderful
and I
> > look forward to many more game companies adopting it in the future.
>
> Try Steam with a dial-up connection, Valve fanboy. About
> other problems, please discuss them with difool ;) ...
Go to hell, ASSCLOWN.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:48:35 AM

cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

> I admit not everyone is going to appreciate the 'on rails' nature of
> HL2 but I still believe in terms of delivering a game 'experience'
the
> 2 are incomparable, HL2 is simply in another league.

I'm with Kroagnon and JLC on this one. I really enjoyed HL2. The
Citadel level was a bit of let down (too short, just train rides) and
Ravenholme seemed to belong in a different game, but overall it was an
excellent game. Varying pace, varying geography, some excellent set
pieces, visually stunning. The use of the physics engine was done well
and I'm sure there'll be some fantastic mods that really go to town
with it. I have a few opportunities for improvement, but no real
complaints. I even get on fine with Steam.
I finished HL2, sat back and thought "Wow". Definitely worth the price
of admission.

A few days later I installed Far Cry.

Far Cry is visually stunning. Jaw-droppingly beautiful. Of course it
helps that they set it in a tropical paradise rather than a
half-destroyed Eastern European city. But the way the grass moves and
the waves lap at the beach is fantastic.
The real clincher for me though, is the freedom you have. You can go
anywhere - only tree trunks and rocks impede your progress. There are
therefore several ways to approach a given target. In comparison, HL2
usually has only one way forward and you need to get past each obstacle
in turn.

Perhaps it is fairer to _not_ compare these two games. Sure, they're
both FPSs, but Far Cry is more in the mould of IGI or even Deus Ex and
HL2 is nearer the Doom end of the scale, in terms of linearity.
I'm not far into Far Cry yet, but from what I've seen so far I suspect
it will have the edge over HL2 for me, because I enjoyed the freedom
that games like Deus Ex and IGI offered.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 6:52:41 AM

chadwick110@hotmail.com wrote:
> Werner Spahl wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> HL2 has a wonderful, inspired story.
>>
>> Yes? Then give us a short summary here, why it is so great...
>>

> An evil corporation, ruled by a dictator is implanting a virus in
> people's brains which removes their free will and makes them mindless
> followers. The dictatorship appears benign, as the public face of it
> constantly reminds all who will listen, but beneath the surface their
> is a dastardly plan to take over all the computing power in the world
> and use to some unspecified evil end (probably advertising).
>
> Fortunately there are a few brave souls bright enough to realise that
> this a Bad Thing and that it Must Be Stopped. For starters, all
> viruses should come in shiny boxes and not humiliate you.
> In the game you play the role of Gordon Difool, a ranting obsessive
> with a single-minded aim - to bring down the evil corporation and
> destroy its president, Gabe Breen.
>
> Armed with a crowbar and a rage that makes you foam at the mouth, you
> must find and destroy the corporation's main weapon; a powerful,
> all-seeing, all-controlling computer system known only as Steam. Along
> the way you must recruit what help you can from the 27,000 individuals
> who really all exist and have really signed the petition and not used
> a bot at all to fake their names and who also hate the machinations of
> Breen and Steam.
>
> Half-Life 2 brings back some of your favourite characters from the
> original. Human grunts who just wade into flame battles with no regard
> for their colleagues. Mindless zombies who simply follow the leader
> and attack anyone nearby. Head crabs, who I can't fit into this
> analogy yet but I'm working on it. And of course, Striders...
>
> Can you scream long and hard enough to make Breen change his mind and
> admit that Steam is wrong? Will your pubescent tantrums be eough to
> make Breen realise how ugly he is? Can you stop Steam taking over the
> world? And can you do all this before your mum gives you enough
> pocketmoney to buy HL2 for yourself?
>
> "9/10" - PC Gamer
> "Surely GoTY" - Another PC Mag
> "Genre Transcending" - cr0...@hotmail.com
> "Valve is UGLY!" - difool
lol
fantastic, that was great its definately the best post of its type going
around

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
January 27, 2005 12:17:44 PM

> Perhaps it is fairer to _not_ compare these two games. Sure, they're
> both FPSs, but Far Cry is more in the mould of IGI or even Deus Ex and
> HL2 is nearer the Doom end of the scale, in terms of linearity.
> I'm not far into Far Cry yet, but from what I've seen so far I suspect
> it will have the edge over HL2 for me, because I enjoyed the freedom
> that games like Deus Ex and IGI offered.

I think you're going to love FarCry. What I'm enjoying so much is that I
have to think about what I need to do next. I don't have a clear path to
follow, I can go about the task at hand a number of different ways. And if
the no quick save bugs you all you have to do is hit the ~ key and type
\save_game 1 then hit enter, and to load the game \load_game 1. Works great
and is just as fast as a quick key for me. You don't have to keep re typing
the code in each time either all you have to do is hit ~ then the up arrow
key and hit enter. I'm enjoying replaying some of the areas so I can try out
different tactics. For me the sniper rifle is my best friend :)  JLC
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:25:14 PM

On Thu, 26 Jan 2005 cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

> Steam is an absolute joy, instant no hassle patching is wonderful and I
> look forward to many more game companies adopting it in the future.

Try Steam with a dial-up connection, Valve fanboy. About
other problems, please discuss them with difool ;) ...

January 28, 2005 1:00:25 AM

On 26 Jan 2005 21:17:10 -0800, cr0n1k@hotmail.com wrote:

>I admit not everyone is going to appreciate the 'on rails' nature of
>HL2 but I still believe in terms of delivering a game 'experience' the
>2 are incomparable, HL2 is simply in another league.

Agreed. If you don't like on-rails, like JLC, then yeah HL is not for
you. But for pure quality of gameplay experience and fun, HL2's in a
league of it's own.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 4:18:23 PM

> I admit not everyone is going to appreciate the 'on rails' nature of
> HL2 but I still believe in terms of delivering a game 'experience' the
> 2 are incomparable, HL2 is simply in another league.

The "on rails" problem wouldn't be so bad if the buggy and hovercraft
stretches weren't so long. They were fun IMO, but I think if they were
shorter and if there were more areas to explore along the way, it would have
made a better experience.

I still enjoyed HL2 just as I enjoyed games like Max Payne 1 and 2 (which
were even more linear) but Far Cry gives you more freedom to approach your
battles and thus has much better replayability.

I give Far Cry 2004 GOTY.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 4:18:32 PM

> > Perhaps it is fairer to _not_ compare these two games. Sure, they're
> > both FPSs, but Far Cry is more in the mould of IGI or even Deus Ex and
> > HL2 is nearer the Doom end of the scale, in terms of linearity.
> > I'm not far into Far Cry yet, but from what I've seen so far I suspect
> > it will have the edge over HL2 for me, because I enjoyed the freedom
> > that games like Deus Ex and IGI offered.
> I think you're going to love FarCry. What I'm enjoying so much is that I
> have to think about what I need to do next. I don't have a clear path to
> follow, I can go about the task at hand a number of different ways. And if
> the no quick save bugs you all you have to do is hit the ~ key and type
> \save_game 1 then hit enter, and to load the game \load_game 1. Works
great
> and is just as fast as a quick key for me. You don't have to keep re
typing
> the code in each time either all you have to do is hit ~ then the up arrow
> key and hit enter. I'm enjoying replaying some of the areas so I can try
out
> different tactics. For me the sniper rifle is my best friend :)  JLC

Far Cry and HL2 IMO suffer from the same problems: terrible ending levels. I
found the vast majority of Far Cry extremely enjoyable except for the end
levels.

As for Quick Save, didn't one of the patches add that in officially? Beware
of the quick save / load commands as they can break some of the scripted
events in the game (at least they did for me, but I played it back in May so
maybe it is all fixed by now.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:37:43 PM

> I'm not far into Far Cry yet, but from what I've seen so far I suspect
> it will have the edge over HL2 for me, because I enjoyed the freedom
> that games like Deus Ex and IGI offered.

I no way does Far Cry offer the freedom of Deus Ex.

It is a linear, heavily scripted shooter with a single game path played
on largish game maps.

Looks lovely, has some great terrain but ultimately failed to deliver a
"fun" game IMO.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 10:03:57 PM

Walter Mitty wrote:
> > I'm not far into Far Cry yet, but from what I've seen so far I
suspect
> > it will have the edge over HL2 for me, because I enjoyed the
freedom
> > that games like Deus Ex and IGI offered.
>

> I no way does Far Cry offer the freedom of Deus Ex.
>
> It is a linear, heavily scripted shooter with a single game path
played
> on largish game maps.
>
> Looks lovely, has some great terrain but ultimately failed to deliver
> "fun" game IMO.

Agreed.

The 'freedom' aspect of Far Cry is grossly overrated.

Also, a lot of people use the term 'open-ended' to describe Far Cry's
gameplay when this is factually wrong as 'open-ended' would suggest the
game has multiple endings to missions or endings of ones own making -
absolute nonsense.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:43:24 AM

flightlessvacuum@lycos.com wrote:

> Agreed.
>
> The 'freedom' aspect of Far Cry is grossly overrated.
>
> Also, a lot of people use the term 'open-ended' to describe Far Cry's
> gameplay when this is factually wrong as 'open-ended' would suggest the
> game has multiple endings to missions or endings of ones own making -
> absolute nonsense.

Good man yourself.

Wait for Lewis to comeback frothing at the mouth. A few months ago he
was touting the "autonomous ai" (boggle) and how Far Cry
"revolutionised" gaming. The actual game was a far cry from what he
wanted it to be. OK game, great graphics, but (by far) the most boring
linear fps I ever saw.
January 30, 2005 1:20:25 PM

"Walter Mitty" wrote

> OK game, great graphics, but (by far) the most boring linear fps I ever
> saw.

How many FPSs have you played?
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:26:18 PM

Vince wrote:
> "Walter Mitty" wrote
>

>>OK game, great graphics, but (by far) the most boring linear fps I ever
>>saw.
>

> How many FPSs have you played?

Most. Why?

NB : I'm not slagging Far Cry - just disputing the "non linearity"
claim. A fact though : its the first FPS I never bothered finishing.
!